Options

Shoes/Footscanning in Birmingham

I've Just started running around a lot in the Birmingham area and want some shoes that don't hurt me feets for Christmas... Does anyone know of any shops which could sort me out? I've heard about gettting a footscan done (was it adidas?) to determine what sort of trainers I need. Do these work? It seems to me a bit random to prescribe a certain shoe based on one or two footprints - especially when you're thinking about hitting the mat/how your foot is falling onto it. (I know I lose all ability to walk sensibly if I think about the mechanics of what my body is doing). Thoughts/tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I went to Runaround in Malvern (bit too far south of bham maybe?) and a nice man looked at my shoes and feet and made me walk on a treadmill. He spent about 20mins talking to me about my running and feet before prescribing a really good pair of New Balance shoes. Interestingly, before I got them I had v bad hip pains during and after running, which disappeared immediately with new trainers! It's well worth going to a proper running shop staffed by proper runners who understand the shoe issue.
  • Options
    Hi Dog

The Sutton Runner on Jockey Road in Sutton Coldfield is a super little shop where they don't do scanning and suchlike but are endlessly patient (I always try on just about every shoe in the shop) and have never sold me a bad one yet. Birmingham Runner on the Stratford Road is also very good. The nearest Sweatshop is in Dudley.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    In Brierly Hill there's a Next Geration gym, which has a Sweatshop with an Adidas footscan device. And a treadmill.

I think you run across the thing, and it measures the areas of greatest pressure on your feet. But presumably it's only one footstrike, so isn't a great enough sample to give an accurate result? I don't know, because I haven't tried it.

Keep us posted if you do!
  • Options
    I agree with Helen T, Runaround are great and really know what they're talking about. Even though I wasn't buying trainers on my last trip there, they were happy to offer advice and explain things - very important for a beginner like me!

I haven't been too impressed with the footscan thing. Very expensive (and painful) mistake when Birmingham Runner sold me a pair of Asics Nimbus IV on the basis of two footscans. My feet and legs have never hurt so much!

Don't forget to take your current pair of trainers with you when you go shopping. The assistant will be able to look at the wear pattern on the sole, which will be helpful in finding you a suitable new pair.

Good luck.
  • Options
    You would be better off with a sales assistant that knows what they are talking about regards running, shoes, footstrikers etc. Sutton Runner is a good shop like velociraptor says!
  • Options
    Dog,

There are a couple of shops that do the Footscan; Birmingham Runner over in Solihull and Sweatshop over in Dudley.

FR