Options

Ridgeway 40

Is there anyone posting on here doing this in May. I am looking forward to this but am a bit nervous about the distance etc.

Is there anyone who has done this and can give me a any tips etc.

Thanx in advance

Comments

• Options
    Hasnt anybody done this one at all, does anyone have any tips for trying to run this type of distance..

Alan
  • Options
    Hello Al,

I gues nobody is replying 'cos nobody has done it...

I did the Ridgeway...about 85 miles of it over 2 days on a very heavy MTB a few years ago...can't give you any tips as such...you just need to get out and train...is this a bike or running thing???...if running, I can see your worry about the distance but of course this depends on what you have done before and how you have trained..
  • Options
    oops...just noticed it's a run...then all I can say is to train like you would for any distance race ... get some advice from the ultra runners here...I'm not one of them...
  • Options
    Ratbag,

thanks for the rply, yes it is a running thing. I am running a marathon in a couple of weeks and plan to reduce my speed considerably. It will be great im sure
  • Options
    At the plod, I see you're a climber & mountaineer - you'll have no trouble then! I did my first 40m race a few weeks ago, taking 8h5m30s - I'm sure you'll beat that! Running's got a hold on me recently, and last Saturday, my first day climbing outside for about 4 months, I wasn't performing very well. Just hope I do better in the London mara next Sunday.

Where d'you climb?
  • Options
    Mostly peaks, and a season or two in the Alps, it used to be my big thing but kids and wives etc, (4 of the former and 1 of the latter) keep me from it. Running is what I do now because it is more accessible
  • Options
    Planning on doing this with a couple of Club Mates. Not done a 40m before but lots of off road Marathons & 50ks. Mates are v experienced ultra Runners but probably won't be able to keep up with them...

I don't think there's a huge field of runners so no matter what your time you'll probably get a high place!

Hope it's not too hot!

Simon
  • Options
    I never knew there was a Ridgeway 40. That sounds interesting.

The Full 85 mile ridgeway challenge thingmy is in mid summer I think and is a TRA event. Its in its second year.

If your gonna run the ridgeway might as well do the whole thing ;-)
  • Options
    Calm down Jason, you're supposed to be recovering. Put your feet up mate!

At the plod, I don't know what kind of time you're aiming at, but most mortals walk up the hills in this kind of event.

And something that I find is good for my morale is to compare a forthcoming race with previous ones, work out what time I expect (using race calculators if necessary) allowing for the terrain, whether mapreading is required, etc., and come up with target split times, so I can check I'm going at my intended speed.
  • Options
    I am aiming for a sub 8 hour time, I have some experience of travelling long distances on foot so I know about the pacing thing, but this is a long way and it is going to take a huge amount of endurance. Calculating Splits at known points is a good trick, I will have to get the map out and plot points on it or some other way etc. I have a marathon at the weekend and a time of 4 hours is hoped for, the ridgeay is only approx 50% more but I am aiming for a 1.8 increase in time, this comes out at under 8 hrs for the whole thing. However so much relies on the day, the conditions, fuel, food, water, etc etc.
  • Options
    How'd you guys get on? Came in in 7:59 which I was pleased with as it was my first 40.

Simon