Options

Hip help needed guys - please !

For months I have been having buttock pain which I have finally got to grips with after seeing a physio

But today after running 5 miles on the treadmill (only do 1 session a week other 5 on roads) I noticed a pain in the hip. To describe : if you sit with your leg outstended (left in my case)toes pointing up to 12 O'Clock and rotate my whole leg so the toes point to 3 O'Clock the hip muscle that seems to help rotate the leg becomes tender and sore, this happened earlier today and pain is wearing off now

Anyone got any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    If you do this movement against resistance and it's sore it suggests damage to the medial rotators (eg glute minimus). If it's sore when stretched in this position it suggests damage to the lateral rotators (posterior glute medius, piriformis or others). It could be a lot of other things such as nerve tethering too. The best thing to do is just rest it and see how it recovers. If it doesn't go back to your physio!
  • Options
    Gary - could you clarify about the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock thing. Is 12 when the feet are at right angles to the leg? Also id 3 from your viewpoint - i.e. pointing towards the other leg or outwards?
  • Options
    Sorry - that should say "is 3"> I think I figures it out from Mowgli's answer and my anatomy book anyhow! It's towards the other leg.

Whereabouts on the hip is the pain, Gary?