Options

Breathing

I have read in RW about breathing techniques and have tried some but I have come to use breathing as a guauge or limiter to the effort I am putting in. I stand to be corrected if it is not good technique. Being a fairly new serious'ish runner there can be a tendency to run too fast. If I want to go for a really easy jog I make sure that I can breath comfortably in then out every 8 strides 4/4 (in) left,right,left,right (out)left,right,left,right. As my effort increases to a normal mid tempo outing I reduce the length of in/out to 4/2. I don't find 3/3 particularly good. (I never was much of a waltzer)Then when I am running at 80%+ my in/out quickens to 2/2. I am sorry if you are bored by now but after the articles I am interested in how others breath. Also, does long slow breathing increase lung capacity/fitness?

Comments

• Options
    When I strted off the treadmill and on the wonky pavement I found this was the biggest barrier to keeping going. I was advised by a wise old Ironman to sort out my own pattern to suit my own speed etc.

I also breathe 4/4 having developed this to exhale on 2nd left footstrike as I've found it does help to avoid/cure stitch. (I also count my breaths as I run until I lose count, then start again, but I think I may just be strange obsessive/compulsive sort!)
  • Options
    Always done two in two out.

I think this is a personal thing where advice can be counter-productive if taken too literally: do whatever you are comfortable with.
  • Options
    Helen T,
    You are not on your own, I also count my breaths to 100 then start again unless I loose count,
    I usually breath every 3 steps but when I remember I try to breath every 4 steps.

Gaz, (strange and confused runner)
  • Options
    I've been practising for 36 yrs I find it comes quit naturally

Seriously though I just aim to keep me breathing relaxed but do not concentrate on it that much – If you hold your posture and a good running style, breathing takes care of itself
  • Options
    Helen and Gaz.
    I have to inform you that you are definitely weird. Hope that's not a problem.

I always breathe in time to my footsteps - I find rhythm in everything is important to keep relaxed. And I believe there are good physiological reasons to do it. I've varied over the years, but I typically run 2/2, except on a long run I'll do 3/3 to keep my speed down.

If I find myself counting to 100 tomorrow, I'll be VERY angry! ;-)
  • Options
    Don't limit yourself to 100! I've got well into the 300s before losing count. It helps me not to focus on the fact that I still find running v hard.
    Don't know about you Gaz, but I'm proud to be weird. Freaks everywhere: count your breaths!!!
  • Options
    Swerve, I went for my run today and as yet, no sign of the breath counting affliction - it did briefly cross my mind but I just turned up the stereo and drowned the thought to death. Helen, before long you will not be timing your runs, but trying to reduce the number of breaths you take to finish.
    Steve (I don't count sheep either)
  • Options
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7, etc, 100, 200, he he,

Went out running this morning and found that while running on the flat and downhill I exhaled every 4th step breathing in the other 3,
    now going uphill I exhaled every 3rd step breathing in the other 2.

I dont concentrate that much on my breathing (just counting and singing to myself, Rock DJ at the mo) I just breath according to the conditions, ie, went out in wind the other day and didnt breath at all till I got home ! ! ! ! ! ? ?

Right on Helen, lets be proud.........

Gaz..........