Options

Am i good enough to join a club

Hi, i currently train 6 days a week covering about 40 - 50 miles every week. I entered my first 10k cross country last week and even though the ground was boggy finished in 41 minutes. I now want to start racing on roads and maybe join a club, but want to be competitive before i start. what time would i have to achieve over 10k to achieve this?

Comments

• Options
    It all depends what you mean by competitive. If you want to win a car by shattering a course record you need to be able to do 27 mins. If you want to finish about half way down the field you are too good already.
  • Options
    Thanks going on a training run tonight. going to see what my time over 10k is like on the road.
  • Options
    Looking at results on club websites is usually a pretty good guide as to what sort of times you may wish to aim for. E.g., many local 10k road races can be won in around 30-31mins, but it depends on the course. Cross countries will always be a little slower. Sounds like you'd be somewhere towards the front in most races, so don't worry, clubs will be thrilled to have you.
  • Options
    Hey Stevie,
    Many of us do not run half your mileage and would need to be given a sedative for over excitement if we posted that sort of time. I recently joined a local club and had a warm welcome and I am a damn site slower than that. Thanks for making me feel even slower!!!!! Go join!
    Steve
  • Options
    41 over grass - you'd be in the top third for the races that I run in and there are a lot of clubs around my way. Clubs need runners like you for their local league results. Go for it!
  • Options
    Hi, Stephen, ive just joined a club and have been welcomed even though i can only manage 10k in 65 mins, so im sure any club would be thrilled to see you walk through their door.

go for it..
  • Options
    Depends on the club. If you join a "proper" major athletics club you will be pretty slow - but if you join a running club you will be sort of half way up or faster depending on the club. Cross country leagues vary but in general I would say that the standard is going to be as good or better than the average road race - because cross country is generally all club runners.

If you like being competitive choose your club carefully - if you are wanting to push yourself and improve you'll want a club with plenty of runners better than you who can push you and act as targets. Try all the clubs in your area - go out and run with them - ask what activities they offer - for example do they do cross country, fell racing, enter road racing leagues etc. Also some offer track sessions and stuff like that - that is something you can't really do on your own so its worth asking whether they do that.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. Ran last night in 39 mins. Going to look for a club next week.
  • Options
    Well done on your times, as you have decided you are already plenty fast enough to join a club and will achieve the interclub competitiveness that will progress you even faster.

All, no-one has to be a certain speed usually to join a club, the club I am in caters for people running between 10min and 5min miles so if you have any doubts about your speed then just contact your local club.

Best wishes, NN