Options

Half Marathon Training

Having got myself out of London Marathon rejection blues, I decided to give the Half Marathon at Silverstone a whirl and would appear to have been sucessful.
I have completed one half marathon before circa 1994 (ish) and enjoyed an erratic running career at best. I have recovered from a nasty football injury about two years ago and have only recently started to put some runs together.
I`m upto about six miles long run at weekends at the moment and am looking to knuckle down post christmas.
I`m wondering if anybody has any training schedules for an eight week plan ? or any suitable advice etc.
Regards
Lee

Comments

• Options
    As RW/adidas as doing such a big thing for this Silverstone 1/2 i expect there will be advice on training in the next issue. You could follow the London Marathon schedules - just cut short the long runs as they will be a bit too long for 1/2M training.
    Main runs are: tempo run (fastish steady speed for 5-8 miles); speedwork (fartlek/intervals type of thing) and the long run.
  • Options
    The RW 10-week training plans on the training page could be easily adapted to an 8 week schedule, seeing as you are already doing some longish runs. See the Training page, half way down is a racing section, and at the bottom of this are all the distances. Under half-marathon is a 10-week schedule, and a 12-week one for subscribers only.

Wish I knew how to do automatic links.
  • Options
    Thank you Skip, I have found the section you were referring to and have chosen a 1:50
    10 week schedule to follow.
    Looks like I`ll have to start a little earlier than anticipated but no bad thing !
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    Lee, I've done the same thing - rejected from FLM have entered the Silverstone and I'm up to about 7 miles on my long runs.

Plan to get up to 10 and then start a bit of speed training (I've been putting that one off but probably have to face the inevitable and I'm so slow - 10.45 minute mile - that I really need to do something).

I'd like to make sure that I've run the distance plus, say, 20% - somewhere in the region of 16 miles by mid-Feb. I don't know if this is achieveable but as this is my first half I don't know if I can even make the distance yet! Good luck.