Options

Ezcema

Has anyone ever suffered from Ezcema of the foot with all the resulting blisters?

I have just been diagnosed with this and although not painful to walk or run on I am not sure if I should continue my training until it has cleared up.

I don't want to take too much time off as I am supposedly training for the FLM.

Sore Blisters Web Site

Comments

• Options
    St David
    There is a form of foot eczema called Podopompholyx which causes sore, fluid-filled blisters. Quite often they appear on the instep (mine do), but they can crop up anywhere. There is some dispute about the cause, it's quite common in people who exercise a lot. Some docs call it "Trainer feet".
    There are some pictures and some advice about treatment at:
    this link

If very sore, I puncture the blisters with a clean needle, slap on the emolients and go for a run!

Note, there was one particular model of running shoe that was notorious for producing this instep blisters.

Good luck with the training
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I have had. Not very prety to look at but after applying the steroid cream prescribed by my doctor things are on the up.

Thanks again

David
  • Options
    Wonder if there's room to challenge the accepted medical teaching on pompholyx, Eamonn. It supposedly needs stuff like Dermovate to settle it, but when I had an episode (in my pre-running days) I just burst the blisters and got on with life. It healed up quickly. Wasn't half itchy, though!
  • Options
    Velociraptor, I tried with some success to clear it up with Talc when wearing shoes and when at home walking in bare feet. Apparently salt walter foot baths work ok. I just wanted to clear it up quicker to get on with my training.

I've seen your posts before are you in the medical proffesion or just incredibly well read?
  • Options
    Are you really a saint, David?

On here, I'm a runner, and not a particularly talented one. But I'm also a GP and sometimes my job overflows on to the forums.

If I had eczema on my feet and was trying to train, I'd be putting steroid cream on it too! They do work well, but you need a fairly strong one to penetrate the tough skin on the soles of your feet.
  • Options
    I am a Saint from the Hampshire coastline living in Wales now. A very happy Saint after beating Spurs 4-0 in the cup.

Err actually I'm a computer/internet/website/dogsbody type person.

Sore Blisters!

• Options
    V-rap
    just checked Mentor and Prodigy which say topical steroids. Like you I find that many cases will clear up without. The resources also suggest Potassium Permanganate! When in doubt paint it purple.
    eamonn
  • Options
    Great site, David. Well done.

Eamonn, I thought my practice partner was being either eccentric or punitive when he gave someone potassium permanganate soaks for podopompholyx. He uses the same stuff for athlete's foot and juvenile plantar dermatosis, so maybe he's just afflicted with the national squeamishness about feet and can only cope when they're purple.
  • Options
    My father in law always swears by Iodine. No matter what the injury Iodine always works. However this was for treating the sheep on his farm.

Not much of a treat if you ask me!
  • Options
    my girlfriend (as a student)and her friend once painted the whole patient purple, 'cause they weren't sure what to do with the stuff