Options

Best way for FLM

Hi everyone,

My first FLM will be 2003 and at the grand age of 39 was interested if anyone had any good ideas of the best way for my family to watch me during the race? Should they just wait at one place or is there a way that they could catch me twice? I don't expect to be quick so there should be plenty of time for them to get about the course!

Cheers, Ian

Comments

• Options
    I pretty much agree with Geezer - it is possible if you want to hop on and off tubes/DLR to see family at more points, but the plan outlined is pretty good. I'd suggest going just past Tower Bridge onto The Highway, where you get to see them twice - once on the way out ot docklands and once on the way back if you cross the road (there's an pedestrian subway around mile 14). if you want to get fancy whizz out to docklands on the DLR inbetween.

Obviously the objective is to train so you don't need to walk, but there's nothing wrong with it if you do need to.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice - start + Tower Bridge + Westminster seems the best idea. I'd prefer to keep my horrible bits to myself in the docklands!

Not sure about the walking...My longest run is 9 miles, finished about 30 mins ago. I've signed up for the 1/2 in March as well but I reckon to have run/walk at least 2x 18 milers by then. I'm not interested in speed just getting around! Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    Actually Ian, plenty of people do run walk - it all depends how fit you are, how long you're training for, etc. Plus a lot of other variables, such as what happens on the day. I got dreadful cramp plus (I think) a virus buzzing around, and in spite of doing tons of training I was walking from mile 16 with bursts of running.

Nothing wrong with that, you won't be alone.

Nine miles at this stage sounds pretty good going if it's your first build up. They say aim to be able to do 15 comfortably by a month before, so if you can fit in the 18 milers by then you should be fine.

Don't worry about the extra 8 either - yes it will hurt, but the crowds (and fellow runners) are utterly fantastic, and there is no way (bar serious injury) that you'll give up having got that far.

Maybe try to find a 10 miler early in the new year - a few races adds interest to your training.