Options

Leeds Abbey Dash 10k

2»

Comments

• Options
    I also did the Leeds 10K Abbey Dash yesterday for the first time, my first competitive race for 20 years!. Knocked 3 minutes off my training time to do it within my target time of 1 hour (58.15) and was really pleased with it. As an M40 any improvement on my times is a big bonus. As it’s a fast race (for some) I couldn’t sustain that for a half or full marathon though.

It was a great occasion, despite the lousy weather, and I really enjoyed it – even the bit of cross-country in the Abbey grounds.
  • Options
    Confession time. I splashed someone pretty badly on the way out. I apologised profusely to her but I thought I was going to be involved in a Nike Advert type scenario for a while.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link Drew. Logged on and printed the results - all 58 pages of them!! Did anyone buy last nights evening post - anyone recognise themselves? Chimp whens the next local race? (preferably without hills). 5K or 10K, dont think I can manage any more than 10K.
  • Options
    Well done everyone. This was my also my first 10k and was really pleased with my time -53 mins. I only saw the 8km and 9km markers and had no idea where the finish line was until I was almost on it - always a welcome sight! Beginning to think I am a curse on weather at races - Glasgow half-marathon and Leeds 10k......
  • Options
    Did ok, still a way to go before I'm totally back on form. At least I laid to rest the debacle that was my Bradford 10k time. Wasn't it busy at the start! Did 39 minutes something so can't moan as I thought I'd never get under 40 minutes ever again.
    Did you opt for the mud or the big puddle at the abbey? I did the big puddle
  • Options
    Roots. Not many 10k's round here for a while. There's Woodkirk in January but thats pretty hilly. They all seem to kick off end June and then they all fall on the same day (Skipton, Pudsey & Harrogate last year!!!!!) And of course there's the Race for Lifes (Races for Life?)

Mud!
  • Options
    I went to the results page too, ploughed through the 58 pages....and my name isn't in there! I definitely remember running the race, so I'm not sure what happened there!
  • Options
    Surely the puddle was the only choice? I'd rather be just wet than wet and slippery - if you know what I mean...

My first race was the Dovedale Dash in early November and that involved a river crossing that was so deep I had wet shorts for the rest of the race. After that christening, a bit of rain is easy money!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Lynda, Glasgow was 10 times worse than this! Both of them were good fun though. Excellent time for your 1st 10k. What did you do at Glasgow?

Fishy, did you try searching for your name?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Monique..the results show you and I finished in the same time of 39:28, spooky. You sound as if your form has dipped a little, been injured or something? As you beat me by nearly three minutes in the Brass Monkey half marathon earlier this year I presume you will be back on top form for the same race at the end of Jan.2003, best of luck.
  • Options
    I saw all the distance markers, didn't realise the 7k one was incorrect but did wonder why my average 5:15/km went up to 6 for that km.

Finished in 52 mins, only other 10k I've done (British 10k, July) I did in 59 mins so I guess I have to be pleased, though secretly I was hoping for sub-50, with < 53 being good and < 55 acceptable.

1/2M training for the Brass Monkey next for me.
  • Options
    Did you get caught up in the crowds at the beggining though Monkey? Surprising how much time you lose picking your way through. Like you I was hoping for sub 50 but I knew that was a no hoper by the time I'd got to TGI Fridays and realised I hadnt started running!!

Hey Monkey and Chimp, both doing Brass Monkey!
  • Options
    Drew
    Yes, Glasgow was 10 times wetter! Couldn't believe it - drove through it on way up from Greenock and thought - please let this rain be heading the other way! Finished in 2hrs 10mins. How about you?

• Options
    Chimp, I was plodding along within 30 seconds of the start so I don't think that was it - just not quite up to 50min pace yet. Never mind, it will just make it sweeter when I do crack it.
  • Options
    Drew, I copied the results into a Word file and searched for my name, and couldn't find it either. I got the official results this morning and I'm not on that, so I rang Help the Aged and they said the guy who did the results said he'd made 5 errors. Just my luck - but I really wanted to see my name and official time in black and white!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Lynda, finished in 1:24. Had planned to go well under 1:20 but had an awful day, feeling really ill after about 3 or 4 miles.

I always enjoy Glasgow as the course runs past or close by 3 of the three houses I have lived in! I also used to spend lots of time in Pollok Park.
  • Options
    Monkey, keep it going. Last year at Abbey Dash i did 52 mins with only a little bit of training. I joined a club in October and trained quite well for it and did a PB of 49 mins. It was, as you say a sweet moment. If you can go from 59 to 52mins within a few months if won't be long before you'll crack 50. Good luck.
  • Options
    Wardi, I'm not ignoring you, I just have a pc at work and am only in 3 days. Yes I have had a dip in form which I put down to running Blackpool marathon 8 weeks after London I am only just getting back into it. Also I have been concentrating more on triathlon training and am now learning tumble turns!
    I will be doing Brass Monkey when I truly hope I have recovered form, we shall see.
  • Options
    It did seem more crowded this year, I got held up by the 5 a-breast runners at the start and missed my PB by 9 seconds ;-(
    43:48. I did manage negative splitts though which considering the conditions was quite an acheavement (spelling ??), and I got all of the Km markers although 7 scared the life out of me.

My wife and my work colegeue both managed PB's both under 55mins

See some of you at Bolsover in the morning or Southwell at the end of the year

• Options
    This race gets more popular every year, i have done it 3 times now. It is always advertised as fast and flat which is not strictly true. There is a fairly steep climb going round the Abbey and again near the end coming up to the Town Hall. I have never got a pb on it and i think the Dewsbury is a much flatter course.