Options

Frequency of long run for London

I wondered whether experienced runners could advice me please...
Would running long every other weekend suffice so long as I get the mileage upped each time ? I am hoping for 3h30 or below and average about 40 iles a week. But I seem to get injured a lot and this of course disrupts the training.
I would normally rum long 3 out of 4 weekends but may have to opt for a less frequent approach. I was interested what others so ? I presume that so long as I get a couple 20+ runs done doesnt really matter on their freq ? Any tips would be great.
I have possbly strained a calf muscle this week and was due a long run tomorrow, I did do approx 16 miles last week..

Comments

• Options
    I guess you have to listen to your body and not follow anything too rigidly and end up getting injured. It probably also depends how much running you've done before you start training.

I guess the next question is how are you going to maintain the weekly mileage on the weeks you don't do the long run. I'm assuming you don't intend to rest totally, but maybe do 12 instead of 20? This will still need an extra day's running to make up the other eight.

I guess another option is to run long 2 out of 3 - which is between 3 out of 4 and every other one.

A friend skimped on the long runs last year, and although he kept up the weekly total, he was very disappointed with his time - said he dies in the second half.

Sorry Hubcap - no definite answers - just a few thoughts.
  • Options
    Another (non-expert) question: why are you getting injured so much? You might want to look at changing your shoes, or the surface you run on, or your warm-up/stretching routines.

Good luck, Andy
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Hubcap,
    my opinion is that as long as your training is consistent and you manage long runs to the total of 100 miles over your marathon training period that should be fine. You could do one every other week, for instance
    18 miles
    12 miles easy week
    20 miles
    12 miles easy week
    18 miles
    12 miles easy week
    20 miles
    12 miles easy week

Also, if you are prone to injury I would do a 12 week build up as opposed to 14,16 or 18 weeks. Obviously this will depend on your normal training, but if you are up to 16 miles already then it should be ok.

Good luck and hope you stay injury free. Agree with RC about finding out why you keep getting injuries.
  • Options
    If you are hoping for a sub 3:30, I would recommend that your five longest runs, over the 12 weeks prior to the marathon, should total 100 miles or more. Given that you should be tapering during the last 2 weeks, fortnightly 20 mile runs might be OK, but I'd still go for a longish run during the weekends you're not going long.

Injuries are a risk - but you need to make a choice - harder training increases injury risk (though I'm not certain that long runs are the most harmful - speed sessions are riskier) - but the harder you train the more confident you can be about achieving your time target.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks all for advice.
    I try to stretch at end of each run and have got new shoes as well. MAybe i need proper assessment of my gait/etc,, Might also help if i lost some weight- I am about 13s 9 so to get down to 13 stone may help.
    I am torn between getting some long runs in early so if injured have some done- or as advised above do limited 12 week programme.
    I will see how calf is this week and plan from there ! Thanks again.
  • Options
    Hubcap - nothing wrong (IMO) with doing some long runs early, as long as you don't jump up to them too fast.

Not sure how it will work though - in 2000 I had a 6 week break prior to FLM due to twinge in right knee, and even though I'd done lots of long runs prior to that, I was pants on the day.

The weight should come off with the running, as long as you're not stuffing your face too much :-)
  • Options
    Thanks iain-
    put on 4 pounds over XMas-
    Unfortunately have had a bloody viral thing for 3 weeks now and feeling really ill when tried cross training yesterday ! Will have another 3 days off which means total break of 6 days- maybe will do some good- esp r calf and L achilles !
    If able to might do 13-14 miles Sun and then get back to 16 miles week after.
    I guess flexibilty is the key as never know what is round the corner !
  • Options
    Hi Hubcap,
    I had the same prob couple of years back so I know how u feel mate!There's so much advice around but will it work for you. Firstly I did all my long runs off road and didn't do as much racing approaching the LM.I also sat in a cold bath after the long runs!uncomfortable but it works,drains all the excess fluid that builds up around the joints, you can have the hot shower after.You are probably warming down and stretching after the speed work too so there's no point in telling you that!I also found that a good sports massage on the legs once a week really helped. My mate is a qualified Sports masseur but get your partner or running partner to do it.It's cheaper than physio bills!Hope this helps.Good luck.Oh I did manage 3.38 which was a PB.