Options

Swimming West London

Hi

Running is going great but I want to do a bit of cross training. Can anyone advise of a DECENT swimming pool in West London (Ealing, Chiswick, Richmond). I am not a snob but most of the pools I have visited have been awful (dirty, overcrowded and full of gangs of kids making as much noise as possible)

I would to prefer not to have to join a club as I will only visit at weekends (I run during the week)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Could you get to Hayes? There's a nice 25m pool there. 02085 732785. They often put lanes out, though I'm not sure about weekends, as I go to the weekday earlybirds sessions. The deep end is nice and deep so you can dive properly, and the showers are good, though I don't know about the mens. The pool's clean and a good temperature. There's one in Uxbridge as well, but I've never been to that one. Hope that's been some help.
  • Options
    You could search for a pool close to work and go before work or at lunch time - thus avoiding the crowds
  • Options
    There is apparently a pool in Ealing at the Gurnell Leisure Centre. I don't know if you've tried it, I haven't. The pool is supposed to be 50m in length which means less turning and more swimming...always good.
  • Options
    Putney is nice and not crowded.
  • Options
    Or there's always the Serpentine in Hyde Park....
  • Options
    Gurnell pool (Ruislip Road East) is nice at weekends. The 50m pool is split into 2. One half is for an aerobics class at 8am and the other half is split into slow, medium and fast lanes.

There's also a pool for kids.

It starts to get fairly busy after 9am.

If you don't have a car then you'll need to get a bus from Ealing (E2/E7/297) as the pool is probably nearer Greenford/Perivale than Ealing. There's a pay and display car park next to the pool

There's another pool in Brentford close to Chiswick roundabout but this gets very busy with kids as there's a water slide. Nearest BR station is Kew Bridge.

• Options
    Isleworth Leisure Centre gets my vote as it is always really quiet! At 8pm the other night there were only 3 of us in the pool! It is a 25m pool and as there is also a lagoon pool the kids steer clear of it. I can't remeber the phone number but it is on the Twickenham Road if that is any help!!

Richmond also has a pool, (Pools in the Park) but it is full of kids at the weekend and despite there being lanes you still seem to get bombarded by them!
  • Options
    Not in West London but if you are in town Oasis is a must - swimming outdoor in central London is the only way to relax away from the hussle and bussle - that is the only thing I miss since I stopped working in town.

Lindi
  • Options
    If Hampton is not too far, there is a heated open air pool which is open all year round - even Christmas Day. Check out their website www.hamptonpool.co.uk.

The pool is 36.5m.

Some friends in Kingston recommend running to the pool, swim and run back - whatever the weather. Much as I love swimming I'm not sure about this option!!!!