Options

long marathon run

2»

Comments

• Options
    The only problem I found with the Accuroute software was allowing for hills.

Since it doesn't actually take these into account, some distances came up short.
  • Options
    Hi All,

I have just read through all of the postings and there is some very scientific work going on to measure distances!!

I am very lucky in measuring my runs. I have the 30+ Mile Basingstoke canal here in Hampshire on which I run. I have a local book which fully maps the whole canal towpath and you can get distances to and from almost every access point.

I look at the book, workout my run depending on the distance required and either do a one way run with a train trip to return home or I do a return run.

One day I might get really keen and run the whole Canal - One Day!

If you live near a Canal, my suggestion is to try and use it for your runs. There is always a local Canal society that produces books with distances and features.

Canals are far better than hard and uninteresting street routes.

Yours in Running

Richard

• Options
    Ive got a oregon scientific satallite whatch to see how far im going unfortunatley its crap! just keeps loosing signal anybody else had any trouble with one??
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My goodness where did this thread spring from. It's a couple of years old:o)

I've got a GPS now too:o)
  • Options
    i wish i lived near a canal

Anyone know if there's a website that lists all the canals so i can find my nearest one, and see if its worth travelling to.

Hilly i wondered that too
    You come in leaps and bounds since this thread started
  • Options
    No accurate maps here so I'm going to invest in a GPS, which is best??
  • Options
    If i am training for 1500m/3000m on the track is a long run benifitial i am thinking of uping it to 80 mins
  • Options
    RB2. I think the answer is yes, judging from an article I read in Running Fitness. Shorter range peeps can usefully train hard to double the race distance. Personally I don't fancy trying to do 52.4 miles!

PS I bet Hilly is now doing her weekly 20's a bit quicker. MG2 has told me that I've got to work a bit harder, so that's tomorrow's job.
  • Options
    hi running bros and sisters, i need help. when is a long run a long run? i am currently training for the cardiff marathon expected time 3.45. i run with my club twice weekly monday 9 miles and thursday 9 miles saturday long run of 16 to 20 miles with two 4 mile recovery runs in between, are 9 mile runs long ??? dave s
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi DAS, I think long run distance depends on what you're training for. As you're training for a marathon then I'd say the long run is anything over 15 miles. My long run on the weekend is 20 miles, which my mid-week med long run is 15 miles. All my other runs in the week will be between 5-10 miles, which I class as short to med. Hope this helps.
  • Options

a very interesting thread which I have read from start to end! and its given me a great boost for achieve my marathon target time in April based on trainingdoing now. Thanks Hilly. btw 20,422 forum posts!! is that really for real!!?? its less your legs aching that you need to worry about and more your fingers!! image

ps. Garmin 305 rules!!! love it!!

pps. and RW garmin ready schedules kick ass!! thanks RW!

• Options
    Having trouble getting doctor to sig medical form for Venice Marathon - makes it sound like doc will hung drawn and quartered if I pop my clogs. Any advice on what to do. Anyone out there got advice on Venice Marathon apart from jumping in gondola at 20mile mark?
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Really interesting thread.

Hilly, I am pretty much at the same point now (and aiming for the same Marathon times) as you were back in 2002! Could you (and any other earlier contributors) please update some of us 20,000+ viewers who have read this thread, with how you got on.

What times did you reach, what training worked, what didn't, what are you doing training wise now?

Thanks