Options

Friday session

Last nights session was on my measured 3.5 km (just under 2and a quarter miles) forecast trail, including one lap slow warm up, two laps fast (HR avg 174 - 90% of max on both laps) in 14:10 each and one lap cool down. Felt really good when running fast - but knee hurts a lot today.

Today: Rest of cross train
Why: Knee too sore to run
Days since rest: 7
Days since hard: yesterday

Comments

• Options
    Yesterdays 3 steady became half steady half pushed. On an out and back ran 10 min pace out and 7:50 pace back. the dog got very confused as he didn't have to pull me up the inclines on the way back!

What 3m steady
    why into last five weeks of milage building before switching to a race build up schedule (i.e. increasing volume without intensity)
    last hard Sunday
    last rest Wednesday

No idea when I'm going to squeeze it in today - but then all work and no play makes Sirius (the dog) a sad boy.
  • Options
    A wonderful sunny day :o)

What: AM) 70mins MTB - PM) 80mins MTB
    Why: Commuted to work on my mountain bike to get in a couple of much need cycling sessions

Last Hard Day: Thursday (hill set)
    Last Rest Day: Saturday

PS Martin – what time of the day is 6:47 to be on-line – do you not sleep? And Mij jour not much better
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    What: 4-6 miles on treadmill
    Why: bottled the club run last night(d'oh!) cos tired and fed up with running. Feel a bit more positive today although still tired.
    Last hard day: tuesday
    Last rest day: yesterday
  • Options
    What : 6 mile run

Why : Haven't run since Sunday, feeling a bit apprehensive and unmotivated about running (fatal combination) so I told myself to get out there! Beautiful run, early morning mists kept me cool but the promise of the glorious day ahead broke through during the last mile or so. Kind of remember why I like running so much...
    Last day when I did any exercise whatsoever: Sunday
    Last rest day : Yesterday
  • Options
    WW

I'm on line early because:

a) I live in Germany, so I'm an hour earlier.
    b) I start work early anyway (so I can finish early to train!)
    c) I'm a bit of a sad git who reads the RW forums first thing!

Why does the afternoon MTB session take longer than the morning session - making allowance for a liquid lunch?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning,
    what: 20 mile bike ride
    why: it's a alternative training day.
    last hard day: Wed
    last rest day: Mon
  • Options
    Martin

The reason the return journey takes longer is that I work hard ;o)

No, I live in a hilly area and there are more hills going home than they are coming in – when I cad do both ways in the same time I’ll consider myself cycle fit

Have you considered acupuncture to help the knee? – it helps me with my neck.

Will
  • Options
    What: rest
    Why: always rest Friday!
    Days since last hard run: Wednesday
    Days since last rest: Today

Day off before the obligatory running and biking on the weekend.

RoadRunner, I'm in Notts also, and also run with a club, just wondering if we're both running with the same club (I'm with Notts AC)?

best
    mm
  • Options
    what: 9.3K hard
    why: continuing to build for autumn 10Ks
    last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Wed
  • Options
    Hi all. I'm quicker than you in one respect, Will - I realised yesterday why Martin is usually first!

What: Already had a brisk three-mile walk this morning. Tried to run but only managed short stretches. I hope this inability to run in the morning is psychological but suspect is's not. I can barely get my hands down to my knees first thing in the morning, whereas by afternoon I can stand on my fingers without bending my legs.
    I would really, really like a swim later so I shall be butting out of the forum this morning and trying to shift the worried well and snivelling sick along the conveyor belt quickly. Only kidding - I love 'em all really.
    Hoping to rouse prospective running partner and get her out for a toddle in the evening.

Why: Not quite ready for another hard day but want to do something. Call it fat-burning.

Last hard day: Wednesday.

Last easy day: Tuesday.

Cheers, V-rap.

• Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hi there

Sorry to butt in, but how does this work then? I'm assuming that there are certain days that everybody posts what they are doing? Do I have to be a good runner to contribute or is any puffing and panting welcome?

Fiona
  • Options
    If you put on a pair of trainers and run then you qualify. Whatever you're doing, training or resting, and why, then post it.
  • Options
    V-Rap - why do you want to stand on your fingers? and does straight knees make it more or less enjoyable? :-)
  • Options
    Morning :)

What:
    AM - Swim 2100m
    PM - Steady 10 miles
    Why: My midweek long run that I postponed in favour of a rest day, so I suppose I should really go and do it now.
    Days since last hard - Wednesday
    Days since last rest - Yesterday

Looking forward to getting out on the bike this weekend as the weather looks great, plus I haven't ridden it for a month and a half :(

Gareth
  • Options
    Fiomac

Feel free to join in. The theory is that once you've committed to paper (electronically of course), then you are more likely to do the session.

