Options

A Project

I was wondering about what people ate so i decided to do a poll on what people ate on a work day and a rest day.
So i am appealing to all you runners out there to help me.
if you can do it, write down all the food you have eaten on both days, your weight, height and exersice and email it to me at:
rohan.fox@virgin.net

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bit of a tough one this. Do you want all the ingredients of my muesli in the morning or can you look it up off the packet if I just give you the brand name.

Morning muesli with milk
    Fruit in the day
    lots of coffee
    rice veg curry powder plus some sort of meat, occasionally fish and sometimes potato or pasta on the evening
    wash down with wine beer or gin
    nuts
  • Options
    Sorry forgot the second part
    5 ft 11
    11:12
    30 miles a week.
  • Options
    gosh rohan, your asking for imformation not even my nearest and dearest are party to!!! Whats the project??????
  • Options
    Everone sounds like me :$.
    its a school project (even though im a home ed student) it would be cool if you could do it for frday and saturday and email it to me that way no one on this forum will find out how much you weigh :-).
    Im doing it aswell so i'll post mine 2 morrow....remember Friday nad saturday it needs to b done.
    Ta
  • Options
    EP, I've just logged on and Rohan's just logged off, but he says:

I'm interested in what people eat generally. I'm a vegetarian and i know alot of carnivores, but i can't tell you they eat. I've been looking at diet and nutrition and i was wondering if sports people have a better diet than..well..couch potatoes. My diet is appauling (mainly pizza, toast, and Heinz ketchup) but i run and play hockey so i burn off a few of the calories i put on (*looks at huge mound of fat where stomach is*). However years of being a game junkie have left me with...umm..a wide load...:-$
    Compared to my diet EP i bet yours is good.
    END OF ROHAN

There we go! I've sent him to bed now [Rohan says :-(] He's not actually as gross as he makes out, tho his diet could do with some work.

Having said that, so could mine!
  • Options
    Mim indeed = Rohan's mum . . . teacher . . . bank manager . . . free transport . . .

Thanks, EP, he'll like that. I'll ask him about excel in the morning (he's gone quiet, which suggests that he's probably reading the Lord of the Rings!!!)

I've been roped into this too, which means I'll have to be v. virtuous for the next few days.
  • Options
    My diet doesn't really vary from training day to rest day. Usually consists of the following:

Breakfast: Toast or cereal with cup of coffee
    Lunch: Sandwich, fruit, yogurt, crips
    Dinner: Pasta or rice with chicken or tuna with veg or salad
    All washed down with lots and lots of water

I do eat some red meat but try to keep it down to a minimum.

I'm 29, run around 30 miles a week over 6 days. Also do gym work 3-4 days per week.
    I'm 161 cm tall and weigh 47kg
  • Options
    It starts today, and unfortunatly i have to write it al down as well. EP the exel records could be useful yeah if you can send them it would be great. I found out what i weigh earlier and was gobsmacked (nearly 10 stone).
    My results from the first day will be posted soon.
  • Options
    Howdy Rohan...How's the running going? No more 5 minute miles I hope.
    Still a handfull Min? I bet.
    I will try and do what you ask Rohan..however is friday and saturday a good reflection as you are likely to get a lot of alcohol and takeaways included because of the time of week....
  • Options
    Rohan says:
    Thats when your diet's at its worst, and we are doing this with runners and non runners and we wondered if runners were any better. These forums are busy around this time.
    END

Mim says:
    Wish Rohan had his own phone line!

Yes, BBB--still a handful. Don't know where he gets it from . . .

EP--I don't know how people lose weight. I could probably do with losing some--at 5'7'' I'm 10.4. But I weigh 10.4 regardless of whether I drink beer and eat pizza 24/7, or am a good vegan and run 30 miles a week. I know how the energy in/energy out equation works, I've got all the theories (they're on the biology curriculum!) but NOBODY EXPLAINED THEM TO MY BODY. Which seems to think that weighing 10.4 is perfectly ok.

