Options

Biddenham 10k

Hello there - this is my first message on the board. I am entering the Biddenham 10k in Bedford and would be interested to hear from anybody who knows a bit about the event - flat or hilly, terrain etc. I've only done one 10k this summer and that was in London Docklands in a time of 53 mins, so I'm no pro! Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Yes I've run it for the last 3 years and really like it. It is all off-road after the first kilometre although the second half is mainly down a concrete pathway next to the river. The first half is track or across fields and generally not too muddy although there are a couple of places where it can be. Most is alongside the river and scenic - more so than Docklands. Generally flat although slightly uphill near the end. The facilities are good and generally it has been a very nice autumn day (fairly warm). Reasonable turn out but not huge numbers. See you there. Not sure how you are travelling but it is just outside Bedford on the west side. If you travelled by train to the main Bedford station it would be a bit of a jog to the venue but not huge.
  • Options
    Hi!
    I've run this for three years now, too. It was the first run I ever did and I really likes it. It can get muddy, and you have to cross a couple of stiles, but there is a great athosphere and the facilities are very good. My best time was aroud 49 minutes.
  • Options
    Paul
    Are you the Paul Brooks from BJC?
    Nick
  • Options
    Nick,

The very same. Didn't know you were a runner Nick. If you are still in Cheddington then this is a local run for you.
  • Options
    Paul, Linda - you obviously know this run, so please advise - I'm considering doing this run - never done a 10k before, so am guessing at a time of 60+ mins. Is this race suitable for 'beginners' like me or is it a serious one??
  • Options
    Hello, Jo!
    First, please excuse all the typing errors in my previous message. I think that you would be fine running 10k: and reading your profile, you don't sound like a beginner to me. 20 miles per week is pretty impressive, in my opinion. You should aim for a time under 60 minutes. As I said, it can be muddy underfoot, but, with luck, the weather will be fine that weekend. See you there!
  • Options
    Linda - if you read my profile carefully it says 20 miles OR LESS ! In reality, I only do about 10-12 per week. However, with 3.5 weeks to go, I think I'll probably give it a try. So - the one with the red face at the back will be me.
  • Options
    Jo,

As Linda says you should go for it.

There is a reasonably sized field of mixed ability (I did a race recently where there were only 20 of us and I just knew it was going to be a club race (yes I was last) - but that is rare). If you hit 60 minutes you will definitely have company. The whole race is quite friendly and scenic and traffic-free (apart from two well-marshalled village road crossings). I also tend to be in the 25 miles or less training category and will get round in less than 52 minutes so I am sure you will be under 60 comfortably.