Options

Staying hydrated on the long run

Happy New Year and good running everyone.

I am training for the big one and have done a couple of long,long runs (between 18-21 miles).For me this involves being out for around 21/2 to 3 hours.
My question is how much should I be drinking or eating.I read somewhere that you should drink around 250-500 ml before and then 100-150ml every 20 minutes.This seems a heck of a lot to me,I think I'd be spending most of my time trying to find somewhere to stop and pee!

What do other people do?I also take a carb/protein bar or a banana with me,does this seem about right or should I eat more?

Ian

Comments

• Options
    hi ian,

when i do my long runs 15-20 miles(3hours), i take 500mls of isotonic sports drink with me and a energy bar. this has always been suffice for me. i am doing the FLM in april and will be experimenting with the energy gels on the market in the near future. just make sure you drink at regular intervals and dont hit the dreaded wall
  • Options
    Hi Ian
    This has been a problem for me also, in the early days my wife cycled next to me with water bottles, she soon got fed up with this. My routine at present is an isotonic drink half an hour before I leave,I then carry a water bottle with 500mls of water and about 5 high five gel bars. It says on the wrapper to mix with water, however the running shop where I bought them sugested taking them neat. I have tried this and for me they give me a good kick. Then when I get home I have another isotonic drink. I may add that I do not have all the gel bars on a run but they are there if I need them or if I decide to extend my run.
    Hope this helps and all the best for the flm this will be my third trying for 3hrs 45 mins.
  • Options
    Related to this, I have been wondering when one actually starts ingesting energy gels - do you do it when feeling tired, or at particular milestones, or on a just-in-case basis?
    I'm a new runner, and also doing FLM (though nothing like 3hrs 45, I think FBS - more like 5) - not yet ready for three hour runs, but it would be nice to plan.
    MB
  • Options
    I typically drink about 2 litres over a 2hr period before going out. ie run is at 10am so get up at 8am drink 500ml of water straight away then spend the next 2hrs milling round drinking - normally include 500ml of isotonic sports drink within the 2 litres. I then take 500ml of isotonic sports drink with me on the run along with some jelly babies. This seems to do me ok. On a 2 hr run I aim to take on some fluid everyone 30 mins or so

I've found for me it is more important taking on lots of fluid before setting out rather than drinking lots on the actual run.

Mighty Bunzoola - don't wait until you are tired to take your bars - try and schedule them out evenly over the duration of your run.

Downside is that I have to stop every now and then for pee breaks.
  • Options
    I take a quid with me and stop at a corner shop and buy a Ribena, about an hour and a half into my long runs. De-hydration is a bigger problem when the weather is hot. I find that as long as I drink enough beforehand, it isn't much of an issue at this time of year.
  • Options
    Ian- I bought a belt with a double bottle carrier- each hol 750ml-

Did 2h 15 mins this week and seemed about enough water. I usually take one of water and one of lucosade sport but had just water this week as not been shopping ! Seemd to work well. I stopped at 12 miles and bought 2 bags of jelly tots to boost me around the latter miles- seemed just the job! ( good excuse to eat sweets).
    I use to head out with one bottle and buy some water or lucosade sport from garage on route. But the double belt is very very comfortable and now no need.
  • Options
    This is probably not the right thread but since rmc mentioned pee breaks I'd like some advice from any ladies out there. How do you manage on long runs - we can't just nip behind a tree like the men! and what about the FLM (my first marathon!), I can't imagine going for 5 hours without a visit - it's going to take me long enough as it is, it'd be a shame to lose any more time popping off to the loo!

Rach
  • Options
    Rachel - there are plenty of portaloos on the course but also long queues, so If you can, during your long runs, try to train yourself to hold it!
  • Options
    Sounds like good advice. I try to avoid portaloos where ever possible - nasty places!

Rach
  • Options
    Rachel, speaking as someone who used the rose garden at the Champs Elysees to relieve herself at the Paris marathon last year, can I just say, the normal rules of modesty don't apply during a marathon. You will see more public urination on the day than you believed possible (something else to look forward too). Just make sure you have some loo roll tucked into your shorts.
    And when I'm on long runs I frequently nip behind bushes etc if necessary (I live in the country so this is easy!) Failing that, plan your long runs so you go past public loos or your own house at some point.

On the hydration question, it's worth practising drinking more than you might think you need. It only takes a small amount of dehydration to affect your running performance, and sometimes the tiredness you feel on long runs is partly due to lack of water/energy drink.
  • Options
    During races I've often drink too much and this hits me much worse than drinking too little. So I do recommend working out what you want to drink in advance.

I've a camelback and that's great for long summer training runs in the heat - and good for carrying emergency gear in this weather.
  • Options
    Reading this thread with interest, as I'm planning my first marathon at Taunton this year (didn't get into FLM).

So far this year I've done two long runs over two hours & haven't found the need to carry drink, energy bars, etc. - although I do drink about half a pint of water before going out.

I'm not over-thirsty on returning - just two glasses of water & off for a shower.

Am I doing myself any harm? Should I take drink with me?

Obviously I plan to when the weather warms up!
  • Options
    Hi people
    in an answear to the mighty Bunzoola"s question when to take your energy bar I was told if you wait till you need it it was to late. I run for six to eight miles then take one neat with water, then one every two to three miles therafter it works for me but you may need to experiment.
    Regards
    FBS
  • Options
    It must work as my wife complains that I am allways hyperactive after a long run.
  • Options
    i take about 750ml of vimto on my long runs and about 1500ml for a marathon in a hydration pack, in which also go my inhaler, my md player and some food. i'm kind of lucky in that i can eat when i run...anything up to chocolate spread and jam sandwiches i'm afraid....just chew it up well ;) i've made extra long zip tails for my bag so i can get at stuff without taking it off or stopping.
    as for the loo, well just be shameless...i don't even think there's much point wasting time queueing for a portaloo when the side of the road will do fine....no one will say anything.....my music's too loud ;)
    being a girl is no problem either, i daresay i'm not the only one to have perfected the art of the standing up, out the side of the running shorts pee (sorry if i'm being disgusting!)
  • Options
    Hi Hubcap where did you get your double belt from??
  • Options
    I got myself one of the Nikewater back-pack things (from Niketown for the London readers) that has a 'straw' extending from the water bag withing the back-pack which sits on the shoulder.

It is very comfortable to wear and easy to use too. I tend to put about 600-700ml of diluted lucozade sport, made up from the powder except I put two scoops in for every 500ml rather than the recommended three. This seems to provide a decent balance of hydration and carbohydrate for my needs.

The bag is also big enough to fit in keys, cd player etc and the all important wine gums that see me through the long runs.

Works for me!