Options

Totton 10K

ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
I'm thinking of doing this as pre-FLM race preparation as well as being a fast 10k in its own right.

Not done it before so any warnings/advice/recommendations welcomed.

Thanks, Mark.

Comments

• Options
    Hello Chaos

My parents live in the area, so I can give you a profile of the area, it should be a really fast race ...... very flat!

Thinking of entering myself, post injury, as something of a tester
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Thanks DDP, do you know if it gets filled up in advance or whether I'd be able to enter on the day?
  • Options
    Did it last year and if I remember rightly there is a slight hill going up about 3 to 4 k, good ruin though from 4 k onwards, got almost whistled at by some kids till I ran past and they saw Pompey on my shirt, then they boooohd me!!!
  • Options
    Not particularly scenic - route goes through a housing estate and a retail park, but as DDP says, it's pretty flat. Doing it for the first time myself, as I've joined Totton Running club, and that gives you free entry - fits in with my pre FLM training too. Will ask tonight whether it is filling up, ow whether you're likely to be able to enter on the day.
  • Options
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me the route please? I've entered to do this and wouldn't mind a trial run but I can't find details of the route.

Cheers,

Mary.
  • Options
    I've entered to do this one....first 10k of 2005!!!!
  • Options
    I've done it a few times before, but not this year as I'm doing a different race on the same day. It is a fast course.
  • Options
    I've looked on their website, and there isn't a map there. Will see what I can get when I go to training this evening.
  • Options
    I've done this race four times since 1997 & have entered again this year. It is one of the fastest flat courses around.
    I've had a new PB every time I've done this one.......that statement's probably put an end to that now though!

TTT.
  • Options
    If anyone wants a number I've a spare one! Double booked myself - ! Doing Bournemouth half marathon in the morning of the 3rd so don't particularly want to drag myself over to Totton in the afternoon!!!! Don't suppose you can get your money back - anyone know? Oh well - should be more careful in future!
  • Options
    Slow Mover, if your number is still available I do need one and will obviously refund your money. I am training for the Edinburgh Marathon in June and this is a good warmup race for me and not too far for me to travel.
    Look forward to hearing from you

Mandy
  • Options
    Ok - no problem - my number is still available and you are welcome to it. I will call or e mail the organisers tomorrow and ask what the procedure is for transferring a number and e mail you back tomorrow. If I send everything off to you by Wednesday you should get it in plenty of time.

• Options
    That is fab. I will check the forum tom night and then we can sort everything out. many thanks again
    Mandy
  • Options
    Amanda - give me a call tonight if you can on 01202 486529 and I will let you know what we have to do. Will need your details etc. Should be home by 9pm - training tonight! - Sue
    Will put number in post tomorrow to you anyway.
  • Options
    I'm camping at Calshot that weekend so I have decided to try this. I hope there will be entries left on the day - running at 2.30 I wonder how early I should be there?. Its a pity its round an industrial estate - if I was down there (I'm from the Midlands)next week I could do the lifeboat 10k at Lymington.
  • Options
    Amanda - Number etc was put in post today so with a bit of luck you should get it Friday at the latest. Good luck - and let me know how you get on.
  • Options
    Mike - there should be entries on the day. As you say, not a particularly scenic route (not ALL round an industrial estate, but no countryside either), but it is flat if you want to try for a fast time.
    You can't park at the start, so would be best to allow 30 minutes to find parking & walk there, I should think. Its advised to park at the Civic Centre, but alternative might be ASDA, which is not much further, and had a bid carpark.
  • Options
    I'll do that thanks - I'll be in a caravanette with the family so that should be fun!!
  • Options
    Sue,

Thanks I will let you know when I get it. Good luck in Bournemouth too !!
  • Options
    Hi this is my first time running a 10k, just wondered if anyone had any advice
  • Options
    Have you run that far in training?
    Be careful not to start too fast. If you have an idea of the pace you are aiming for, calculate how many minutes a kilometre should take, and check on your watch - slow down if you are starting too fast.
  • Options
    Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭
    Penny said << Hi this is my first time running a 10k, just wondered if anyone had any advice.>>

Penny, I'm sure lots of people will give you good advice but FWIW,

• Don’t be intimidated by all the people around you – they may look like Pro runners but I bet you pass a few!
    • On the run itself, keep an eye out for cones in the road – and avoid other people falling over.
    • Bring a 500 ml bottle of whatever you know works for you – and make sure you’ve drunk it half an hour before you run.
    • Aim to be at the start early – if it says 2:25 (?) then ideally you want to have had your last visit to the loo and be limbering up in the right kit for about 2pm.
    • Have fun – it’s a good course and I hope the weather will be not too bad.
    • Don’t laugh and point too much as you pass a fat bald old bloke with a red face……

Best of luck,

Roger

• Options
    Ran a PB here last year although I doubt I'll get close to that time this time round.

Nice flat course, good support and a big field. The industrial estate around 7-8K is a bit desolate but apart from that it's an excellent 10K!

Good luck!

• Options
    Penny, this is my second run after doing the Eastleigh BQ recently. Don't take any notice of anyone else around you and just take it at the pace you are comfy with.

If you see a short, fat, bespectacled female shouting 'No I can't do it' at a tall skinny one then that'll be me (unless I'm alone by then and bringing up the rear behind Roger)
  • Options
    Thanks for all your advice, I am really looking forward to it. I have been running 4 miles every other day in training so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock!!
  • Options
    Does anyone know where the race results are for this one as I can not find them anywhere?

Kanga
  • Options
    Kanga - results may be here http://www.hants.gov.uk/totton/ after a few days. I heard a tannoy announcement to this effect AFTER I'd paid my 50p to get them posted to me!

Penny - how did you do? This was also my first 10K - previous longest training run was 8k so it was a long slog.

Matt.
  • Options
    Can't find them either - will let you know if I do.

Penny, and others - hope it went ok? I did find it rather warm I must say!
  • Options
    Roger 333Roger 333 ✭✭✭
    Just spoke to a club member.

Results not up yet but he will email me a link which I will paste up here when I get it.

For those who couldn't make it there were 800 entrants, weather spot on , sunny some breeze and as D-D says even a tad warm.

Slight problem at the finish with water supply but otherwise a slick event.

Someone fell over in the industrial estate and I saw a couple of people who'd stopped and were walking back because of problems but other than that, as far as I know, injury free.

Fastest time was around 30: 25 - needless to say that wasn't me :-)

Penny, hope you had a good one !

Good luck to everyone with an entry for this year's FLM who was at Totton.

Roger
  • Options
    Slow Mover, Hope the Bournemouth day out went well!!! Totton was good and certainly worth you doing if you get the chance in the future. My time was 55.04 so I was pleased with that given the fact that the training at the mo is high mileage. The cheque is in the post (they all say that!!) and there were no problems with the number switch and the people there were very helpful. Thanks again Mandy