Options

Is anyone bigger

Just interested to see if I am an average recreational runner as i am a bit worried about my weight.
At present i am 14st 7lbs and 5ft 8in tall.
By the time the flm gets here hope to have lost at least a stone. Running is hard at the moment due to the weight gain but will i am sure get better as time goes by.
Regards
interested FBS

Comments

• Options
    I was 14st9lb about 5 months ago, and 2 weeks before christmas I was down to 13st 2lb, that was a mixture of excercise in the gym and cutting out crappy foods. Within a short time you can feel the difference the weight loss makes to physical activity. I would not worry at all about your weight if you are training.
  • Options
    After Xmas (and a skiing hol) I'm blobbing in about 105kg - that's 16.5 stone for the imperial lot, and I'm 177cm tall (5'10"), so don't worry about weight - get out and run and watch the intake to lose weight. I hope to lose at least 10kg before the FLM by doing this. It gets easier with the miles and I'm doing halfs with no problem in less than 2 hrs.
  • Options
    I'm 6'2" and 18 stone-ish after the xmas excess. I was well over 22st when I started running 8 months ago and the difference in how I feel is incredible. I've done a HM in 2hrs 26m which was woeful and a 10K in 55mins which was better. I'm hoping to do FLM in 4.30 or less and at 17 stone or less.
  • Options
    OK Roger you take the prize - I thought I'd take the golden buscuit (what a pun)weighing in at just under 17 stone and 6ft.

Like you I've gone from 19.2 this time last year so well done matey, and keep up the good work !! :-)
  • Options
    Good on you guys!

I'm not big for my height at all... In fact some people would say I'm a bit skinny but you all seem to be running races in less time than me.

I don't believe that size has to have that much to do with fitness! If you are used to carrying more weight, when you lose some of it you'll be flying... Well, as far as I'm concerned you already are! You all sound fitter than me!

Keep it up! And if you have any tips I'd be very pleased to hear them.
  • Options
    Well done guys. I am one of the larger female population that runs or plods as the case may be. Have put on rather a lot lately so my runs are very slow but I know from past experience the weight will come down now that I am back into running. I can still plod round a half or full marathon and it surprises you how many of the 'slim' brigade you pass, Keep up the good work.
  • Options

Well, I'm about 5'11"-ish and was 14st 7lb when I started running again in October. I'm now down to 13st 12lb (having lost a few pounds over Christmas!) with my weight bobbing up and down...

I do want to lose at least another stone before FLM though.
  • Options
    Sounds like we have some right "porkers" out there!! It would be interesting to know if us heavyweights in the running fraternity are this big due lack of exercise, or due to some training regime in the past. I'm a retired prop forward so can never expect to be a lightweight, but I suppose having run around on a rugby pitch for nearly 30 years helps me run at a reasonable pace.
  • Options
    I am not overweight just big boned,well thats what my mum allways told me.
    My ideal weight acording to the doc is 10.5stone the last time i was that thin was twenty years ago just before I got married.(Good god I think Ive hit on the problem)
    I have allways cycled or ran to keep the weight down problem is if I stop it piles on.
    O well at least Ive got my looks.
  • Options

I'm the perfect weight.

It's just that I should be 6'4".

Boom boom.

• Options
    Fatbur fit, in my teens and early twentys I was a competive swimmer but gave it up for the married life and children some 30 years ago. Weight has gone up and down by 5 stone over the last 30 years until I am at an all time high. Have decided to run this years FLM for charity even though I suffered a DVT in November. Am really hoping that this will spur me on to lose some weight or I won't need a hoppo costume!!
  • Options
    I am 15 stone 5 lbs and 6 foot 1inch tall. I have just started up this running lark (since November) and my first 2 10k's were circa 53mins. I was going to post a thread questioning whether us "heavier" runners can post decent times as I am wondering whether I will ever get under 50 mins at this weight......anyone??

ps: in case you were wondering, yes it's all muscle!
  • Options
    12 stone, well almost
    % ft 2.5
    Clinically obese, and I managed a marathon
  • Options
    i am also underheight at 16st and6' did the last 2 londons at 4:45 and 4:34 hoping to be under 15st and under4hrs this yr,if only races were handicapped like horse racing and everyone carried the same weight
  • Options
    FGS
    are we related, must be as we have almost identical names, and we are both good looking.
  • Options
    I went up to 22.5st through a gradual decline in exercise and a gradual increase of bad food and drink. I've always been a big 'un but I can control my weight quite easily through regular and sustained exercise and watching what I eat - NOT DIETING. Swimming's normally done it for me in the past but I've always got bored of it and given up. One of the reasons I applied for FLM was to give me an incentive to maintain my running through the winter. It was a pleasure to go out in the summer, despite the 'hilarious' abuse of transit drivers, but I'm fairly sure I'd have given up by now if I didn't have the big prize to aim for. Also, as I have a Gold Bond place, being fat works to my advantage on fundraising. People are amazed that I'm attempting such a thing at my size and have been very generous.
    Sorry if I go on or sound evangelical but I've got so much out of running that I can't stop going on about it and my missus is getting a touch bored wth my constant spouting
  • Options
    RJ - people do think us large ones are fools for even thinking about doing a marathon. I've taken some stick from my old buddies at the rugby club - especially my front row mates who hardly run from scrum to scrum - but I've also had a lot of "great", "good luck" messages as well. Either they secretly admire what I'm doing or reckong I've gone gaga so are just pleasing me!

Jel - keep at it. I did Brighton 10k in 48:30 at over 16 stone, so there is hope as my previous best was over 50mins. My aim for the FLM is under 4hrs as my half times say I can do it, and I have charity bonuses riding on me breaking this time!
  • Options
    I think I'm about 11st 7 and 5ft 4 so am definitely too heavy for a girl. But when I did a 10 K in September there were skinny people struggling too! Hoorah!
    I always console myself that muscle weighs loads more than fat.. until the gym checks my fat ratio that is
  • Options
    hi everybody,

Can I quote you all next time i'm trying to convince somebody that exercise will improve their health?!! This thread would make a brilliant Health promotion advert!
  • Options
    Fitness and fatness are not as closely linked as you might think. I am not Kate Moss but I completed my first Marathon two months ago and I beat an awful lot of skinnies. I was surprised and very heartened at the start of the marathon to see absolutely ALL shapes, sizes and ages taking part so don't worry a jot!
  • Options
    Cheers for that fatbutfit, truly inspirational stuff. Good luck in the FLM mate.

Regards

Jel