Its also nice to see what other people are doing to get ideas about how to train or how not to!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Theory doesn't always convert to practice! Yesterday had planned 7K steady (building up to 10K) - ran 5K and felt like a lead weight, and my 1K lap times were down on what they usually are. Quit after 5K - body just felt too tired. I've got a lot on with a particularly trying flat purchase so that's probably drained my energy somewhat too.

What: Nothing - Friday rest day.
    Why: Friday is always a rest day - and see above.
    Last hard: Tuesday (speed session).
    Last rest: Wednesday.

I wondered recently why I never seemed to be able to get my 1K times much under 5 minutes. It's because the 1K laps I thought I was running are in fact longer than 1K - not much, but it makes a difference (and makes me feel better!)
  • Options
    I don't stand on my fingers for pleasure or as part of training, Mij, and wouldn't particularly recommend it - it's just a cheap and cheerful way of assessing how flexible my back is at that particular time and getting an objective measure of how inflexible I am first thing in the morning. Bending my knees would be cheating.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: 7 miles steady
    Why: Had a rest day on Wednesday, because I was really tired. Last night I finally got the grass cut, and I've decided to include it as a cross training session (takes 2 hours and involves a fair bit of climbing and lifting). Need to get a decent run in to restore sanity.

Saturday (weather permitting) will be 20-30 miles on the road bike, or 15-20 mountain bike.

Sunday I'm planning my longest training run to date - 17 miles with the last 8 on the canal bank, so it will be kinder on my legs. Mr Nessie is golfing, so I can run from home to the course, which is next to the canal bank, do the 4 miles each way to the locks and back, then he can drive the sweaty wreck home.

Last rest: Wednesday (if I'm allowed the Xtraining,
    Last hard: Tuesday (20m bike)
  • Options
    What - 6 x 400 at 5k pace
    Why - Cos I need to buiold speed
    Last hard day - Tuesday
    Last rest day - Thursday

If this sounds familiar, you're right. I was suposed to do it last night but felt too tired. I even got as far as the treadmill in the gym and thought 'I can't face this', got off and went home. Legs feel better today. A few miles tomorrow and then a long run (10-12 miles) on Sunday.
  • Options
    What: gym session. Hard cardio session with cross trainer, stepper, bike & rower planned also weights & ab training.

Why: No running for me today. Right knee is still sore from where the dog bounced into it last night and twisted it. I'm RICE'ing and shovelling in anti-inflammatories. The rest should hopefully improve it and I'll see whether I can get out for a run on Sunday after my yoga class.

Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: Sunday
  • Options
    Cath, if a hard session on the cardio machines is a rest then I'm a sofa spud.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    Nessie

I'm impressed that it takes you so long to mow the lawn! Either that must be some garden or you need to take some lawn cutting lessons!

Personally I want a referees ruling on whether you can call it cross training.
  • Options
    For all those of you who read 220 magazine.

I have just got my copy today of Issue 146 and managed to find a picture of myself :) It is on the longest day triathon race report, if you look at the picture of the swimmers on the first page, then I am the one hanging onto the jetty with the white cap on, facing the jetty. I wont tell you what I think I was doing ;)

Fame at last

Gareth
  • Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Hi Cath - I wondered where you'd gone, haven't seen you on the "Getting Started" thread for a while!

So here goes, for what it's worth:

What: gym session: treadmill first - will attempt either run 2m at 8k then 3m at 10k for as long as can manage, or run 4 walk 2 steady for 20 minutes. Haven't decided which yet. Then upper body workout.

Why: Think I really have to go back to the beginner's schedules and follow properly this time. Also badly need to improve upper body strength for press-ups at taekwon-do.

Last hard day: If we're talking running, then last Saturday when attempted to run 10k for first time. Badly. If anything counts, then Wednesday night's taekwon-do class where didn't stop sparring for an hour!

Last rest day: Yesterday. Had planned an easy run but just couldn't get up the motivation. Eastenders was good.

Fiona
  • Options
    Ironman

Can I have your autograph then - njow your famous ;o)

Will
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Martin/Tim

70 feet x 30 feet of it is only a little short of vertical, and I have considered wearing golf shoes to prevent the near accidents I have had when the grass is damp (running with no toes may be a little difficult!). The rest is pretty flat. 1.5 hours with the flymo, 15 mins with the strimmer, 15 mins raking up.

Please Mr Referee Sir, Please..........
  • Options
    ...........I am prepared to allow it provided that you note it no longer qualifies if you get a ride on (ooerr!).....mower that is. Oh, and have you thought of crampons for the steep bits?

I have some really heavy Le Crueset pans - I therefore now also claim cooking as cross training.