Options

When do you do it?

I have been doing my runs first thing in the morning, i.e. getting up at 5.30am, to make sure I had enough time to complete most of my midweek runs before going to work. Today I decided to run after work. I had a stitch, my legs hurt, my lungs hurt and I hated it. I took all the necessary precuations like not eating for 2 hours before, having a small drink an hour before but to no avail. Has anyone else switched from early morning to evening runs and regretted it? I will give it a go for this week but I think I shall probabaly be setting my alarm early next week!!

Comments

• Options
    Sorry mate nothing to do with your thread, but did you see yourself in print in this months RW?

I don't have a problem running mornings or evenings. Maybe it was just a bad day.
  • Options
    Hi Pizza Man, I got my RW today but can't find anything about me in there. There is an entry on p9 about Brooks the Beast but thats not me. Sadly I'm not famous enough to warrant an entry!!
  • Options
    Hi Beast,

Like you I run early morning and feel much better than in the evening. I gave up the idea of evening runs a long time ago - I either talked myself out of it by the time I arrived home from work or felt dreadful during the run.

We'll just have to carry on feeling self righteous all day!
  • Options
    Hi Barbara,
    I don't know about feeling self righteous all day....shattered is a better way to describe my sorry self!!! My problem is that I used to run way back when I was young and always trained early morning. I came back to running as my 50th approaches just to recapture some of my slimmer youth and for the last few months I really enjoyed my early morning runs. I switched this week so that I could give myself time to fit in the longer mid week runs later in my schedule but I am beginning to think I should just get up that little bit earlier.
  • Options
    Sad man that I am I have to go and watch Speed becuase I've never seen it before, so I am signing off now!! If anyone else has any thoughts on the merits of early morning runs I would really appreciate your views. Thanks and good luck to everyone on the 13th April 03.
  • Options
    Read it again Beast.

BTW there was a thread up in general the other day about some one wanting to organise a forum relay team. I thought you might like to add you knowledge.
  • Options
    I run both - long runs generally in mornings, mainly 'cos that's when the club goes out.

I've run home from work which is about 13 miles, as it's better than struggling home on the train (often slower!) and then having to run.
  • Options
    Has anyone else out there switched training times from AM to PM or PM to AM and not liked it.
  • Options
    Although I dread thinking I have to run in the evening, it's still better for me. Running in the mornings leaves me absolutely knackered. I find I have to have a sleep when I get back. Maybe I just haven't done early morning runs though. This is my first marathon and proper training, so either way I'm exhausted! I don't feel like running in the evenings but once I get out there(although other disadvantage is that I'm a girl running in the dark, so someone has to come with me otherwise I'm not allowed)I come back feel energised for the evening and my sleep is much improved. So to sum up, I think it just depends on your own personal preference.
  • Options

Hi Becky,
    I think my problem is that becuase I always used to train first thing in the morning some years ago I have convinced myself that this is the only time that is best. I have to be out of my house by 7.30am to drop my wife at the station before going on to work. I felt that getting up at 5.30am when I could be sleeping in for another hour wasd a waste of valuable sleeping time!! I think you are right its my personal preference so its back to early mornings, ho hum!

I am glad that you are taking sensible precuations by not running on your own at night though. Have you thought about using one of these forums to see if there are any other ladies who you could pair up with for some evening runs.
  • Options
    Oh wow "Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez" is this a competion then, I just thought I would ask a sensible question. Perhaps we should run during the night then>
  • Options
    I did that once last year. Finnished work 1am went out and did 18 miles. Never again I felt poo during the run and couldn't get to sleep for ages after so felt like poo all the next day too.

geezer do yo run? or just pop up on the forums every now & then for some kind of wierd kick
  • Options
    Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez couldn't go running, he's too busy making smart alec remarks on here.
  • Options
    Yeah, where do you run too, the kitchen and back in front of a PC screen!! Anyway Happy New Year. If you are a serious runner good luck on the 13th April and I hope you raise lots of money.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Not nice to have a bit of your own medicine is it geezer!
  • Options
    To The Beast.

So how has the running been going on over the New Year? Did you manage to do some early am runs? I've been running but it's been hard work this week.
    ps. I'm still waiting to see a picture of you on here.......
  • Options
    Hiya Mars,
    I have been very good, I got up and went for a run today. Only three miles but that was my scheduled run. I have uploaded a picture but I think it takes a while to get on screen. So what do you think about early morning runs v evening runs then?
  • Options
    Mars,
    How come you have time to post on here, why arn't you at work getting those files sorted!!!!!
  • Options
    Take a look at badlytrainedmonkey.com and register to find a training partner. A guy called Starkas has posted a link on the traing partners forum. Give it a go, you never know!! Hey I'm a poet as well as a runner!!
  • Options
    Mars,
    Get back to work!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Beast,

You slave driver!!! You know what they say "all work and no running......" (I just made that up but it sounds good doesn't it).

Anyway I did my training run after work....I'm getting there (slowly).

Just got to get ready for the long run at the weekend now.

See you next week my leader!