Options

Anyone heard of Athlete's Asthama?

Following a thread I begun last week about my partner Lizzie suffering from heart burn like symptoms after running for about 10mins. She saw her GP today and is having an ECG scan on Friday. She has been prescribed a strong anti acid type tablet to take twice a day and also the doctor said it could possibly be "Athlete's Asthama"? (sorry if spelling is incorrect!)

Anyone heard/suffer/know anything about it and what could be a cure?

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    Exercise induced asthma (if that it what Lizzie has) is quite common. A lot of top athletes (Paula R included) suffer from it and its generally well controlled with inhaler medication. I find I tend to suffer worst when the weather is either crisp and cold or really hot, but it gets people differently. I'd perhaps post this on the Injury section to get a bit more discussion on it. Hope Lizzie gets sorted soon - must be a real pain not being able to get on with training.
  • Options
    Loon is right - lots of athletes suffer from exercise-induced asthma. I have it when the air is very cold and crisp.
  • Options
    Me too - it was after a nasty virus and I had to use an inhaler for several months.
  • Options
    I'm asthmatic and my only real problems are at night and when i'm exercising in the cold. A couple of puffs each time usually do the trick so nothing really to worry about. As your GP about using becotide as well as ventolin inhalers. The ventolin (blue) is only a short term alleviation of the symptons not a cure. It works by relaxing the compressed lung muscles. Becotide (brown) is used over a long period of time to build up lung muscles. It is steroid based and is supposed to reduce the use of ventolin. Most astmatics who are on becotide increase useage in the winter.

Hope this helps. Asthma needn't stop your running.
  • Options
    If you do a search on the injuries section there are at least two threads concerning this topic.

Hope that they are of help.

I have recently been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma and whilst my running is very slow at the best of times, it has not affected what I do.

Best of luck to Lizzie and I hope that she gets it sorted soon.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma at 20. I have found that it is totally controllable. My worst moments are when it is very cold, especially if it misty, and when I over-exert myself, such as hill training. It just means I need a longer recovery time after running anaerobically.
  • Options
    It could be exercise induced heartburn....!

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/HBURN.HTM

if it's asthma then you probably want to stick to the prescribed inhalers like the rest of us. If it's the heartburn, it's really worth looking at alternatives to the antacids - they are great but long term you might find alternatives that aren't quite so heavy on the system (but check with a professional)... pretty harmless in the first instance would be chamomile tea and aloe vera juice (pure), but please get advice before proceeding.
  • Options
    Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all who responded to my thread.

Lizzie's ECG scan was fine. Running still difficult so she has been given an inhaler to use. We hope this may be a solution.

Thanks to all who gave feedback. Good luck with your winter training.
  • Options
    Just a thought for you.
    I have had asthma for the last twenty years and it hadn't really caused a problem until a year ago, since when it has caused severe problems.
    I decided to try homeopathy and it seems to have a positive effect. Still not back to last years levels but it definitely seems to have been more beneficial than all the Western medicine I've been given over the last twelve months.