Options

my first time!

woke up 630am yesterday - day-off but knew I had to go to Leeds to catch up with some college stuff, so had the bright idea to jump out of bed and go straight away to avoid all the back-to-work traffic and get an early start

went back and forth between car and front door several times - keys, wallet, etc b4 noticing I was wearing black suede loafers instead of trainers
"**** it" I thought I'm not going back again I'm only going to be on computer there anyway

Anyway get there nice and early - had breakfast, went to library and everything - no real funny looks yet as lots of people live on campus and presumably roll out of bed to go to library in their sports gear and even perhaps ..black slippers

9.30 still no sign of anyone to unlock computer room - but "I think you're man's coming in at 10" someone says

Stuck for something to do for half an hour I remember there's a running shop not too far up the road so decide to go and find out where it is, and have a look from the outside at least

anyway turns out the running shop is like only 50 yards up the road, so I decide I might as well have a look in

-Hello what can I do for you?, says nice girl in shop

-I'd like to buy some proper running shoes please. Do you have any special equipment or anything to help choose right ones?

-Well we can normally get a good idea by getting you to run up and down outside, says she, tailing off somewhat with puzzled expression as she spots my hush puppies

-Er I wasn't expecting to come here today otherwise I'd have fetched my trainers (like would you expect to go anywhere dressed like that?)

-Nevermind its icy outside anyway - what do you normally run in?

- er Nike Air Max or Nike Cortez

- mmm? not really sure about them? what distance do?

- Marathons! I'm hoping to do Connemara and London!

By now I'm sure she's thinking to herself "have they reopened that Psychiatric hospital up the road?" but remains professional and encouraging

... carries on like this, I feel obliged to buy new pair of socks so I can try on some new shoes, and leave few minutes later with oversize but comfy NB M879s -
(neutral shoe cos I run on the outside of my feet?) - still wearing sweatshirt, shorts and black shoes but now also with addition of white sox!

So dont be intimidated folk's its easy, and thanks for Up and Runnining for not calling the Police immediately.

Comments