Options

Shortening recovery time

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to boost recovery time?
I currently cycle to and from work (45mins each way) and it leaves me too tired to do much else. The motivation is there, but whenever I try to do some swimming at lunchtime I feel drained.
The things I do at the moment are:
- Drink loads of water (2+ litres per day)
- Take a multivitamin
- Have a banana straight after excercise.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    a) try taking in some protein after exercise, as well as the carbs

b) try running to work some days instead of cycling

c) try cycling slower some days

d) get to bed earlier!

anybody else got any ideas?

I did pretty much the same cycling routine as you to and from work every day (30 mins.) for about ten years, so I know what you mean about feeling drained!
  • Options
    i think it will come with fitness. when i used to go on a run i would be stuffed for the rest of the day, i felt drained of all energy. but now i'm a lot fitter i only ever properly wake up after a run. i feel really alive after running now.

if not, try upping the amount of carbs you are eating in a day.

-peace
  • Options
    I started doing this earlier this year, and found the 2nd week the hardest. After a few weeks, it did get easier! It's quite possible that you're not eating enough - I frequently feel the need to raid the vending machine in preperation for the ride home!

• Options
    Get a blood test done just to make sure that you are not anaemic as this can make you very tired.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. After reading above, I think that I am most probably not eating enough. I have been deliberately trying to cut a few calories out of my diet in order to lose a few pounds - obviously a few too many!
    Anyway, I don't have to worry for a while. I broke my bike a couple of days ago so I will just be running and swimming until it is fixed.