Options

Does anyone else get shoulder pains whilst running??

2»

Comments

• Options
    Speedy

I stop running to do them, was described to me as a tension pain, forcing the shoulders down releases the tension, i also do it whislt i'm sat at a desk or driving (but not with me arms by my side!). Never tried an osteopath/chiropracter. Before you spend any money make sure its not because of the cold weather.
  • Options
    I first had this sort of pain five years ago and the doc told me it was spondilitis.But it went after two months but still resurfaced now and again.I have it again now and it's pain free until about half a mile and then ..boy..it comes on and is excrutiating.I can just about run through it for about two miles but has anyone in the thread found a solution that works, really works? Or it's gonna be a "time thing" again..!
  • Options
    before running, do a stretch putting one arm down your back over your shoulder, one up your back along your spine, & try to hold hands (most ppl can't). Repeat on the other side. Makes it go away after a few weeks. Also interlace fingers, arms straight out in front parallell to floor, keeping arms straight gently move hands from side to side.
  • Options

I joined this forum because of the shoulder stitch thing - I have had this for YEARS with almost any cardio exercise and apparently (according to my physio) it's because the top of the shoulder is a referral point for pain in the diaphragm.  So the diaphragm might be stitching, but you feel it in your shoulder instead.  Weird huh?!  I don't know what to do about it though, no matter what I try I still seem to get the pain if I run even a short distance - I just ignore it now. 

But now I've read all the posts, so to add, I also get dead arms in my sleep, but this is usually because I sleep with my arm above my head so the circulation is cut off.  It feels really weird when you wake up but I don't think it's dangerous??  I just lift my arm down with my other hand (in order to avoid knocking myself on the head, oooh I'm graceful) and keep it below my heart and the circulation seems to start again within seconds?  Eek, if it is dangerous, let me know, I'll keep an eye out on the forum!!

• Options

hi guys ive had this neck/shoulder/back problem for weeks now and since i try to run 4 to 5 k every other night its now interfering with my running the jarring makes the pain unbearable im booked in at a sports injury clinic on monday (29th sept) this will be my first appointment and i promise to let you know what happens

i dont think i can keep taking painkillers its affecting my running by making me lethargic anti- inflammatory drugs dont work either i'll keep you up to speed

Ged

• Options
    I don't except for when I did my mara - they started aching from about 6 miles and by the end of the race they hurt a lot. Couldn't lift my left arm for several days. never happened since - I suspect the fact I'd had a monster weights work-out the day before the mara had something to do with it! Not advised.
  • Options

well its not good news guys my new physio says she thinks that my problem is disc related and i need to go into traction as manipulation will not work in this instance, i have also been refered for an MRI on my upper spine "eeek whats happening" , I have to wait to find a physio that has a traction bed now i may have found one in Burnely

I'll keep you informed of whats happening, back to the pain killers in the meantime

• Options

Hi all

Just noticed this thread and thought i'd shed some light from my experience as a physio.  

I have had regular shoulder pain in both shoulders for the past few years but only really while running distance.  

From what i've seen with quite a few patients who are runners, and with my shoulder pain, is that its largely due to posture.  

shoulder impingement means that tendons that cross the shoulder normally fit through a small space created by the bones in the shoulder to insert on to the humerus.  if this wasn't already small enough, if your posture is pretty poor- with shoulders rounded and forwards, especially after your well into your run and you start to fatigue, the tendons will have even less space to move, plus the natural swing of your arms with running will just add to the irritation and these tendons will get impinged by the bones in the shoulder,  inflaming the tendons.

obviously this condition won't cover everyone on here, and you should always go on your own gp's/ physio's advice, but something simple to try out when you get that niggly shoulder pain, or before you get it, is to squeeze your shoulder blades together and depress your shoulders down.  i also tape myself into that position when i go for a run.

works for me!

hope that helps!