Options

What started you running?

I started running when I moved out into the countryside and wanted to see more of the area, without spending all day walking. What about you?

Comments

• Options
    A drunken bet New Years Eve 2000 I ashamed to say.
  • Options
  • Options
    What was the bet Chimp? Just to run a race or more?
  • Options
    I was more of a swimmer and I tried to get my mate to swim a BT swimathon. He said he'd do it if I ran Horsforth 10k. We ended up running Skipton and did about half a dozen races before Horsforth.

Pretty boring story. Hey, reckon it would win the shoes??
  • Options
    I broke my collarbone and after being given the all clear 6 months later I decided to enter the Nike 10km to have something to aim for whilst getting fit again...
  • Options
    I'm with Redhead - Race for life and the rest is history.....
  • Options
    The wife.

She decided I was getting to be a fat balding lazy b******d who needed to get off his a***e. Only she put it blunter and ruder!!

• Options
    Bought a treadmill for my husband so he would get some exercise...

Needless to say I did my first half marathon in September while he occasionally goes out for a 3 mile jog if I nag him enough!!
  • Options
    When I was drunk last year, I said "Next year I'm going to do the Lincoln 10k!"
    So I did (when I was sober.)
  • Options
    Was over weight. Lost a lot of weight on an exercise bike. Thought that I would then be okay at running. Went out for a 2 mile run (as the exercise bike was getting very boring). Found the run incredibly difficult. Bloody mindedness kept me at it until I felt I could do a run without my heart bursting out of my chest. By which time decided that I enjoyed running.
  • Options
    Divorced, new partner persuaded me to start jogging in may 2000 followed by a fun run after a few weeks. No holding me back now
  • Options
    I watched the European Athletics championships in 1981(?) got inspired - started jogging round the village, much to the horror of my parents.

Run on and off since then, and not at all when I was a student, but joined a running club in the mid 1990s. Would like to say "and never looked back" but life since then has been a catalogue of injuries and work committments so have yet to fulfil my potential (which is there somewhere, I know)
  • Options
    ...drunken bet seems to be the favourite answer, and it is mine aswell. Quite late at night, in our local public house we agreed to do the '70 Wild Miles' in Scotland, and I was nominated to do the run leg of the race. That was back in 1993 I think, and I am still not as fit as I wanted to be for that race !
  • Options
    Ran at school - the 1500m was my strong event. Got into running and walking when I was in 6th form and first year I went to Uni. Didn't run much when working full time, then when I went back to uni and joined the TA I realised my comparative lack of fitness and did something about it! Now (when not injured) I'm running between 35 and 40 miles per week, and cycling / swimming variable mileages per week too.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Because my partner was much fitter than me and I was worried that he'd lose interest in a couch potato. Joined a gym and found I could run increasingly further and faster on the treadmill, but it was boring.

Decided to take it outside (free, no gym membership fees, no queuing time for the treadmill, can be done anywhere ...), bought RW last February and saw Race for Life advertised, entered ... the rest is history!

Now I am well and truly hooked and my partner has given up exercise! Typical!
  • Options
    took a look at my dad and my older brother's beer gut one day and decided that I didn't want to look like that.

Didn't want to give up drinking either - so thought I'd run it off.

It has worked so far.

but now find I drink much less due to not wanting it to get in the way of my training and I'm totally addicted (to running that is not alcohol).

- ex-drinker with a running problems

cheers
  • Options
    I have also ran since I was about 17 (many years ago!) to keep fit for rugby, rowing and life in general. Often did other stuff to stay fit like swimming, gyms,etc but always came back to running. I rarely did much more than about 4 miles until two years ago when we were away for New Year with some friends. One of them had just done the New York Marathon and I went out running with her a couple of times. I suddenly realised (after 18 years) that if I ran slower I could go further! Inspired by my friend, Yvonne, (who is both older than me and a woman!) I have done become a much more serious runner. I have built up the mileage, picked the speed up a bit again and in the last 2 years I have done 3 10Ks and 3 halfs. The plan is to do the Edinburgh Marathon next June.
  • Options
    I've always been athletic, so when I no longer played team sports after leaving school, running became the main one.
  • Options
    Bloke at college wanted to get a team of people together to push a hospital bed around the Manchester Marathon. For some reason I "volunteered".
  • Options
    The bathroom scales said 18st 1lb!
  • Options
    First time it was the summer of 1980. Coe and Ovett were battling it out in Moscow and the camp where I was having a holiday had an early morning running club so I thought I would give it a go. I ran a mile and thought that was wonderful, so I joined the school club when I got back.

My first season of cross country was spent coming in the last five every race but I stuck at it and was best in the school three years later.

