Options

Speed work

2»

Comments

• Options
    can't help you but bring the thread at the top for you.
    BOING!
  • Options
    I have found speedwork really beneficial but I agree that it's easier - and you push yourself harder - with a club. Speedwork sessions are the best way to start in a club because everyone works at their own pace. I only joined a club in October cos I have the same probs as you - kids, work, time - but it's worth it despite the stress of getting there! I have a knee injury and haven't run since Tuesday and have ben told to rest till next week. AAARRGGGHHH!!!
  • Options
    The club siggestion is right. I have run alone for donkeys years. Consequently I fall into my own steady pace on each run. Events turn into speed sessions just because there are others around me.

I went on my first visit to a club this week and was definitely 30secs per mile quicker than usual.

This way you train your body to accept an increased work date. There is also less tendency to indulge in negative self talk, those little thoughts thet say, "go on, give in".
  • Options
    OK, you've all convinced me (she says, delurking for a moment). I'm going to phone the local club and see how welcoming they are to a lone 'wrinkly' with delusions of becoming a runner.

btw Hippo - before you start all that 'you are a runner' stuff again, I saw a real one yesterday. He ran past me twice. I was red and puffing, doing the "walking to recover" bits, he was a running smoothly, effortlessly and fast, not a hint of pink, appeared not even to be out of breath. I want to be one of those!
  • Options
    Love the piccie helen
    Still say you are a runner
  • Options
    Thank you Benz :-)
  • Options
    Helen, he may have run 2 miles whereas you have run 6. Never assume. We all get passed when training but it doesn't matter. You are out there. You were in a recovery session he was in a speed session.

Its a bit like a driver in a turbocharged Volvo being passed by a Porsche. Both do the same speed and the Volvo is actually quicker off the mark. It depends what you are doing with it.
  • Options
    RB - 10 x 1K in 3:30 is pretty quick speedwork! - & the length of the intervals would be better suited to 5K or 10K racing in my view.

Maybe consider longer intervals at a slower pace? Sub 3 hr pace is 6:50 per mile, which is slower than 4 mins per K. There are others on this forum who could probably advise more precisely on what sort of speed training would be useful for this distance.
  • Options
    Inspector Gadget or Steady Eddy(nice picture), Helen did you dye your hair this afternoon...?
    Anyway, I am planning to join a club soon...
    I tell you my story: the guy who started the club years ago and I see him all the time at the gym, had an injury for months now and doesn't run anymore. So he doesn't really know much about what's going on(typical). Then , they are the runners but everytime I go to the gym, they've aready gone home so I can't speak to them! The good news is one the runner (btw it's a very small club) work with my boyfriend so I've asked him to ask him question for me or at least to get his e-mail. I know him but that's well so I don't really want to ring him or anything. Anyway, this cute guy said there is 1 girl who look after the club but she' gone in holiday.So he said that he will give her my e-mail when she comes back and she will contact me.
    Then maybe I will find one night to run with them.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Well done Steaddy Eddy for going to the club, are you going back again? how much was it?
    Next tuesday will do my speedwork outside so I will be able to push myself further...
    and just see how it goes. Does it have to be flat by the way or it doesn't matter?
  • Options
    First three visits are free, thereafter its £16 to join or a £1 a visit.

I will go back on Tuesday this week, its tho only way I will do any proper speed work. They were very organised.
  • Options
    Hi Big Tim,
    i don't know where you are so i post here.Ok it's my week2 speedwork on the other thread.

I did it yesterday morning(speed session) and tonight my calves are aching, went to the gym could hardly stretch them and i feel it's no way i could run today.
    Is it "normal"?also they are VERY tense?

Anyway hope you're ok too busy running!

Steady Eddy, it looks like you've got a pink bike?!
  • Options
    Thats the blood spilled on my blue paintwork ("hard as nailz" Dawes say and it is, unlike me).

After a slight mishap am now off running for a few weeks.

Will return to the local club though. Handy knowing a couple of people before I went. It is a small world isn't it)