Options

How are people doing

When I first came on here ages ago, there were several people all starting to run. I was wondering how people were getting on. I, of course, have given up any vestige of doing anything! Mainly 'cos I have an assignment to get in, plus I need to prepare for an interview and the weather doesn't help.

On the plus side I have found a running club in my area who would be most happy for me to join once I can manage half an hour without stopping.

So back to the drawing board for me. Hope you guys are doing better.

Helen

Comments

• Options
    It was a glass of some kind of German beer - I was in Berlin, outside a pub. I can't remember what kind of beer it was now, I did have several & throughly enjoyed them! That's why I need to run. To counteract the effects of the beer.

H
  • Options
    Raingirl, instead of looking on it as drinking, and then having to run, see it as running to allow yourself to drink more!!! works for me
  • Options
    Oh no - please don't encourage me to drink more. Encourage me to run by all means, but not drink more! Which reminds me, I have a bottle of beer waiting for in the fridge at home which is appealing to me far more than a run around the streets in the dark

H
  • Options
    a-ha. run home!! encouragement AND drink!
  • Options
    It's 7 miles home - are you trying to kill me? I'm only a poor little beginner who has just had a lapse. Gasp, gasp!
  • Options
    Excuses, excuses... get back running, lass!
  • Options
    Raingirl do you life in London?

There is a club here (unaffiliated) which meets at a different pub somewhere in London once a week (I think or maybe once a month). They then all head off for a run returning to the pub for the remainder of the night. I only ever experianced them once but Im told they have a web site where they co-ordinate thier meets. There is no age limit or ability limit just a requirement to be abole to consume vast amounts of alcohol after a run...
    For obvious reasons those I spoke to all seemed to be from Australia or South Africa although there were a few (overweight) city types there as well.

I just wish I could remember who they are...
  • Options
    'fraid not - I'm from London originally, but now live in Sheffield. There's a local club who take all comers, although you have to be able to do the basic half hour without stopping. I was nearly there too a couple of weeks back. They do 3 runs a week then go to the pub after (only for a reasonable amount), which is where I met them! So I'll join them once I'm back up to fitness.

H
  • Options
    I run so I can drink more
    but at the current rate, I need to do 100 miles a week
    oops
    Seriously raingirl, just get into the habit of 20 minutes run(walk if you need), four times a week
    If times a problem, then get up early
    Youl soon be back on track, and when the summer months come, it wiil seem SO easy compared to this cold weather
    It works or me
    Get out there, you know you want to
  • Options
    I run to get fit .. the fact it enables me to drink at least 5 nights out of 7 is just lucky !!!! and then there is the food thing ...
    April saw me hanging gasping, (for breath and a fag) over someones wee wall... I had ran approx 200 yards... YES those were the days ...
    now a pro of 1 marathon and 2 halfs .. slowly but surely ... and no fags ... I'm getting there .. so keep it up ...

DD
  • Options
    Started in April. Fairly fit but having never run 100 yds. Found out I couldn't run 100 yds.

Run 13 miles today.

Raced distances up to 8 this season, and have entered Bath Half and GNR for 2003.
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, it's much needed these dark wet mornings. I'm off to get some wet weather clothes recommendations.

H
  • Options
    Hi Raingirl. I started on June 20th and couldn't run across the road (honestly!). Now completed a 10k with no walking (thanx to Benz!). It's hard, I still have to force myself to go out there, but once I have I'm SO pleased. Moving soon and have committed to joining a running club, so I guess there's no going back. Can you find someone to run with?
  • Options
    After Christmas I'm going to join a local group who run Wed & Fri eves & Sun am. Should be better once I've got someone to go with.

H
  • Options
    And I now run without walking breaks, thanks to sassie
    So do a race
  • Options
    I'm thinking of starting with the Race for Life next year. That gives me a target to aim for, plus quite a few of my work colleagues take part in that one so there'll be a few friendly faces.

H
  • Options
    Winter always disrupts everything for me. I have had quite a long 'recovery' time, of doing virtually nothing. Now it is all Christmas parties, and trying to get started again is difficult. Managed 2 runs last week, but on my drinking to exercise ratio, I owe myself a lot more! Oh well, looks like January is going to be tough...
  • Options
    Ashley - you're not thinking of the Hash House Harriers or something are you - I was staggering back from a works drinking session when I bumped into a group of people talking about running, and followed them into a pub where they welcomed me to their soiree and fed me beer and food! Nice bunch of people :-)
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I only managed two runs last week as well, and I'm still beating myself up about it. It's just difficult trying to fir everything in at this time of year. I ran Monday and Tuesday and had planned to run Thursday, but coming home from work I felt really tired and slightly under the weather, and decided not to run rather than risk coming down with something.

Ran last night, plan to run tonight, and hopefully Thursday ...

I think we should all cut ourselves some slack during the festive season though!
  • Options
    Greetings all - been away for a bit and am having a horrid December...started having knee problems, so had to slacken off the running a bit. But the worst part has been having to see my mother go into a nursing home. She's got Alzheimer's and my father couldn't cope with looking after her anymore. So I've been hurtling up to North Wales at regular intervals over the past six weeks. Alzheimer's has got to be one of the cr*ppiest diseases ever invented.
  • Options
    Sympathies meerkat
  • Options
    I started running in August, but had a good base level of fitness from going to the gym several times a week. I've been pleased with my progress - did a half marathon the end of November. My new fitness also helped me get through the Police fitness test and get me a new job as a Police Officer (i start training in January).

I've had a bit of a leg injury over the past two weeks which has meant i haven't been able to run - i've cross trained instead. However, i went to a sweatshop at the weekend, found out i overpronate, have been wearing the wrong shoes (neutral ones) and this has caused my leg problems. Bought some new trainers and should be ready to run again at the weekend.

Got a charity place for FLM so itching to get training again. Not the best time to get started again as many of you have said!!

• Options
    Ah, but things will get better on the running front as we head into spring and Summer