Second time: had spent a post-divorce year clubbing, drinking and binge eating and simply saw myself in the mirror and decided it was about time I did something about the belly that was protuding outwards. The best part now is the fresh air and being able to enjoy the views without getting out of breath.
  • Options
    Being 4 stone overweight did it for me, lost 3 1/2 so far,
    tried excercise bike, soon gave that up sooooo boring, started running never looked back, some lovely countryside to run in where I live, I am so lucky........
  • Options
    Watching the GNR on telly, a young woman who had the dreaded Big C was running and I think raising money as well. If that brave lady could do it then a fat old bat like me could as well.

Decided to aim for 2003. Manchester ladies race, 25th WA and then the GNR. Started in Sept, didn't tell husband I'd started until I could do a mile - I'm now up to 3 1/2 or so - very slow but who cares. I'm doing it!
    2003 will be the year I finally achieved something just for me! Just off to enter GNR now.

Mr is so pleased he's doing the GNR with me!
  • Options
    Heard ad for Todays Runner on Capital Radio - used to broadcast on 537m in those days - bought mag - realised that running could be fun after the years of torment at school - hurt knees (badly) - few years off - few years on - baby arriving meant had to stop going to gym in evenings so went running at lunchtimes instead. Babies stop you doing all sorts of things you know!!
  • Options

I was the fat asthmatic kid at school who was always picked last for any teams, and who was picked on, abused, bullied and generally humiliated by the kids and the staff for being rubbish at sport. PE made my school life hell--I spent years making myself sick, hurting myself, anything to get out of going to school. Amazingly I got to college and got my doctorate in the end, but that was no thanks to my secondary school, who could easily have compromised my education by not dealing with the situation.
    Anyway, the reason I started running was simply because I couldn't--and I'd had it drilled into me for years that I was rubbish at this sort of thing anyway. So after I'd learned to swim, I thought, right: I'll run. So I did.
    And I am rubbish at it, too (!). But this is the first time in my life I've been able to run for more than fifty feet without suffocating, and it's amazing. Even more amazing is the fact that all the kids who took the p*ss out of me at school are now all fourteen stone chainsmoking mothers of three, whilst the staff . . . well, the only reason they're still alive is because I don't think they're worth being banged up for. However--everytime I'm out on a run and things get hard, I remember my games teacher standing over me yelling at me not to be so lazy. It was a hot day, and with the grass and the heat, I just couldn't breathe, and I collapsed on the track. Looking back I'm utterly horrified at the irresponsibility of these people. Every step I take, every run is a sort of revenge, I suppose: because now I can do it, and I did it by myself--so it wasn't me that was at fault, it was their lousy attitudes and ridiculous 'teaching' methods. Had my school been more enlightened, I could have been running years ago, because it was really something I always wanted to do, even when I was a little girl.

Of course--one of the days I might just run into one of the teachers who made my life hell--and then they'd better look out.
  • Options
    Mim, Im delighted
    Well done
    Was crap myself at school, until there was exercise to music in the early 80s
    Aerobics queen from then on
    Running, well a couple of race for life , and then realised a lifetime ambition with a (very slow0 marathon this year, so HAD to run outside and not on tready
    Knew id got the bug when i crossed the finish line in 6 hours , and thought, well ill do it proprely next time
    If the teachers could see me now
  • Options
    Good on you, Benz! I have yet to do it at all (London rejection, boo hiss)but am slowly plucking up courage to race. Years of coming in last and being kicked round the changing rooms have taken it's toll--and I know I'll never ever get the hang of team sports.

I missed a run this morning--I have tonsilitus (if that's how you spell it, ahem) and got into a right strop because I was too ill to do my six miles. The first time in my ife I've ever complained about being ill because I had to miss PE!!! How times change. And how sad it is that our teachers leave us all with such a legacy of resentment.

Anyway, I'm off to watch the new Bond movie now!
  • Options
    I think you live in Wales, yes???
    Do Kruf 10k, in cardiff
    thrill of millenium stadium finish is fab
    its a flat course and a brilliant atmosphere, and you would NOT be last
  • Options
    I've run almost all my life - started at 11 running a mile around the block with my Dad, joined a track club at 12, started orienteering at 16, ran first 10km at 25, first marathon at 30, first triathlon at 42, first Ironman at 50.
  • Options
    Mim and Benz, Great stuff! I'm afraid that after I grew out of being a kind of shrimp I took up rugby to work off my natural agression. I had asthma from time to time (last bad attack in my mid twenties) but started running as an adjunct to rugby training. Had to pack up rugby due to knee problems around 1968 but carried on running ever since. Its a great way to find your way around places when you're away from home provided you don't get lost. I'm still waiting to get bored with it.