Oh Fatherland, Fatherland,
    Show us the sign
    Your children have waited to see.
    The morning will come
    When the world is mine.
    Tomorrow belongs to me!

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I think Ratbag would have done a better job.
  • Options

waaps -- shut up now.

• Options
    lol

its funny Waaps i was humming the same tune

Conservative, White European
  • Options
    but 78 so he wont last as long surely
  • Options
    if the hitler youth guy wins
    then that about says it all for my opinion of religion

anway
    it's not gonna be a woman
    so am not interested

:-P

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    1 step forward, 78 steps back for the Vatican.
  • Options

nooooooooooooooooo

stop with the politics now

please ?

:o|
  • Options
    hey when the Pope is a black disabled lesbian we know the world is a better place

or maybe ive been sectioned
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    The Inquisition is back

mwahahahahaa
  • Options

someone say something funny now

:o(
  • Options
    Taxi for Buney-nope its a white van
  • Options

[gets in white van]

:o|
  • Options
    is the Pope a catholic?

...do bears sit in the woods ?
  • Options
    ah well - Ratzo will be dead fairly quickly (he's 78) so maybe next time we will have a Pope with a few more forward thinking brain cells than Benedict XVI and the John Paul II.............or probably not.........
  • Options
    I think they've just got onto the 'good stuff' ;)
  • Options
    <br>Here's the Sunday Times piece - its a bit more balanced than my comments. Maybe the journalist didn't have the crap beaten out of him by nuns at his primary school...

THE wartime past of a leading German contender to succeed John Paul II may return to haunt him as cardinals begin voting in the Sistine Chapel tomorrow to choose a new leader for 1 billion Catholics. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, whose strong defence of Catholic orthodoxy has earned him a variety of sobriquets — including “the enforcer”, “the panzer cardinal” and “God’s rottweiler” — is expected to poll around 40 votes in the first ballot as conservatives rally behind him. Although far short of the requisite two-thirds majority of the 115 votes, this would almost certainly give Ratzinger, 78 yesterday, an early lead in the voting. Liberals have yet to settle on a rival candidate who could come close to his tally. Unknown to many members of the church, however, Ratzinger’s past includes brief membership of the Hitler Youth movement and wartime service with a German army anti- aircraft unit. Although there is no suggestion that he was involved in any atrocities, his service may be contrasted by opponents with the attitude of John Paul II, who took part in anti-Nazi theatre performances in his native Poland and in 1986 became the first pope to visit Rome’s synagogue. “John Paul was hugely appreciated for what he did for and with the Jewish people,” said Lord Janner, head of the Holocaust Education Trust, who is due to attend ceremonies today to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. “If they were to appoint someone who was on the other side in the war, he would start at a disadvantage, although it wouldn’t mean in the long run he wouldn’t be equally understanding of the concerns of the Jewish world.” The son of a rural Bavarian police officer, Ratzinger was six when Hitler came to power in 1933. His father, also called Joseph, was an anti-Nazi whose attempts to rein in Hitler’s Brown Shirts forced the family to move home several times. In 1937 Ratzinger’s father retired and the family moved to Traunstein, a staunchly Catholic town in Bavaria close to the Führer’s mountain retreat in Berchtesgaden. He joined the Hitler Youth aged 14, shortly after membership was made compulsory in 1941. He quickly won a dispensation on account of his training at a seminary. “Ratzinger was only briefly a member of the Hitler Youth and not an enthusiastic one,” concluded John Allen, his biographer.
  • Options
    passes cath a rum and coke in back of white van
  • Options
    actually he does have the look of his Popiness..think he can carry off he part
  • Options
    cont//.

Two years later Ratzinger was enrolled in an anti-aircraft unit that protected a BMW factory making aircraft engines. The workforce included slaves from Dachau concentration camp. Ratzinger has insisted he never took part in combat or fired a shot — adding that his gun was not even loaded — because of a badly infected finger. He was sent to Hungary, where he set up tank traps and saw Jews being herded to death camps. He deserted in April 1944 and spent a few weeks in a prisoner of war camp. He has since said that although he was opposed to the Nazi regime, any open resistance would have been futile — comments echoed this weekend by his elder brother Georg, a retired priest ordained along with the cardinal in 1951. “Resistance was truly impossible,” Georg Ratzinger said. “Before we were conscripted, one of our teachers said we should fight and become heroic Nazis and another told us not to worry as only one soldier in a thousand was killed. But neither of us ever used a rifle against the enemy.” Some locals in Traunstein, like Elizabeth Lohner, 84, whose brother-in-law was sent to Dachau as a conscientious objector, dismiss such suggestions. “It was possible to resist, and those people set an example for others,” she said. “The Ratzingers were young and had made a different choice.” <br>
  • Options
    i have a degree of sympathy (even as a Jew) for a 14 year old kid who just did what was effectively required of him
    and it seems like his dad was infact trying to fight it

i think the problem is that when you get a very powerful position, coupled with a person known to be very "conservative", you can't help reading the worst into their past

but how do we know if this biographer is just interpreting events rather kindly

the only input from the guy himself in that quote appears to be
    "gun was not even loaded — because of a badly infected finger"

which sounds rather too much like
    "i did not inhale" or " i did not sleep with that woman"

i am not saying the two guys are comparable but it sucks of pathetic defense and makes you wonder what really went on

ok , move over in the van and make a space for me now
  • Options
    courtesy of the other thread on general, look at the first item and tell me he isn't doing a double nazi salute....

http://www.cafepress.com/ratzfanclub
  • Options

I've just ordered a Papist hat. (And managed to avoid the obvious distateful joke).
  • Options
    Thank god I am C of E. Well to be honest I'm agnostic.

History can be difficult and a 14 year old forced into the Hitler Youth can't be blamed - as long as he wasn't too enthusiastic and an expert at operating gas ovens.

On the C of E front it made me smile when people said HRH shouldn't be able to remarry. Surely the Church of England was founded to enable a King to get a divorce and remarry !
  • Options
    Hi Brooks, i'm so glad it's not just me that's noticed that!!