Options

See your name in print!

Are you totally passionate about running? And would you like to share your enthusiasm with beginner runners the world over? If so, two London-based journalists who're writing a beginner's running book would like to hear from you. Our book is provisionally called The Cunning Running Plan and will be published in January 2004 by Robson Books, a division of Chrysalis (who also publish Joan Collins!) It's designed to help absolute beginners fall in love with running. We want to include boxes with the comments of real runners throughout the book so, if you think you have an anecdote that will bring a tear to the eye or will help aspiring runners stick at it when the going
gets tough, we'd like to hear it. We're looking for anything from a 20-word sentence to a 300-word paragraph (but not much more!) on the following topics:

Why I love running
How I find the time to train
What it's like to be a front-runner
My really funny run - your chance to share something funny that happened to
you during a run or race
How I stay motivated
My most memorable run
The most interesting runner I've ever met

Please also include the following personal information:
Name
Date of birth
Occupation
Personal best time for 10km/half-marathon/marathon
Weight before/size after (if relevant)
Weight after/size after (if relevant)
Town and country you live in

If your piece is chosen for inclusion in the book, we will contact you to
thank you and tell you when the book is coming out and what it'll will be
called.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards and keep on running
Lisa and Susie

Lisa Jackson
Deputy Chief Sub-editor
Zest magazine
The National Magazine Company
72 Broadwick St
London W1V 2BP
Tel: 020 7312 3074
Fax: 020 7312 3750
e-mail: lisa.jackson@natmags.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    Have you any idea what you're letting yourself in for? Hope your e-mail account has a biiiiig storage capacity, cos everyone on this site has plenty of tales to tell! Sounds like an interesting idea for a book.
  • Options
    Humph looks like an excuse for more junk mail coming through the door if you ask me !
    Surely arm chair atheletes have enough books to put on the coffee table ? But live and let live I say....
  • Options
    Sounds like a company and two journalists making money from other people's writings to me.
  • Options
    Not even a complementary copy of the book? Last time I did something like this I got one.
  • Options
    Does rather sound as if we do the work and they get the money, doesn't it? Or am i being a cynic?
    By the way - if you're passing through WH SMiths or other big bookshop, Passionate about Poetry and the Times book of Brief letters are now on the shelves - and both have brief bits by me!!!!
    (WOW - fame at last)
  • Options
    Yaaaaaaaaaaay DS is famous wooooooooooooooo !! Only time my name has been in print is on a court order ;)
  • Options
    Well done DS, quite satisfying ot get your name in print isn't it.
  • Options
    Hi again. I promise we're not going to get rich from writing this book, we really are doing it because we love running so much and want others to try it too (and because we'd quite like to see our names in print!). And we will be writing most of it ourselves (promise!) - the stories we're looking for will be used in boxes and won't form the main text of the book. As for the free copies, we're only going to get four free ones ourselves, so I'm afraid we can't even offer that! However, if you'd like to be able to show your friends your name and share your experiences with other runners, this book's for you. I look forward to hearing your running tales. Kind regards, Lisa