Options

30minutes and now what

I have followed the guides as a beginner and yesterday ran 30minutes non stop for the first time. I was planning to keep my time at 30mintues for the next few weeks, but then what...? I've read about long runs and speed work but what I need is advice on getting from basic to knowing what I am doing!? Help please

Comments

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    When I started I just gradually went up about 5 mins a week. Try & maybe look at tougher runs (hills, off-road) in your area if you feel comfortable. After that, start looking at 5k - 10k races (loads of women-only events) in the new year.

Have you got a running partner? Is there a club anywhere near you (not all club members are elite athletes, most of us are plodders)?

Also, the next month is tough because of the other things that we sometimes do in December. If you can keep up your level until the new year, you'll be doing well.

Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks Gavo.
    I don't have a running partner but there are a couple of clubs here one of which is supposed to have a good womens section - not sure I'm up to that yet!
    I have great plans for running over Christmas, but know all about good intentions...this is the third time I have started running!
    thanks again,
    R
  • Options
    Ruth, as Gavo says, try to increase your time a bit on your longest run. The next bit it to try a bit of speedwork. You could try good old fartlek which is jog a bit then run a bit faster for a short distance, jog to recover, run a bit faster - a bit like the jog/walk you did to start running in the first play except its jog/run now.
    Another option is to go for your long run of say 30 minutes, then try and run the last five minutes or half mile/mile a bit faster. (Think of home and hot showers - it helps to make your legs move after a long run!)
    Well done on getting this far. Keep it up over the Christmas break and you'll be surprised how much you can do by New year and Spring.
  • Options
    First of all, Ruth well done. Half an hour is a fantastic achievement - you need to be dead proud of yourself.

I'd seriously recommend you run a 5k race. I started running this year training for Race for Life, which was 5k and I did it in about half an hour. The adrenaline rush and motivation that I got was just amazing and I'm signed up for the Great North Run as a result!!! You've hit a major target, you need to keep the passion going.

Nice one!! Well done.
  • Options
    Having just got in from my third nonstop 30minute run and feeling like death it is good to know that I am doing well! Do other people feel bad some days? Having started running in the past and kind of achieved goals (I've jogged the great north run twice!) i really want to keep it up this time and know that days like today when it was really hard work happen for other people!?
  • Options
    Ruth I amazed myself and went out this morning in the dark and cold. Even though I did 10k on Monday, 5k this morning was SO much harder. Some times, it just feels harder than others.

Don't you worry. Just keep going.
  • Options
    Thanks cathryn, it is good to know that it isn't jus me! I'm struggling to get up and go out in the cold and dark though so I'm really impressed that you did this morning! What is the secret?
    Ruth
  • Options
    Having a housemate who bangs on your door - and a small dress to fit into for the christmas party next week. I never run in the mornings as a rule, but it's a very small dress...

Ooh...good tip from aforementioned housemate. Put all your running gear (top stuff at least) on radiator over night. It was heavenly...
  • Options
    I like the radiator tip, but forget the little dress, let's hope this running gets rid of a few pounds too!
    How long did it take to get from beginner to running 10k?
  • Options
    I've just done that struth.

From collapsing after half a mile in mid Sept, to 'coping' with a 10k last weekend. So about 3 months for me.
  • Options
    I must be on a go slow then! I start at the end of Sept and I've managed 2.5 miles so far in 30minutes! I don't think anyone will ever put me down as a fast girl - my legs are too short for a start!
  • Options
    Golly I was waaaay crapper than that. I started in March, picked up seriously in April, did Race for Life 5k in June and then my first 10k in August.

I have stumpy legs too... not built for running, me!! Ruth, there's no need to rush anything. The only person you need to prove anything to is yourself. I'm a firm believer that enjoying it is more important than building miles. If you can do both - fab.
  • Options
    If 30 minutes is all you want then its fine. 3x a week will significantly reduce the risk of most heart disease and has many other benefits.

If you want to do more, then do so, but build it slowly. You can keep your curent schedule for a month or so and you will still gain.

Mornings are always harder - your muscles are cold and rested from overnight and not really set up for work. However, this doesn't mean its not beneficial.

having fun is the MOST important thing.