Options

Is it too late?

I have the opportunity to take part in the FLM next year but only started running about 5 months ago. I completed a 10k at the end of Oct and a 10m run yesterday in a time of 1hr33. Is it too late for me to get fit enough to run?

Comments

• Options
    Depends on what your weekly mileage is at the moment really, but from what you've said you sound like you should be able to train following one of the prescribed schedules. Lucky you, if you've got the chance to run, (many of us haven't) go for it!!
  • Options
    No, it's not too late. Have a look at the RW schedules, you should be able to start one with no problems.
  • Options
    You should be fine Claire - plenty of people start from scratch. If you can do 10 miles OK by now then take it from there.

Assuming that you're doing about 10 as a long run now, aim to build to 13 or so by new year, and then add a couple of miles to the long run every two weeks until you're up to about 20 or 22.

Plus up the other weekly runs. Take a look at the schedules. I'm in roughly the same position as you now (took a long break over the summer) and I aim to get up to about 40 mpw by March, if not before.

Best of luck, Iain
  • Options
    Depends how you look at it!

I started running Easter 2002, with the intention of running London Marathon 2003.
    12months training! Over the summer, my training levels dropped quite a bit, due to the heat - but I still felt I could do it.
    But, got rejection letter today:-(

How: I was fit anyway; I'm young, 19; I've play rugby 3-4months/year and train in various ways for the rest of the year.
    After 1-2months running I ran ~13.5miles in ~1:55 (approximate, because the dist was recorded by driving the route in my car; and time recorded on watch); that was with a backpack containing change of clothes & ~3L water. I've since run 19.5miles in ~3:00, over some hilly sections and with a cold. My target is sub 4:00 (well, around the 4hr mark; pref sub!) marathon, within 12months.

I'm off to apply for http://www.shakespearemarathon.org.uk/

Smythe
  • Options
    Claire you didn't do Thanet 10 yesturday by any chance did you?
    I started in 2001 and ran my first 10 in Thanet in 1.30. I then ran Canterbury (1.28) injured myself and had to pull out of Tunbridge 1/2. Ran Thanet 20 in March (3.30), and then FLM in 4.26, (the injury still lingured so I walked for three minutes of each mile from 15 onwards).
    You can check my site for inspiration on www.smithfamily.me.uk. This will give you an idea of a novice starting without the benefit of Runners World and armed only with the FLM acceptance mag. This year (since reading Runners World and reading the threads on the site) I hope to dramatically improve, (if I get in).
    So in answer to your question based on my experiance of this year.
    You will easily complete the course if you keep up the training. BUT DO NOT OVERDO IT. I tried to run too fast and too far too quickly. result injuries, physio and a slower time on the day than I could have achieved. Remember to train with fluids (as you go on longer runs you need more liquid - which has a side effect so you need to train for this as well (something people don't mention but something I learnt the hard way on my first race), taking food, trainers etc on longer runs.
    GOOD LUCK ON THE DAY
  • Options
    I have not ran for over 15 years but started training in August, this was mainly for fitness and to lose some weight. I have lost nearly 2 stone and have got up to a weekly mileage of approx 25miles. I also ran 13 miles in training on my own the other day in 2.05. What time should i be aiming at for a marathon ? Also if i get a marathon place what races should i run before hand.
    Grant
  • Options
    you can get round if you start training now Claire, use A RW programme, and dont expect a great time, just finish
    it WILL be worth it
  • Options
    Grant: What time -->

Well, I'm no expert; but based on a 2:05 1/2 marathon, I'd say 4:40 - 5:00

Smythe
  • Options
    Claire - you're in pretty much the same place as I was this time last year except my 10mile time was slower and I completed FLM. So yes there's enough time to get fit for London.

Go for it, it's an experience like no other and if I get a club place I'll be there again next April.
  • Options
    bags of time Claire. The key thing is not to over do it though. I was in the same position as you last Xmas and ramped up the miles too quickly and ended up getting injured and not being able to do a spring marathon. Picked it up again post injury and did the Dublin marathon in October just gone. Would have been ready in summer but decided to defer the build up a little.
  • Options
    Piece of cake, Claire! Well not quite, but you have certainly got a platform to build upon. Just don't do what I did when training for my first marathon and get too enthusiastic and increase your mileage too soon. Do enough miles, but listen to your body it'll tell you when it needs a break. See you on 13th April?
  • Options
    What I want to know is what side effects is ashley smith talking about and does everyone get them no matter what? Its not runners trots by any chance is it? I thought you only get this if you eat just before a marathon not from drink?
  • Options
    Erm, i have them on a daily basis
    Immodium pre race
  • Options
    So what causes this then?
  • Options
    noone knows
    You may have to plan a 10 min warm up near home , then toilet, then run
    dairy products and coffee have been blamed
  • Options
    So some people get in and some dont then? If I was to get this would I have had it by now? Bless your little heart. You must loose loads of weight.
  • Options
    If only
    (3 stone overweight, and still running)
  • Options
    At least your running not sitting on your arse! Am I safe then? Would I have had this by now? By the way I reckon you will lose that weight in no time at all. Good on you.