Upside, of course is that I can scoff crisps, chocs and chips without fear of blobbery: downside is anything really high fat for any period gives me chronic eczema . . . How unfair is that?

Perhaps we should have a food diary thread--if we all had to post our scoff every day for a month, the sheer shame of admitting to having eaten three energy bars on a non-running day yesterday(cough cough, not that I did, of course) would probably cause a wave of virtuousness that would put supermarkets out of business.

And I'd probably still weigh 10.4.
  • Options
    I think the idea of a food diary thread would cause anorexia.
    Thanks to everyone who is taking part in this 'experiment' it should be interesting to see. Mim did eat 3 energy bars yesterday (breakfast, lunch and..tut-tut..midnight snack)!
  • Options
    Weekday:

Breakfast: Cereal
    Lunch: 2 ham rolls (dry bread), apple, banana, and 2 satsumas
    Tea: Pasta/jacket potato/ plenty of veg, fish, a couple of beers

Weedend:

Breakfast: bacon butties
    Lunch: Sandwich
    Tea: Curry and plenty of beers (as long as there is not a race the next day otherwise as weekday)

Height: 6’2”
    Weight: 16st
    Exercise: run: 25 to 30 miles per week plus one gym session.

• Options
    Rohan,

I don't know if this fits in with your project but I have a theory that what you weigh depends a lot on your natural makeup and hormones. I had treatment for prostate cancer last year and for three months they gave me an injection of something which blocks off testosterone (the hormone which helps you build muscles and be agressive). I think the injections were some sort of female hormone or something which mimicked it. During those 5 months my running slowed down drastically, I put on about 14 pounds and I got hot sweats at unpredictable moments. I carried on with my normal diet and training schedule so apart from running slower than usual there was no real reason for my weight to go up if it is only affected by what you eat and the amount of excercise you take.

Incidentally I eat the same on rest days as training days, but I don't have a lot of rest days. The Muesli I eat is Sainsbury's de Luxe (no added salt or sugar) if you need to check on all the ingredients.

Good luck
  • Options
    How embarrassing!!!! Thought I'd just sent an email to Rohan but accidently sent it to a client!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never mind at least they know why I'm always tired at meetings now!!!

Here goes:

Female
    9.5 stone
    5foot 3 inches
    30-50 mile a week runner

Regardless of type of training daily diet as follows:

Breakfast
    Cup of coffee (skimmed milk)
    Bowl of Shreddies (skimmed milk)

Lunch
    2 x bagel with ham and mustard
    Low fat cup a soup

Snack pm
    Nutrigrain bar or similar
    bottle of pepsi max

Dinner
    Pasta with chicken or tuna or nothing
    Low fat sauce
    Low fat garlic bread or pitta bread

2-3 glasses of wine

Hope that helps

Wolfy
  • Options
    Hi Rohan (I'm not stalking you BTW Wolfy). I'm afraid me and my old dutch were out a-clubbing in Leeds City last night so I suspect my diet today of endless bacon sandwiches and lashings of Lucozade is likely to skew your data. It'll be a takeaway pizza tonight incidentally. I cant be a**ed cooking. If I remember I'll keep the empty Stella bottles and count them for you tomorrow.

BTW. Didnt take you long to find the ginger princess did it you young devil you!! ;-)

PS you're not interested in anything that comes back up are you????

Thought not.
  • Options
    Hi Rohan, I've have a terrible diet so will skew your results, I'm also lucky that no matter what training I do or what I eat I tend to stay the same weight (sorry to everyone else who isnt so lucky :-)

Weekdays
    Breakfast nothing
    am snack Mars Bar and packet of crisps
    Lunch cornish pasty
    evening meal meat pie, chips/jacket potato, peas/beans
    drinks through the day 8 cups of coffee, 1 can coke, glass of water (if busy at work possibly more coffee!).

