Options

It's Good To Walk

2»

Comments

• Options
    well done Margaret ! (Goyt Valley Challenge sounds interesting)

sorry about the rant it has been a bad week

planning to introduce some (very slow) running into the walking over the next few weeks so will keep plodding on!
  • Options
    keep going Bune, youre doing great
  • Options
    Hi Millipede

The Get You Round Group finished on the clock in 2.45. For me that was about 2hrs 20 because I queued at the back and it took a very long time to get over the start line!
  • Options
    Where can i find out more about the Goyt Valley challenge????
  • Options
    just done a 10k stride for life walk and got round in 1hr 19 which I'm pretty pleased about as I was aiming for under 2 hours!

has made me think about doing more 10k fast walks to work on getting below 75mins and then chipping away at the 60 - 70 minute target

Does anyone know of any events that would welcome fitness walkers or where i could look

Iknow all the arguments we have had about this is not a walking site but where else could I get this kind of info?

I am still intendng to run but the improvements I've got from fitness walking hav encouraged me to keep going at 10k walks
  • Options
    Why ruin a good run with a walk? Why ruin a good walk with a run. There are loads of walkers sites out there.
  • Options
    I found a shed load when I typed Goyt valley challenge into the search engine.
  • Options
    Hey Bune - well done! The first 10k I ran in training took me 1 hr 19 mins (have got it down to 1 hr 5 in races!) so that is a respectable time. Keep doing whatever version of running and walking you enjoy - it's all good for you...

Trickle
  • Options
    I agree with Daniel to an extent. If you look at the line under the "Its Good To Walk" I don't think those claims can be substantiated. Run/Walk is great if you are doing a distance that you couldn't complete running - and no shame in that at all. But as a training techniqe to go faster! Sorry I don't buy that. I don't see interval training as run/walk - it is a different beast entirely to someone walking one mile in 5 to enable them to complete a marathon. They both have their place but I would say for different people with different goals because they are different things - run/walk is not interval training - and as a race strategy it can only be for those that have entered a race that they can't complete by running - not a way for anyone else to improve their time. Not saying that is everyone's goal but if you read the article again I think a lot of different things are being described under one name and it is misleading.
  • Options
    I'm a beginner so I'm still run/walking.

Had a really good training session yesterday where I walked for 7 minutes, ran walked for 2 min running 1 minute running for 21 minutes and walked home.

4 miles in 46 minutes thats just over 10 minute miles and I know I could sustain that.

I'm doing R4L in July and GNR in September for brest cancer campaign (I've got a justgiving.com page for that). I'd rather run/walk and complete GNR feeling good try to run the whole thing and feel bad. From next training session onwards I'm running 3 mins and walking 1 over 24 minutes but I think I'll walk for the first seven and then start my run/walk.

Personally I feel that both running and walking are good exercise and that your better off listening to your body and doing what you feel comfortable with. If you walk some of the way you're not a wimp, and when you're running at least half, you are a runner.
  • Options
    Yep it is good to walk.
    We went for a long walk on sunday about 13 miles up hill and down again in the Peak District. Damn good exercise both for the legs and heart and got to be good running training.

Whatever is best for you Joanna !
  • Options
    After many dissappointing runs recently tried RW for 8 miles in 1.30 mins . Delighted and not over tired, this has encouraged me to attempt much longer runs, as previously struggled to go beyond 5 miles in continuous running.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Well, I did actually run the whole way, the last half I took part in. Came home 5 minutes slower than the previous one, in which I walked every mile for a minute! Make of that what you will.

Run-walking got me past the six mile barrier, the eight mile barrier, and gets my confidence back each time it is wrecked by my efforts to run continuously. It is the best I can do, and I am ridiculously proud of it.

When I first wore a number on my front, and took part in a race, I was on sticks, couldn't walk without them. During that fortnight, the runners I was travelling with made me feel absolutely welcome to share their road with them, even wasted their breath to cheer me on as they came racing past.

I owe those wonderful runners a debt of gratitude I will never forget.

Of course I understand there are other runners, who think that I shouldn't be there.

They are the losers, not me.
  • Options
    I was very impressed with run walk but when I ran with my running group several weeks later found it impossible to keep up. I am struggling to regain my former distances for continious running.I will keep run walk for only one of my sessions each week. Have others found similiar problems?
  • Options
    Apples and pears

I love walking - wether it be walking to work (4 miles along along the R.Taff), treking (eg 5 long trips to Iran in the past decade - still so much to see there) or just hill walking or scrambling in Wales or other parts of the UK.

I've always walked.

Something to do with my odd up-bringing - eg walking 3 miles to and from school every day, being give the right to roam from about age 6 onwards - plus the fact that my dad, brother, uncles etc have always refused to learn how to drive. My cousin detailed this in her column in the Independant last year, and caused much amusement + embaresment (sp !).

I'm fairly new to running and have quickly become obsessed with it. HOWEVER this is a very different activity best not confused with walking.

Walking is everything that running is'nt ; timeless, thoughtful, reflective, aesthetic.

Running is everything that walking is'nt - speed, time, endorphins (well - sometimes !), mind cleansing, the need to burn...

If I have to walk when I run I regard it as a failure. I'd rather gradually build up the mileage...

...and if I feel OK after my run, take the kids for a nice long walk !
  • Options
    No OFT

Some runners get all those felongs you describe when walking

And walking breaks have helped some achieve good times in longdistance

or let then get round at all(me)

Dont know if we should separate them, though i log them separately on training still
  • Options
    Hi Benz !

Your right, but so am I !!!!!!!!

At least about me anyway...

My views about my own walking and running, and the feelings and motivation for, are very much how I've described them.

Another case maybe of 'Odd Father Tim'..

Am jealous of others

• Options
    Further explanation maybe required

Case study 1.

Had I set-out to run-walk FLM am sure I'd also gone faster. No pit-stops in Dockland for an on-the-spot arthroscopy etc.

I'd have also probably not needed two months of physio/recovery. However, as much as it hurts to admit, something broke at m17 and I had to walk/hobblt the rest of the way. In hindight, I should have ended the run there and then

In short, I did a first marathon this year but cannot say that I ran it (grrr).

Case Study 2.

I jogged last night along the Taff River/Canal. This after a hot but odly interesting day learning about 'econutrition' and Public Health Crete style

(watch out Welsh People - its going to be 9 items of fruit/veg/wildherbs a day if these people get there way !). Thankfully, no plans to erradicate jaff cakes (phew..)

In short, a great run. Happy.

Case Study 3.

Tonight, plans are for a walk up Pen-y-Van to watch the sunset and, maybe, sacrifice a small child or two this being the solstice, Druid Land etc.

In short, act like a hippy. No need or plans to run.

Apples and pears (stands back and awaits to be flamed...)

Or, as Khayam said....

"The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on
    Nor all your energy nor wit shall lure it back
    To cancel half a word"

(Applies to just about everything I post on this forum !!!!!!!!!)