Options

4 k race

I have been training for the last few months and have entered the Morecambe & Lancaster Festive 4k this is my first race.I have just completed the distance in 22 minutes tonight.Do you think this will be a good enough time to do the race or am i going to be last i don t want to confidence knocked and then not want to do a race again

Comments

• Options
    I was last in my first 10k and everyone else had gone inside to scoff cakes and swig tea! Didn't help that it was weeing down and I was a v long time behind though! It did knock my confidence to be soooo last, but at least I did it! however, I went straight home and looked on the events for a new race to train for.
    Also, I was constantly lapped by ace runners, many of whom shouted encouragement to me as they streaked past and I ate their dirt/mud. If your ego was that fragile you would never have gone out in public to run anyway, so just get stuck in there!
  • Options
    Steve,

I did my first 5k race last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Field of 263 and I came 250th, but I did it in a personal best time (well it was my first race!) and lots of people were there to cheer and clap when I finished.

Do as I did and start at the back of the field, that way you can't get overtaken and if you do overtake anyone - it's a bonus! :-)

Hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    Steve, go for it. Ignore the idea of being last. I ran Abergavenny 4k this year with my 10 yr old daughter. She wants to be Paula.
    I had decided to make sure i finished behind her to avoid the dreaded last place, and was getting hassle from the ambulance!
    We started picking the others off one at a time and finished in a respectable position, crossing the line together.
    Re distance, short enough to just go for it as long as you can, the pull of the crwd will cheer you. Don't panic if you get left at the start, just enjoy it.

Good luck mate.
  • Options
    Steve - in English that's 2.5 miles in 22 mins ie faster than 10 min/mile which is a good benchmark, with the buzz of others around you'll probably go a bit faster on the day.

- is there a website with last year's results, if so check where you'd have been in 22 mins
    - if the race is multiple laps try not to get phased by people passing you (I stopped and sat down in my first ever race when that happened to me, fortunately a friend got me going again and I finished up nowhere near last and did a marathon a few months later)
    - try to run at your own speed not at other people's (it's easy to speed off early because others are doing - better to start slow & pick people off later liek Barkles says)
    - enjoy yourself (I guess a race with the word 'Festive' in it's name is going to be fun)