Options

when to buy new running shoes?

As I'm now in training for my first FLM and my mileage will increase (barring injury) I am conscious that my running shoes are likely to be near worn out by the time April 13 comes. I obviously don't want to do the FLM in completely brand new ones, so how much time/distance in advance should I invest in some new ones that will be:
a) broken in and
b) ready for the task?
Bearing in mind I'm likely to stick with my current model which I like.

Comments

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    It's always a good idea to have more than one pair on the go at any one time and also to use different models (this is to give your feet/lower legs a bit of variety in foot strike)

Personally I try to keep 4 pairs on the go: two for routine training (2070s & Saucony (can't remember model), one for off road (Asics, again can't remember which) and a lightwieght pair for racing (10k and under). Anything above 10K I'd jut wear the 2070s.

Whatever you do though don't do what someone at our running club did this week i.e. buy a new pair and immediately bin the old pair. Within 2 miles she's got blisters which stopped her running (and no other shoes)
  • Options
    I personally but new shoes about one month before the marathon- and do at least one really long run in them to get used to them- proabably 6-8 weeks would be even better. When buy new shoes write down date you got them inside the shoe and then you will always know- can work out mileage/etc.. ALso any decent shop should look at old shoes and advise you.
    In summary i reckon anywhere from 4-8 weeks before should do.
  • Options
    Last year I ran about 100 miles in new shoes before the race. Still new enough to get the benefits of cushioning etc yet broken in enough to know that I wouldn't suffer from blisters