Options

Week starting Mon 30/12/02

It might be best if we have a long run thread for each new week, as the other one is getting comfusing as to who's done what when.

So I'll be first seeing as I've fitted mine in early this week, due to still being off work! LUCKY ME!

So today I did 18 miles @ marathon pace in not very kind conditions. Mind the rain held off most of the time and it wasn't until the final 5 miles that I was running against the wind. Could have done without it then though as I was working quite hard at this stage. Anyway, very pleased with this run in 2.21.31

Not doing a long run next week as I'm racing.

Comments

• Options
    hilly

if you are already doing 18 miles at marathon pace have you thought about upping your target?

I personally only ever run 1 or 2 long runs at marathon pace. The rest tend to be 15 secs to a minute slower
  • Options
    Long run was done on Tuesday
    at present doing it by tme rather than miles as I have no real measured route.
    So this week was 59 mins and it was freezing cold. Assuming I ran approx 6 miles.
  • Options
    I'm doing it Sunday. It'll be twice round Richmond Park, which is about 14.5 miles, but then I want to add on an extra bit to take it up to 18.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    rmc, I'm a bit of long run queen even when not marathon training.

I try to run 15-16 miles twice a month when not marathon training so it doesn't feel hard to up by 2 miles. Saying that today's run I've just measured to be 19.4 miles, which even accounting for roundabouts means I ran closer to 19 than 18.5 which is what I thought the distance was.

This was my first run at potential marathon pace, I don't think I could run this pace every long run! So I will play it my ear, for the next few weeks. I also don't think I could have run any faster on this particular route for the distance, so I'm quite happy to be where I am at this stage and just try to stay injury free as the miles creep up and it gets tougher!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck Iain for Sunday's run. I normally do mine on Sunday, just taking advantage to still being off work and not suffering work tireness!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    that should be work tiredness!
  • Options
    Hilly, I notice you change your picture every now and again.Is the latest somewhere on Portland me wonders? - do you take a camera with you on your long runs sometimes?
    I need to work out how to put a picture on my details. Though probably would only put something stupid on to maintain my mystery!
    Doing 18miles plus already sounds excellent and that is mainly just yourself for company?.That requires great motivation and mental strength I would say!( Not saying your are actually mental of course).

Brian
  • Options
    Thanks Hilly! I count Sunday as the first day of the week as it gets the long run out of the way early, so putting it this week seems a bit weird!

Haven't done one for this week (my this week) as I've had a virus hanging around which is driving me nuts!

Your time sounds excellent - reckon you'll smash 3:30 if you can do 19.4 in 2:21!

interesting to hear about running 15 or so every other weekend - that was my plan over the summer but I decided to try to rest my various niggles (plus I got lazy). Worst bit is I've still got the niggles.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Just a tad Brian!

Yes that's Portland and no I don't take my camera on runs, but I like to walk and take photo's. My hubby bought me a digital one for my birthday so I'm learning how to use it properly.

Ask some of the guys about uploading pictures, there's a few experts on here!
  • Options
    I've congratulated you on the Training thread Hilly, but agree with others, maybe you should up your target?
    I did my long run Monday, due to everything being out of synch over xmas: 13 miles in 1.57, haven't tried doing marathon paced long runs yet, but I am trying to do what's been suggested on here and do the second half faster than the first (I use my HRM for this).
    Next one I aim for time on my feet: 2.5 hrs or so.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Laura-I notice from the races thread you are doing a 23 mile x-country race this month, now that's tough! Best of luck, let us know how you get on. By the way your training is going excellent.

Not sure if I'm ready to up my target. Keep training and see what develops over the next few months.
  • Options
    Hey geezer, you doing London too?
  • Options
    I do my long runs on a Sunday, last week was 11 miles. Will do 12 this weekend. I am a bit of an amateur compared to the rest of you! to be honest I dont worry too much about my times, I have only been running just about 16 months but know i am on target for a faster time than my first FLM last year. I really enjoy the long runs, time away from the kids etc!! Got rather caught out by flood water this weekend ,ended up paddling my way through in places
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Always the diplomat geezer! Happy running :)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Billie I too like to do the long runs. For me it's a time to just feel free and enjoy my surroundings.
  • Options
    Hi hilly

just re reading the thread and noticed that you did approx 19 miles in 2.21.31

In training for last years FLM my fastest 20 mile run was 2:23 and I ran 3:04 in the actual race. May give you something to think about? Though naturally you should pick a target that you are happy with.

