Options

Short Stuff

Comments

• Options
    I bet she'll be finishing soon!

Hi Hattie. Lovely post. Shame about your neighbour, but at least he was honest with you and told you, if you were giving off signals. I hope you have a great friendship. It's good that your dog has let him take him out too.

Good training too, well done. Enjoy your swim tonight.

Wot Stump says about the saddle. They are usually big padded things, which sound nice, but you're better off with a slimmer one, but I guess you're stuck with it. You will get used to it. 45 minutes is loads to do, well done.
  • Options

Hey shortcakes image  

Welcome home Stump, i like your style, throw yourself into a plan!

Squish, dunno how many times seen IM finsih but it still makes me fill up, how could we ever get bored with it, we're well proud!

Hattie, youer neighbour sounds delightful, as you say its wonderful that Dillon has extra walks and they like each other so much, looks like youve got yourself a jolly good freind there

TT, your race sounds great, well done image 

I told you Dublin was today not on sunday... image

My running has been pretty crappy of late, not really been enjoying it, so i've only been doing it when i actually could be bothered, did nowt over weekend, Roger took me out on friday had lovely night, sat we just chilled out and sunday i didnt even get dressed image Roger did fabulous roast pork and i mooched around in dressing gown drinknig bubbly

Ran in this morning, felt like it's starting to work again if you know what i mean?

Azac, whatya up to todsay hen>?

oh seeing your all talking about plans, well you know how i dont like plans but here's a sketchy one

nothing for rest of yr racewise

1st jan -  portobello promenade

jan sometime - Brass Monkeys 1/2

feb- Draycote utlra

mar - Dumfries Marathon

april - Lochaber Marathon

may - Edinburgh Marathon

if i get into London i guess that'll fit in somewhere

i'll start long runs at end of November again....

• Options
    Santa - good plan! Mine goes like:

11 Nov - Sodbury Slog
    February - Draycote Ultra
    May - Stratford half mara
    June - Bala Middle Distance
    June - Ironman Frog

hmmmm... not much there really. I need to do Snowdonia again one year as I owe it. Maybe I'll do it next year. I've said I'm only doing one more Ironman anyway, then I'll do more maras.

I think you were wise having a rest Santa. If you stop enjoying it, that's the time to ease back. and maybe have a bit of a break. I'm enjoying my running at the moment, except I couldn't do any last week because of being poorly. Back to it, hopefully, this week.

I wonder if Mouse has finished yet? <wrings hands>
  • Options

Looks like Mouse has finished!

I'm not posting a time. Leave that for the triumphant Mouse!

• Options

Eee-up wee peeps!

I've just been to the swimming pool!!! First time since before the summer. Just took a notion for it and thought 'bugger it, I'll go for a swim'. Luckily I had a major hair removal sesh at the weekend - this time yesterday I looked like Sasquatch having a bad hair day image.

Sorry Stump, was that too much information?image

I did 10 crawl and ten breast stroke which is a total cop out but my wee shoulders were gubbed after two lengths. 

I might swap the weights for the pool for a while - I'm sure it's better for my S-shaped spinal column. I did a load of stretching at the weekend too (Stump take note) and today I feel great.

Watch this space - before crimble I'm gonna be a lean mean runnin' machine!!

Hattie - your neighbour sounds lovely. Gay friends are great - you can have conversations of all sorts without worrying about them trying to get in yer knick-knacks.

Wonder how Mouse got on? 

• Options
    ....patiently waiting image.....have found Dublin results, but don't know Mouseys *real* name..image 
  • Options
    Ohhhh Tia, I must go look. I know her name! <rushes off>
  • Options

Wahaaaay! Mousey came in just under 5.30!!

Off for a guiness and a shag now apparantly!image

• Options

Well done Mouse!

You deserve the shag, take it easy on the guiness tho image

• Options
    I'm not sure what sea birds have to do with celebrating....image
  • Options

Weyheeeey.... well done Mouse! imageimageimageimageimage Fantastic! Who's she shagging then?

Shorties are proud of you Mousey! Brilliant. Looking forward to the report (of the race, not the shag!)image

• Options

Az - well done on the swimming. LOL at the hair removal. That's why I sometimes wear tri shorts in the pool image You already are a lean mean running machine!

I turbo'd.

• Options

Swim today followed by a bit of turbo tonite

Yesterdays run was a bit spicy and my avg hr hit 164 which is not good. I need to try and avoid that.

Funny after a full week off I felt poor on the run. I normally clock the same course about 10bpm lower. That said I was going about 30s per mile quicker.

I need to goooo slooooow though.

• Options
    Morning!! Slow down Stump!!! I try and run around 135-140 on my 'training runs'. Really slow.

I wonder how Mouse is? I wonder when we'll get a report? <waits patiently>

I should be running 9 tonight, but I might run 7 and see how I go. I've got a stupid dry tickly cough now image
  • Options

I know I need to slow down but it feels so weird. I'll bimble along at 9.20 pace and all this quiet then I somehow get carried away and I'm doing 8.20 or quicker. It's never a really hard run but yesterday my mile splits started at 9.21 and went downhill. My last mile was 8.01.

