Options

Sprained wrist

Had spectacular fall on the ice whilst running (yes I know.........foolish to run on ice), but legs are feeling so good would like to continue running. What I need to know is exactly how much do you need your wrists to run. Is quite a mild sprain......can still type!

Cheers Della

Comments

• Options
    Doc's answer:

I guess it could be uncomforable for your wrist, but it's unlikely to cause any more damage. In all honesty, it would probably be a good idea to give the wrist some extra support, just to prevent the joint being "jumped around" too much. The alternative would be to take some anti-inflammatories before the run - something I generally don't recommend because all it's doing is masking the pain, but, as I said, it's not going to get any worse.

If you leave the wrist unsupported, you may find you are more comfortable clenching your fist, and the muscles of the arm will become more tense, which will probably affect your running style. (Although as a beginner, I'm not sure about that point - anyone help out there?)
  • Options
    ....assuming youve definately not broken anything I'd agree its ok to run - again maybe with some additional support eg bandage/ sports support

as for running style i'd keep your arms close to your body with elbows flexed at right angles, and fimgers loosely-cupped so as to minimise tension on forearm muscles

imagine youve got a butterfly fluttering its wings in you're cupped hand - not so tight as to restrict it but not so loose that it can fly away
  • Options
    The only problem that I could foresee is not being able to break your fall if you slip again, and don't think that you'd be able to break you fall on your shoulder instead that hurts even more.

Mercury bringing you broken limbs and injuries since '83
  • Options
    I had a 'cross tendon transfer' operation aty the begining of the year which involved moving a tendon from index finger to the thumb ( apparently theres a couple of spare ones on each finger ! - That was handy !!). After the pain from the operation wore off, I ran in a light splint without any problems - until it came to showering !!
    Good luck
  • Options
    Thankyou for all the gruesome stories yuk graeme!! The wrist is actually feeling a great deal better than this morning although I expect it will be stiff and even blacker by tomorrow. I am now going to go search out the strapping!

Thanks guys!

Della