Options

I'm so cold

Help! Before I freeze, please can someone recommend some decent running tights for the winter. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    I've got some nice Nike ones, a recent purchase. I prefer to run in shorts, but I wore the tights today and they were v. snuggly :-)
  • Options
    Newline (www.newline.dk) do the best thermal tights around (imho)- they last for years as well (unlike some of the more 'fashionable' brands...)

Failing that, a pair of Lowe Alpine/North Face Powerstretch tights will do the job (avaialble from all good walking shops)

LizzyB (who lives 60 miles from the Arctic Circle and is a wussy southerner so has done extensive tests into what keeps legs warm)
  • Options
    I agree with LizzyB - I wear the thermal running tights from Newline. Kept my legs lovely and warm during the Tadley Xmas XC 5.3 miles yesterday!

I believe Newline also do some thermal running tights that are water resistant too (new this winter). I haven't got round to buying any yet...

CC
    Sufferer of Raynauds Syndrome so knows all about wrapping up well in this weather!
  • Options
    Creamcake - I've just ordered some of the Newsline water and wind resistant running tights! Will give a testers report in a couple of weeks time. They look pretty fab. Black and silver, mmmmmm, lovely.
  • Options
    I have Sub4 and Asics thermal lined tights. Both cost about £27 at a London marathon exhibition a few years back - they were on offer as in the previous year's colours.
    They have been washed and worn many times. As soon as the thermometer goes under 45'F, i'm into the woollies.
  • Options
    maybe layers - i wear bog standard lycra tights unde tracksters - but also have some cheap microfleece long johns from Matalan - not very wicky but warm

i find my legs ok but my upper body suffers more so layers and more layers - and socks gloves and hat as extremities lose heat quickly and can add to feeling cold!
  • Options
    Lizzy - I've got some Newline shorts and top and they are brilliant. Might have to go and look for a nice wintery jacket from them. Mmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    I bought some Saucony Thermal Tights last year which are SOOOO snuggly. The added bonus is they have a really wild reflective pattern on them - top to bottom - funky do. Bought them from Alexandra Sports in Portsmouth.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all your helpful advice and suggestions.

Lizzy - anyone who can survive an Icelandic winter is not a wuss! I've felt cold when I've been in Iceland during the summer. Well, perhaps that blizzard at Thingvellir in June a few years back was a bit unusual!

Creamcake - poor you, having Raynauds Syndrome. The thermal, water resistent Newline tights sound like a great idea. Think I may ask Father Christmas for a pair!

Thanks again and happy (warm!) running.

• Options
    Can anyone suggest a good online supplier for the Newline tights? They sound lovely, but I've just searched in Google and I'm having a problem tracking them down, which seems odd! Many thanks for any help.
  • Options
    I was a bit cold out running last night. It wasn't until I got back to the clubhouse that I realised that the arse was hanging out of my trusty old Ron Hills. I don't understand what has happened to them. They're only about 10 years old. Do you think I should send them back and demand a refund?
  • Options
    I've just realised. It must have been Monday nights curry.
  • Options
    Hi WeePiglet

Right, rustle, rustle, search search - found it! Newline clothes are (I think) only available by mail order in the UK. For a catalogue (cor, i sound like an advert) phone 0800 960711/email nl@newlinesport.co.uk/fax 01732 875872

They're a Danish company - website www.newline.dk.

I've also ordered a v. fetching black and orange hooded thermal - should be waiting for me, along with my black and silver tights, at my parents house when I get back to the UK! Oooh, can't wait! I love new running clothes!
  • Options
    Don't Girlsruntoo.co.uk do newline stuff?
  • Options
    Many thanks, Shoeless LizzyB - I'll ring for a catalogue.

Dangly Spice - thanks for the suggestion, but I can't see Newline stuff there. There's lots of other good stuff, though, and it's a new site to me, so thank you v. much.
  • Options
    Product report! Product report!

When I was over in the UK I picked up my new Newline water resistant, windproof black and silver running tights (with thermal bum especially for us laydees).

I'd just like to say that they are totally fab - went running in cold wet fog, -1 degrees (in Kent) and was lovely and toasty and dry. Also wore them in the rain on Boxing Day and stayed dry (but I was a bit warm!)

They are a bit wiered to put on - a bit like putting on a wetsuit - but are really comfortable and light.

And they look fab, which is v. important ....

And no, I don't work for newline ....
  • Options
    Wonder what they'd be like through very wet MT race. I'm looking for something to wear at the GRIM.

Any comments?
  • Options
    What's the terrain/conditions likely to be, Josie?
  • Options
    Dirty great big puddles /ponds, horse jumps and cargo nets in FEBRUARY !!!
  • Options
    Run and Become had a sale on whith lots of running tights when I was up there this week if anyone is nearby.
  • Options
    Josie - Oooh, I love races like that! The Newline tights cost #53, so I think that rules them out for anything that involves horse jumps or a risk of getting torn!

Hate to say it, but bare legs and old lycra shorts are going to be your best bet. Or a pair of very cheap or old running tights (but not RonHills cos they hold water like a sponge).
  • Options
    Bare legs !!!!

I don't even run bare legged in summer !!!

I see you point about expensive tights tho.
  • Options
    I've got a pair of Concurve "New York" tights, with fleece inner. They're the best I've had by a mile. I got'em from Sweatshop. Before that, I had a pair of Nike Extreme, which are OK.
  • Options
    I got some Newline basic winter tights and there are fantastic, ever so warm.