Options

You don't have to slow down when you reach 40!

I've been running since June 2001 and I must say that I do not subscribe (yet) to the notion that you get slower as you get older. I am setting PBs at every race I take part in: 1/2 marathon, marathon, triathlon (all distances). I heven't got below 37 minutes for 10k yet, but there is still time!

What works for me? Train smarter not harder. Take rest days but make it active rest. Vary the types of training you do. ENJOY IT!

Rich.

Comments

• Options
    Oh god, not another "smarter not harder" thread.

No matter how old you are when you start you'll improve for approximately 3 years. There's no secret formula. Its just the way it is. Come back in 2005 and tell us how you're getting on.
  • Options
    I'm 41 and I've been running for 3 years. I got another the pb for 5 miles on Sunday - 31:06. I know that when I started, I spent a lot of time plodding along at a comfortable pace. I enjoyed this but I wasn't getting any faster. I'm currently concentrating on improving speed and I find that I now enjoy that too. So, I go along with Richard on this. I have club mates who also took up running later in life and found they peaked in their 50s. One of these ran 2:50 in the FLM in 2002 - only 2 minutes slower than 20 years earlier!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Apparently you can expect to make improvements for at least 10 years after you take up running. So it seems you have a few good years still to go!!

Happy running all!
  • Options
    Just had another look at my reply to Richard Norris and realised it reads extrememly snotty. I didnt mean it to sound QUITE so nasty Richard

Sorry Richard. I'm particularly sorry if, as I suspect, you're new to the forum. Whatever my thoughts on the subject there was no excuse for rudeness.
  • Options
    Richard,
    I started running about 30 years ago when I got too feeble to play rugby anymore. (and it wasn't so rough in those days either).
    I improved for around 7 years as I gradually realised I could train more and harder before eventually getting an injury which sidelined me for about 6 months every year. Eventually I found that by standing on one foot while shaving every day I cured the injury and had another golden spell of PB's (they had changed the distances of most races while I'd been injured). About 2 years after I hit fifty I started the inevitable decline but still run because I enjoy it. After all who runs if they don't?

The answer is, Don't start running until you are seriously old and you may be able to keep on improving until you die. For one thing your joints aren't completely knackered.

Sorry Chimp, I seem to have revealed me true colours, must be the vitamins.
  • Options
    I started running a year ago and am now 46. I have run one marathon , 5 half marathons and plenty of 10Ks and 5Ks.I am noticing a gradual improvement to my times and realise that the only way to make a noticeable improvement is to do speed work and I need to make the effort and find somewhere suitable to do this, rather than just club night runs which tend to be at a steady /slightly below race pace.I would hope to better my times for many years yet and have set myself targets for each distance , eg half marathon 1 45, 10k 42 , 5k 21mins etc. I have not quite reached them yet but once I do, I will then set more target times.
    I only run 2-3 times a week on average
    (one often being a race) so I think I ought to do more , and I guess you only get out what you put in.
    I would imagine that after a few years I may find I do not improve , but that is hopefully a long way off.
    B
  • Options
    you mean im gonna improve
    WOW
    (37, running for 6 months)
  • Options
    RangerRanger ✭✭✭
    I started running in 1984. This year at age 50 I set not only my pb for 5k but also my 3 fastest times.
    You can improve no matter how long you have been running or how old you are.
  • Options
    Theres hope for me then!
  • Options
    Morning All!

I'm 48 -less 21 days - and overweight, but fairly fit. I started to run in Sept this year, my aim is to do the Manchester Run for Women and the GNR all in the same year as my 25th WA.

I'm doing this for me, but as luck would have it I'm really enjoying it, times and distances don't matter to me - but I know I have to reach a certain level to manage my goals.

We certainly ain't past it folks!
  • Options
    Well, I'm 40 and I've been running for nearly 3 years, and I've set PBs in my last 3 serious road races: half-marathon (1-17), marathon (2-42) and 10 miles (58 mins). But - it is getting tougher, and it has been achieved by training harder (as well as smarter).

My advice: remember to savour every PB, because you never know whether you will be able to better it in the future...
  • Options
    Good on you Hilary, keep it up. It was my 40th birthday and the accompanying mid-life crisis that really inspired me to run on a regular basis (had mucked about for a year or two before and never managed to get back to my pre-pregancy weight).

Now nearly 42 and enjoying my running and probably never been fitter! Would love to get under 60mins for 10k in 2003 but if not doesn't matter so long as I maintain my fitness level.

Also, have found that having children seems to have given a level of stamina I didn't realise I had before (could be the impact of raising my pain threshold though. I know Sonia O'Sullivan encouraged Paula R to have kids. She might just have been right - anyone else found this?
  • Options
    I started running in 2000 at the age of 46 having not run at all since I was at school. I'm still posting PBs in training and races and hope that this will continue. Havn't played the Speed Work card yet but suspect I will have to soon in order to get me out of my comfort zone.
  • Options
    Flatfeet - You could be right about the pain thing. I do know that any worries about what I looked liked when I was partaking in strenuous activities - giving birth, netball, tennis etc & now running - vanished after producing kids in front of 2 classes of med students! Taught them a word or two they'd not heard before I'll wager!!!!!
    Midwives both said it was the bluest birth they had attended!
  • Options
    Ok that's it, I've done it!

I've entered the GNR.
    Being a tight Aberdonian I will not waste the money so now I have to do it!

Better go and lie down to recover spending money!
  • Options
    Barkles mate, theres always hope for you.

Just maybe not at running.

Heh heh!!
  • Options
    HOW to enter GNR
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Hilary, had my second at home and my postman wouldn't look me in the eye for weeks! (Don't want you to think he was actually in the room but he did happen to make his delivery as I did).

But really, and to get away from birth stories, I do think there is something in the idea that women strengthen physically as they get older and particularly after childbirth. I'm sure there are medical studies on this. And to be purely anecdotal, I know a number of women who have started running or taken up some other strenuous exercise who wouldn't have felt capable of it when they were younger...I'm certainly one of them.

Good luck with the GNR.
  • Options
    Flatfeet, I actually agree with you. I was
    amuch stronger netball player when I started again in my 40's. I was also told I was a much better rider in my 30's than as a younger person.

Possible we have more determination and sticking power?

All I know is I'm enjoying my sport more now than I ever did in my youth.
  • Options
    All. It's nice to get such a lot of feedback from a first message! I may not write again for some time - it takes a while for the grey matter to come up with something to say. Brain's not as fast as the feet! Good luck in all your training and races. Have a good Xmas and New Year. Keep running!!
  • Options
    Richard. Dont let having nothing to say stop you contributing! It never has with me!
  • Options
    Richard,

If you get a lot of feedback it could be you are training too hard and too soon after eating. Exercise restraint at all times.
  • Options
    Aha - I understand now! I thought my old drinking partner was refering to alcohol intake when he quoted "Pace, Grace & Elegance". I guess I was wrong!
  • Options
    Why do people make such hard work of one of lifes most natural actions.
    Grass-Hills-Pavement-Slow-Fast-Left Foot-
    Right Foot-10k Half Marathon etc etc
    Just get out Love it- Feel it - Be it
    ...just be a runner.