Options

I'm dead jealous!

Hi all you London Mrathon types. I'm really jealous listening to you doing your training as I didn't get in this year. I did my first marathon in New York in November and I have got the bug. Is anyone doing the Edinburgh Marathon in June as I got into that one but I think I'm going to be running it on my own! I don't know of another soul doing it!!!!Could this be the first win for Martine in a time of 5 hours????

Comments

• Options
    Martine, your not alone in the Edinburgh marathon (or the jealous thing) I suffered the same fate. There was an earlier thread with a number of people saying they were accepted.

Look at the bright side, just think we don't have to start our training until next March when hopefully the weather is better.
  • Options
    Damn! Looks like I'll be last again! Actually I hope loads of people enter because it is such a great city and it might feel a little empty if the entry is a little low!
  • Options
    Tell me how did the marathon go?
    I am doing the FLM Sorry but never done one before and I would like you to pass on any useful tips particularly regarding painful bits and toilet stops!
    Good luck for Edinburgh,training in warmer weather definately better - I am jealous about this!
  • Options
    Debs - there are portaloos en route - but big queues. The men use nearby walls, the women queue. Loos are every few miles and well signposted.

Painful bits? Depends on how well trained you are, but most likely the last few miles. It's practically impossible to stop unless you're injured - do you really want to give up having done hundreds of miles of training and run 20 miles? The crowds are fantastic, the other runners are very supportive, and it's a totally brilliant day! The climb up the little ramp to have your chip taken off your shoe is painful (seriously!)

Congrats on New York Martine - if you keep up a fair level of training over the next coupel of months the build up to Edinburgh will be easier.
  • Options
    New York was the hardest thing I've ever done Debs but it was probably not helped by the fact that I was ill on the day and it is the most stupid thing to run a marathon feling bad. Anyway I wasn't going to travel 3000 miles and fail on the las 26 so it took me all day but I did it. Just rememer that on your first one, don't bother one littl ejot about time, just have fun and it certainly is great crossing the finish line - not to mention getting a seat! I'm sure Iain will concur! I am still doing lots of training in the cold Ian, so I feel a bit of empathy with you all, even though I won't be there in April!
  • Options
    I totally agree Martine - the feeling crossing the line was one of the most intense I've ever had in my life! You put yourself through such a lot to get there, and finally it's all worth it!

I was ill on the day when I did FLM, had a crap day timewise, but still an experience I wouldn't miss for the world. If you focus on time too much it'll get to you - as Martine says, just enjoy!