Personally I think you will ace sub 3:30 but I'm not sure you are quite there yet to do 3:15

My sister does a lot of running (far more than me) She always runs her long runs massively slower than race pace taking about 2:45 to 3hr to do 20 miles but always does sub 3:15 in FLM
  • Options
    Good idea for a weekly long run thread, Hilly :)

Well, I've done mine this week. I ran about 15-16 miles on Wednesday with the Club to celebrate NYD. It was quite hard work, and I did something terribly painful to my leg. Happily, though, it seems to be settling now.

I generally do my long runs on Sunday, but I think I may just do an hour or so this Sunday, as I don't want to ask for trouble.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    rmc, I agree with you that 3.15 will be a bit too high a target this year. I think my target is anything between 3.20-3.30.

Up until this year I've always done my long runs at slower than marathon pace with shorter 'long' runs of upto 15 miles at marathon pace, which last year was 8 min miles. My training went well last year and everything suggested that 3.30 shouldn't be too difficult a target, but it's on the day that counts and for me it didn't happen. I suppose we're all different and what works for one doesn't for another.

Your sister must have quite a bit of talent. With her times she must easily get championship places.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Wee Piglet,
    hope the leg is feeling better! I too will only run for 1-1hr 15 on Sunday. I've not been off road for over a week so will do a bit of x-country.

Next week is my easy week, so to speak, with a race on the Sunday, so no long run.
  • Options
    You guys are keen! It,s another month before I'm up to 18 miles.
  • Options
    Checked my log for last year and this time a year ago I was up to about 16 Scalded Cat. I was up to 18 and then a bug over Crimbo held me back a bit.

I wouldn't panic - 18 miles by the start of Feb still gives you time for lots of 20+ runs. What time are you hoping for?

• Options
    Very impressive Hilly. You are clearly a more knowledgeable and talented runner than me, but...........running 19.4 miles at that pace at the beginning of January has got sub 3:10 written all over it to my way of thinking. Anyway good luck to you.
  • Options
    Iain:
    I did about 3.37 last year but I've had to take a lot of time off running since then because of injuries, so at the moment I'm just trying to get round. Ask me again in about six weeks.
  • Options
    Scalded:

Best of luck with it - I know what you mean with injuries, my training's been start/stop all year. Going well now, so fingers crossed.

You can only do what your body will let you do :-)
  • Options
    Good idea for the weekly thread, hilly. I too think you could go a bit quicker on the day with your preparation. Like Scalded Cat I won't be up around 18miles until Feb.

I did my long run this morning, 10 miles pretty slowly c/o snow and ice. I felt very wary of falling as my fingers are still broken and pinned from my fall 3 weeks ago. I can't imagine the hospital would have been very pleased if I'd fallen on them again. Pleased with the run though which was at marathon pace. All my runs are slow at present because of this busted hand. Will start speedwork again in Feb.

Anyone doing the RW 20 miler in March?
  • Options
    Would love to LM but Brum is a long way to go! I may do the Worthing 20, but it's only 3 weeks before FLM which is a bit close.

BTW - I like the weekly long run idea too - nice one Hilly :-)
  • Options
    Just back from about 18 miles round a rather soggy Richmond Park. Not too sure about my time, I did the brilliant trick of stopping my watch by accident. It wasn't fast though.

My legs were fine, but generally I felt absolutely awful - really sluggish after about 9 miles, and it just got worse, until I was stopping to recover. I did 18 a couple of weeks ago and while it was a bit tiring, I ended it feeling OK.

Maybe I haven't shaken this virus properly yet?

I also think I need to do some speed sessions - I've been concentrating on upping the mileage after my long summer lay off, but my times are about 4 minutes slower per laps of the park compared to last year, which is disappointing but also suggests I'm actually working harder to maintain my target 8 min/mile pace.
  • Options
    Just back from 16 miles. Run in lovely frosty sunny conditions (my favourite for a long run). Best long run so far in terms of time and how I felt during the run. Maybe the training is now starting to give me some pay back!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Some good running going on here guys.

Iain, as you said maybe your body is stll fighting off the last of your virus. Better runs to come I'm sure!