Options

Dangerous dogs

I often run along a secluded trail and have ocassionally come across dangerous dogs. Fortunately, to date the owner has been there to sort things.

A number of issues ago (of Runners World) I read of something you can take with you on your run that is a deterent to dogs. I think it was something from the US, it may have been a spray or whistle.

Can anyone help or has anyone got any other solutions.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure there'll be some sensible solutions soon but last time i was faced with a dangerous dog I just shouted "Oi!! Redhead!! Naow!!!. Did the trick.
  • Options
    Hi Gerrard, in what way are the dogs dangerous?

Remaining calm helps in these situations, stop running and walking past when you meet them.

Good luck and safe running.
  • Options
    take an overwieght cat with you. meet dog, dump cat, cat gets exercise, you get safe. don't meet dog, cat gets trip out, you get big and strong carrying it.

sorry not sensible.

ummm rape alarm might scare it off? but then again it might provoke it. i dunno sorry.
  • Options
    Most dogs are really, really dumb. Example. On Saturday I was running in a very rural and deserted area, up a steep hill towards a farmhouse. Two dogs see me approaching and run down the hill towards me like dogs possessed. One is a dumb labrador, but the other looks mean. So I turn round and run back down the hill so that I'm out of sight. But they're gaining on me... gaining on me, barking crazily.... suddenly... they run straight past me and carry on down the hill towards the main road. So I turn back round and run past the farmhouse and away before they've remembered what they were chasing.

I've put off running past this farmhouse for six months because I knew it contained loose dogs. Pah! Won't be scared again!
  • Options
    Lug a meat cleaver round with you batey! Works for me. My lass is Korean so we have a good fry up after every run. Grrreat! Yeah I have a problem with dogs an' all. I have had pairs of trousers ripped, legs bitten and half the time the owners just cannot keep control of the animals. The ones that really annoy me are rottweilers off their leads, not muzzled and out of ear shot. I tell you, sub five minute miling is suddenly no longer a problem. It is terrifying, seeing this huge dog hurtling towards you from the other side of the field. I only run on concrete pavements now so as to avoid any contact with dogs. So I get to mess my knees up and miss out on running through trees and fields just because of a few idiotic dog owners. GRRR! Wow I can go on a bit huh!
  • Options
    Had a big stupid mutt mess up my run this morning, slobbering, jumping up at me, snarling, barking, running round and round me then it followed me while I was walking I had to stop running as it was going berzerk, the owner was about 50 yards away shouting its name, did it listen, did it hell, I was on for a PB as well, I was really flying but that went out of the window, felt like going back and kicking the owner (not the dog), think about taking pepper with me next time I go on that run.

Well thats got that off my chest.

Ta ta, Gaz........
  • Options
    Hi Gerrard,

I think it may have been an ultra sonic device that emits a noise many dogs dislike, and so scares many of them away. Try here for an example. There are others around - I just searched in Google.

My sympathies on your encounters. I've had similar experiences, and now I only need to see an Alsation, Doberman or Rottweiller in the distance to feel so scared that I have to turn round and go back the way I came. Other dogs I can approach, slowly...
  • Options
    I just run straight at them - even if it means turning around and chasing them - I shout really loud at them and they run a mile...worked with 2 farm dogs the other day that had me scared stiff. I must look a sight if I can scare even them away...
  • Options
    Tell the b*ggers off in your strictest voice. Most hard dogs have hard(headed) owners, so are used to having orders barked at them (no pun). Anyway its the little yappers you need to watch out for.

My dog runs with me so is used to (slow) running feet, and yet disgraced me last month by chasing a bloke and nipping at his heels: mortified! I now put her on the lead when runners approach, but some of you lot move fast and quiet!