Comments

• Options

I think you know the answer to that
  • Options
    Put 'em on no win no fee.
  • Options
    No but the rugby team did!!!
  • Options
    The rugby team did well. Just think if the England cricketers could beat New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. No, I must be hallucinating. That would never happen. Anyway, well done to the rugby boys for showing the cricketers how it should be done.
  • Options
    How long before our rugby team scores more against the Australians than our cricketers?
  • Options
    Paula was glamorous, graceful and gracious, as ever. And, as ever, she won it by miles.

I think we are lucky as a nation to have her in our midsts. Athletes like Paula are rare, yet people like her are rarer still. To me she is a female Emil Zatopek - a true heroine and a worthy role model.

I know some people have knocked George Best - but he was a worthy winner too. Supremely talented, charming and generous - but with a weakness. He at least has never blamed anyone else for his troubles and while he may have behaved embarrassingly at times, he never behaved badly. He has borne his troubles with humour and humility - as of course has Jane Tomlinson whose courage has now been brought so touchingly to an even wider audience. She is an example to us all.

• Options
    bazza, hear hear on paula, there are a lot of celebs around who could take a leaf from her book of how to behave, didn't she look stunning in that black outfit!!

Also with you on GB, to those of us old enough to remember him in his heyday, he was not only a great player, but drop dead bloody gorgeous too...

pardon me while I go off for a little nostalgic reverie.......
  • Options
    bazza, just read your post again, you have a lovely way with words. Respect.
  • Options
    HS - do you not sleep?
  • Options
    BBB, I do take exception to the comment that female athletes look odd in glam gear!
  • Options
    Monique, I think that unlike most other famous people you get used to seeing them with very little makeup on and in practical rather than 'sexy' clothing...
    It would be a bit like seeing the royal family in bermuda shorts and hankys on their heads.
    Hope you are not the aforementioned famous athlete in black bodice because if you are, on reflection I think you looked really nice, gorgeous infact, damn sexy, wow...
  • Options
    I love you too Paula!!
    Somehow she is 'our girl' and I am so proud of her. She must have such incredible inner strength but yet is also so graceful and gentle. She looked absolutely beautiful, I thought.
  • Options
    So did I, so did I! Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. And that's meant in a complimentary, non-lascivious, non-letching way.
  • Options
    You do realise dont you, you guys, that if the bloke that shouts at Paula when she loses hears you he'll come round and rip your heads off because he's as mad as hell and he aint gonna take it anymore.
  • Options
    he shouts at her????? b*******d!!!!!
    lets go round his and beat him up, - anyone coming??????
  • Options
    wildwill, hallo darling, how are you?????
    --not terribly well is the answer, and particlarly not after a gym session!!!!
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Denise Lewis in the body paint? Even as a female womble I can admire that physique.
  • Options
    oh yes,,, I remember....
  • Options
    Am I the only one around here who doesn’t think Paula Radcliffe is all that attractive? But what the hell, her looks are irrelevant, she’s clearly the best at what she does and is the most worthy winner of the prize for a very long time. I would have been most seriously displeased had that imbecilic tart Beckham won on the strength of one penalty a team mate had to cheat to get in the first place! I cannot believe that over 87000 people saw fit to vote for an overrated moron over a genuinely world class sports-person the like of which a nation that has turned sustained sporting failure into an art form rarely sees.
    Still, it all turned out well in the end – the right girl won!
  • Options
    Er if her looks are irrelevant why mention the fact that she looks like a bag of spanners!!??

"imbecilic tart"? "overrated moron"?

You wanna go on the George Best thread on general. They've spent three days now slogging everyone and his dog off!!!
  • Options
    SLAGGING everyone....etc

(slogging a dog off is something totally different)
  • Options
    Oi, I didn't say anything about bags of spanners! It was just a casual observation that in MY opinion she's not excessively attractive - not that bad either - just normal.

As for "imbecilic tart" & "overrated moron" well, as the saying goes "if the cap fits" and who can seriously argue that the "achievements" of pretty boy Beckham are even on the same planet as Paula Radcliffe's?

...and George Best would run rings 'round Beckham anyday (except when he's pissed of course!)
  • Options
    actually, come to think of it, even when his IS pissed!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Snoop Dogg - the 'blonde bint' sitting next to George Best happens to be his wife!!!

I'm really glad Paula won and it was thoroughly deserved, but what a mess they made of the trophy presentations! Everyone standing around not knowing what to do, and Paula looking decidely awkward and uncomfortable.

It was great to see a worthy winner, but I don't think there's any need to be so harsh about poor old Beckham. He's a nice bloke, OK - just gets too much exposure because he's a footballer.
  • Options
    I Take your point, Beckham can't help being thick I suppose.

(I heard a rumour he was going to put a DVD on his christmas present wish list, but he couldn't spell it!)
  • Options
    Paula Radcliffe had 12 votes from me!!!! Very worthy winner...she is just awesome! I saw one of the early postings, not read all in between but I agree that Jane Tomlinson is again a most awesome woman....We should feel suitably humbled by her outstanding achievemnet! Maybe there should be a RW official awards for those of outstanding bravery and courage! My nomination goes to Jane Tomlinson!
  • Options
    Minky - good point I thought the actual presentation was awful. They usually hand the trophies out as people come up and then sideline them so that the winner gets the trophy and stands centre stage. That's what happens when you ask an American to do the presentation ! It was the climax to the evening and I really thought it let the whole programme down.

By the way on the George Best point, I am not sure that being his wife prevents her being a blonde bint. Was the award for lifetime achievement or the achievement of still being alive ? He may have had great talent but the greater the talent the greater the waste.