Options

New watch for Christmas?

My wife has recently started running and I would like to buy her a fairly basic (not because I'm cheap!) running watch for Christmas, with a budget of not more than £50.

Does anybody have any recommendations? (NB:At present she does not want a heart-rate monitor). What functions do you consider are a 'must have'?

Comments

• Options
    I use a Timex Ironman with 30 lap memory. It has all the functions you really need - chrono, timer , stopwatch ,Indigo Night Light, big display, and best of all Natterjack in Southport has them on sale for only £17. See there ad in Runners World mag - I think they do mail order. Go for the one with the plastic strap as the velcro one's go a bit smelly after a while.
  • Options
    No! Go for the velcro - it's comfy and groovy! (OK, it does get sweaty!).
    Got my 30 lap for £25 in Argos, having expected to spend £50+ on a watch.

Unless you'll need more than 30 laps stored (8 lap ones aren't enough, and a 50+ might be useful if you're timing a marathon in km intervals, or you're VERY serious about interval training), the only thing it doesn't have is a two (or more) period interval timer, but the one period's fine for me.

And mail order might be iffy this close to Christmas!
  • Options
    I have a lovely Timex Rush VO2, with the fabric strap.

50 split storage/recall, 2 countdown timers that will run consecutively for speed work & recovery, alarm & all that.

£35

And it is a girls watch - so it's slightly less huge & ugly than most sports watches.

Love the fabric strap - although it does get a bit soggy, it doesn't give me a rash like the metal clasp on a normal watch. But that's just me......
  • Options
    buy it from www.girlsruntoo.co.uk

very lovely.

and no i don't work there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Of course whatever I buy my wife for Christmas will be wrong anyway.............