Options

Desert RATS stage race

Hello everyone, hope you don't mind me picking your brains... Last year I completed the first-ever Desert Race Across The Sands (Desert RATS) 148 mile stage footrace in the United States. During the race I befriended the race director and asked him if he had promoted the race in Europe, especially UK. I found that it was minimal promotion at best and thought that such a race would appeal to adventure runners in the UK. I'll outline the race and then ask a few questions.

The race is 6-days along the remote Kokopelli Trail (Colorado to Utah), along sandy stretches, canyons, arches, mesas. During the 6 days we might have seen a dozen other people out there. The format is very much like the Marathon des Sables, with stages ranging from 9 to 50 miles. Terrain is dirt and some sand, temperature 35-40 degrees (Celsius). Must carry a pack with mandatory gear and a lot of water. Different than the Marathon des Sables is that sleeping gear and mess kit are transported to each tent camp and meals are actually prepared for you. Cost is reasonable as well. (www.geminiadventures.com) It was an incedible experience for all involved, and I hope that it gets more participation - especially International. It would add a wonderful aspect.

Would this type of race in the US appeal to any of you?

If so, what would be a good medium for marketing to the Eurpoean adventure running community?

Thanks for any ideas.