Weekends
    My coffee consumption goes down, and I probably won't have a Mars Bar or Crisps but will have biscuits.

If it's really hot I'll drink extra water, but that's the only real change.

This is for a training or non-training day, if I'm busy at work I don't do any training (like for the last month!).

I'm 5'8", usually weigh between 10st 10lb and 11st.

My training is
    day1 1k fast x 4 reps finish with a hill
    day2 rest (catch up training day if busy)
    day3 3.5 miles fast flat course finish with a hill
    day4 10 hills last few flat out
    day5 6 miles flat - aim for a quick time
    day6 rest (shopping)
    day7 rest - walking on the beach/dartmoor, gentle jog 1-2 miles.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    As i was running a marathon last sunday i kept pretty detailed lists of what I ate and drank for last friday and saturday as part of a pet project of mine to see why i am doing so badlt one week and improve the next. If you want it let me know. PS pulled out of the marathom at 17 miles due to cramp or some such pain so didnt work at all
  • Options
    Chimp--he's extremely interested in things that come back up, because he's a gruesome little b*gger. And v. interested in beer. And redheads, actually (aren't we all).

Folks--Rohan says many thanks for your help, and he'll post later. We're off out to supper to celebrate the end of term (!).
  • Options
    *looks at chimp* i expect results from you fatso :P. right heres what i ate 2day.

2 pieces of toast
    mug of apple juice
    peanut butter and jam sandwitch
    cranberry juice
    lucozade
    *100 cal run
    *mile and a bit row
    *swim
    chip butty
    garlic bread
    danish pastry

thats it. God im sooo fat!
  • Options
    Oh and any records that anyone can give me of food will be welcome, thanks.
  • Options
    Manners, Rohan!!! I think that was an insult, Chimp! My apologies.

My contribution so far:
    1 geobar (note: only one).
    banana
    apple
    500ml Lucozade
    Large hummous salad with a bit of garlic bread (would've been more, but Rohan pinched it)
    2x black coffee
    2x hot choc
    water
    cranberry juice
    and a large dose of antibiotics, yuk yuk yuk.
    Offset by 5k run
    swim.
  • Options
    Food consumption last friday and saturday.

Friday breakfast
    cup of coffee

mid morning
    energy bar
    litre pineapple juice

lunch
    BLT sandwich
    Yorkie bar
    LItre orange juice

mid afternoon
    Peanut butter sandwiches (4 slices of bread)

Evening meal
    Pasta (lots)
    chicken and sauce
    half a french stick
    yet more fruit juice

bedtime snack
    lucozade sport
    energy bar (high 5)

Saturday
    Breakfast
    Large bowl of porridge with honey
    2 slices brown toast with marmalade

mid morning
    lucozade sport
    energy bar

lunch
    french stick tuna salad low fat mayo
    litre orange juice
    two hot cross buns

mid afternoon
    two more hot cross buns
    energy bar
    lucozade sport

evening meal
    rice chicken jacket potatoe
    litre fruit juice

bedtime snack
    energy bar

Over the course of each day i also made sure i drank 4 litres of water

This is much more healthy than my normal diet. you can substitute large amounts of tea and coffee for the juice on most days plus the odd pint or six at the weekend. i only did this coz of my marathon on the sunday. it was a miserable failure as i had to drop out at 17 miles injured
  • Options
    Sorry forgot

age 47
    weight 72kilos
    height 5ft 10
    Exercise 40 miles running plus very physical job all week
  • Options
    You put me to shame, Jim!
    Me so far today:
    1 energy bar
    1 slice of toast
    1 Mince pie
    1 potato skin, 1 slice of garlic bread, 2 slices of pizza
    500 ml cider
    1x tea, 1x hot choc, 1 ltr water
    and needless to say all this wheaty cheesy high fat stuff has given me eczema!!!

No running: felt too grotty, but antibiotics meraly finished now so should be ok soon.