Options

Mongolia 100km

I'm new to this forum thingie so you'll have to bear with me if I'm a bit slow.

I'm planning on doing the Mongolia Sunrise to Sunset 100km run in June/July 2005. Is there anyone out there who has done this one before?

I'm pretty much getting there with the training but I'm a bit nervous about the travelling as I've heard a few horror stoies about Aeroflot.

Comments

• Options
    Can't help you Ben but I remember reading about the inaugral race and thinking it must be a good one to do.
    Best of luck, hope it goes well for you.
  • Options
    I think all the bad Aeroflots have all crashed now.

Seriously though, don't worry about the planes - I would have thought there woudl be a charter for this anyway.

Is there a web page for the race - woudl be an interesting one to do.
  • Options
    website is www.ultramongolia.com
  • Options
    It sounds like a cracking run run but I've heard rumours that Aeroflot may well deliver me to Vladivostok three weeks late, rather than Ulanbator(sp?)on time.

If anyone out there has run this one I could do with some advice regarding kit to take. Especially what type of shoes to wear - fell, trail, or on/off road runners.

If there is enough interest it would be good to get a group together to travel out. My wife and I will be doing our best to go.
  • Options
    Hi Ben,

I'm just come back from Beijing, and there are a group thinking of running this out there. I can try to put you in touch with them, if you like. (The Beijing marathon was 17th October, and they are all keyed up at the moment).

You can also fly via Beijing and then on - Chinese airlines are now (mostly) much better than Russian ones. There have been recent air accidents on these routes, so although I don't think the risk is that high, I'd avoid the russian airlines (or any chinese airlines using the old russian planes).

Have fun

Jules
  • Options
    Julsz

Sounds like the Beijing option may well be the best way to go. I'm well up for getting a group together, as travelling is so much more fun when there are a few of you. If you could put me in touch with any like-minded people who are planning a spot of madness that would be great. My e-mail is ben.scott@police.dha.gov.im if anyone would like to contact me.

I'm planning on doing the Compton 40 mile downland challenge in March 2005 as a training run for it. I keep looking at the Mongolia 100km website and it looks a real toughie, so I need to keep up the miles. I'm looking forward to it though.
  • Options
    Hi Ben

I've had my eye on this race for 3-4 years and might give it a go. I am trying to get into ultra distance running and hope to start with one or two of the following - Oldbury 30 (Jan), Draycote Water 35 (Feb)and Barry 40 (March).

The Mongolian event looks very low key in terms of numbers of competitors and the times are slow. It might be one of those events where one year it is suddenly "discovered", perhaps covered by TV and becomes a classic that many people aspire to. The country/scenery/people etc seem to offer an experience that most people will never forget. The cost is not too prohibitive at around £1300 all in. This includes flights to Berlin to get a Mongolian Airlines flight to Ulaanbaatar and the race package including food and accommodation in the capital and at the lake. If there is anyone interested in getting a small group together, I may want in.

Rob
  • Options
    I think the times are slow because its an extremely hard course. And it sounds like one you want to take your time over cos of the surroundings.
  • Options
    I was reading one of the review on the website, written by a competitor in 1999, and I think I know why the times are slow. This guy was saying how there was a fair portion of the terrain that was defrosted perma-frost. He reckoned that he sunk up to mid-calf in mud.

Still, rather than get pessimistic about it I'm looking on the positive side.......at least it answers the footwear question. I'll wear something with a quick drying upper!

There is an elevation chart on the website too and it shows a rather large ascent at the 17km mark.

If we can get a reasonable group together, a bit of publicity, and a good wind behind us we'll be destined for Trans World Sport on Channel 4 at 7.00 am on a Sunday morning!!