I stretched out, a first for me, but am feeling it today. So I need to get the runs in but slower or I'll not get them all in.

Maybe if I went longer less often rather than trying to fit the runs into the easy lunch slot?

• Options
    I found it really hard to slow my runs down, and was having to look at my HRM every couple of minutes otherwise I got carried away, the speed crept up and so did my HR! I was barely breathing on my long slow runs, and it took me forever!

Tonight I will be watching it constantly, I think it's still a tad high going by what my turbo session was last night, so I need to be careful tonight - that's if I can get the bliddy thing to work!
  • Options

Ho ho ho.  To put things into proprtion for you... 

My slow runs are at 70%WHR of 151, and at that effort my speed is between 18.00 and 26.00. 

It's quicker to walk, but that gives me HR of 62, so no exercise value there... 

• Options

Helegant - yes the speed is different but can you hold the HR?

I can whup Santababy over the 10k no problem but our mara times are the same. I need to work on my base endurance.

• Options

Oi Mouse!

Put him down and get your report in !

• Options

Stump.  I can hold the heartrate for 70 minutes at present - working up to longer and hoping the speed will come with it.

• Options

Helegant - that's really good. Mine starts to drift almost straight away.

Speed can be a bit of a funny thing. It's no good doing your first 10 miles at 7min pace if you're reduced to walking a few miles later. Good pacing is important.

If you can hold 70%WHR for 70 mins then the speed will come.

Are you looking at any particular distance?

• Options

Afternoon shortiesimage

I tried 'pure base training' at one point but got soooo frustrated at running so slow as my heartrate would shoot up quite easily, I then spent 4-5 months mainly running off road, which was harder and couldn't be paced as such due to terrain and did off road races. Now I have gone back to road running, my heartrate has improved dramatically, all those long slower miles(including off road mara) earlier in the year seem to have really bulit my endurance up. I can now run a 9m/m at a heartrate I previously struggled to maintain when running 10m/m, especially if there was a 'bump' in the way and hills sent HR waaaay up.

I think you have to try differnt things and see what works for you and you enjoy doing.

• Options

Hi lovely short cakes

Just reporting in.

As you know I squeezed in at just under 5hrs 30.  I feel very, very tired today and we're just killing a few mins in an internet cafe.  A bit too tired for a full race report but I made it around.

*dances around the thread in a slow, creaky fashion*

I started too fast - lots to learn.  First half split was roughly 2.35 (from memory) making the second half split the better part of 3hrs.  Hmmm.... 

• Options

You're not getting off that lightly

When you get back I want a mile by mile breakdown!

Well done image

• Options
    Yay Mouse! Fantastic. Have the next few days resting and relishing. You did well, we're proud of you. Looking forward to the report.
  • Options

Afternoon shorts!

Got my new training plan in. Weird.

We made it clear that we wanted to up the mileage to prepare the Santa Pola half in January and perhaps do a slow half as a training run in December.

But the longest we have to run is 10km! And we're always running at the same speed - between 5:16 and 5:25/km irrespective of whether we're doing 5k or 10k.

Plus every week 6 x 1000m at 4:28/km in week 1 coming down to 4:18/km in week 6.

This might make me look like Speedy Gonzalez on the track but will it prepare me for the big 21?!?!?

--------FOR STUMP------- (I know you're into this stuff)

Wk 1

6x1k

Wk 2

6x1k

Wk 3

6x1k

Wk 4

Wk 5

6x1k

Wk 6

6x1k 

• Options

Ouch!

I'll forgive you all for not reading that awful looking post - except for Stump. What's your opinion?

Mousey! How was the er.... guiness? 

• Options

So your trianing for a 21km race and you never break 10k dist wise.....

mmmm

Seems a bit light on the long slow stuff to me.

Do you have access to a HRM?

On your long run of the week try and keep your speed dead constant and see what happens to your HR.

If your HR drifts up as you go then you may want to include some longer, slow, endurance stuff.

I did my first half off the back of a 10 miler and I suffered in the last couple of K. I'm heavier and not as well conditioned but I can't see what is going to generate your endurance. I'm the king of the red line but a half is a lot longer than a 10. I've averaged 92% max on a half but my speed over the last 3k was dire.

Do you have a race pace goal?

• Options

Well, the plan has always been to beat 1:40 in Torrevieja at the end of February.

I was out for 8k with my sick hubby on Sunday and we were going really slowly - say about 5:40/km(off road). My HR was hanging around 146 but then crept up to about 156 towards the end. But it felt like we were barely moving! If I have to keep it below 140 I'll die!!!

We're doing 6x1k tonight at the track. I'll take a pen and a bit of paper and start recording HR. You'll be sorry you ever answered Stump!!