Options

Real Chances of Getting In - Feb RW

Hey

The Feb. edition of Runners World has an article on page 44 which explains the real chances of getting in.

Of course by now we all know whether we've got in or not but it makes very interesting reading, i.e. the guaranteed places according to this article total 26,500. Apparently 46,000 places are offerred on the assumption that 33,000 of these will turn up on the day which means that 19,500 places are allocated from the draw.

I do, however, wonder just how accurate this is - and I have 2 reservations. First, according to the article, the Charity Golden Bond Places total 10,000 but I have already heard from Mecca Ibrahim of justgiving.com that the charities have 10,500 places sothere may be other places in the article where the numbers are rounded down to the nearest 1,000.

Secondly, according to the article only 1,000 runners get through on the qualifying time (i.e. the main 'under 59 one) but if this is the case then there must be another draw because far more than 1,000 people could get through this way as the qualifying time is 3:15 (much faster than my pace but a lot of people can manage this).

Does anybody know if there is a draw for those who make the qualifying time ? That only the first 1,000 drawn out of a hat get through this way.

Anyway Ithought you would all be interested in this article - it's on page 44 of Feb. RW.

Ciao,

Comments

• Options

If I knew how to cancel a thread, I'd cancel this one. I really thought people would be interested in this - obviously not, . . . . oh, it's gone back to the front, well, not for long,. . . .. . . . . ......
  • Options
    Hi MR

I know a couple of runners who consistently get automatic entry because they have bettered the qualifying time - ie they have'nt had to go through a draw (to answer your question)

There's been some talk in the running press of falling standards amongst "fast" marthon finishers, in spite of the popularity of running. Maybe this is reflected in the nos qualifying for automatic entry ? 1000 does seems light though.

Another issue worth picking up on in the Hugh Jones article is the policy of giving corporate places to sponsors of the Marathon. There was a story last year of one big sponsor off-loading (unused) entries at the last minute...

t.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Out of interest I thought you may like to know that in the small club (with about 65 runners)that I belong, which has some very good standard of runners, only 1 mand and 3 women achieved GFA status. I suppose 1000 is quite feasible. Remember, that those who run faster than 3.15 for men and 3.45 for women will get championship places and these are obviously the excellent club runners.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    sorry than't 1 man!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It's New Year's eve and I'm having a drink before going out, so you'll have to excuse the misakes. One last try- that's 1 man!!
  • Options

I've just looked up last years' results and more than 2000 men got under 3:15. If all men who can prove a time in under 3:15 automatically get a place, then this must be quite an open number and could easily be 2,000, 3,000, 4,000, etc. and how many places are then free through the ballot really depends on how many 'fast' people actually applied - probably quite a few, thus even smaller chances of getting in through the ballot.

Innit ?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That's interesting MR. As you say the automatic entry places are open. Anyone can apply and run if they prove they have run any marathon in the past 2 years before the closing date for London. with the qulifying time.

From your statistics though, how many of those sub 3.15 men are actually sub 2.45 and would therefore qualify for a championship place, which is different to GFA.
  • Options
    I doubt it's more than 500 Hilly, a club mate of mine ran 2:37 and was just over 100th (117th from memory), and the runners were pretty spread out at that point.

My club is about the same size as yours Hilly and we have a few more people with automatic qualification - must be around 10 men and at least two women. We're not really a top notch club either - started small as a group of people training for the marathon in the eighties etc. We were in local Div 4 for cross country until last year when we got promoted.

I'd be surprised if there weren't more than 1000 places on the GFA. No telling how many will apply out of those eligible of course. There's also the point that people may do qualifying times at races other than FLM, which will add to the figures.

FLM also give automatic places to organisations that help out such as the police. One of our club members is a member of the police and helps distribute them.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it there must be over a 1000 places on the GFA as you say. On the green start last year, where they all start from, there were about 5000+ runners. I believe that also at that start are some celebs, which can't be too many, so yea close to 5000 is more likely than 1000.
  • Options

I think we may have got this wrong - perhaps it's 1,000 'Championship places' (under 2:45) and then 2,500 GFA in all categories and it's this number that could potentially be even higher thus reducing the number available through normal ballot ?