Options

Hal Higdon v RW Schedule

I'm following the Hal Higdon novice schedule (aiming to do Shakespeare as my 1st marathon). I've been comparing it to the schedules in the latest RW and it seems to have
a) much less weekly mileage (compared to say the sub 4:30 schedule)
b) no speedwork

I'm now worried that I'm not doing enough and should be training faster and longer.

Can anyone who's followed HH before comment?

Cheers WiseOwl

Comments

• Options
    Hi Wise Owl,

I think you'll be fine with the HH novice schedule. As you probably noticed on his website, none of his schedules include speedwork until you get to Advanced.
    This will only be my 3rd marathon so I'm pretty much a beginner myself, but for my first last year I used the same as you as a guide to weekly mileage, and the long runs. I tried the RW schedule for 4-4.30 but couldn't manage the speedwork at anything like the stated times, and mostly felt unrecovered from the long runs. So I abandoned the speedwork and got around fine in just over 4 hrs.
    Reading around on this forum people do seem to have very different approaches; I wonder whether it depends on your background. If you're already used to doing a certain amount of speedwork it probably makes perfect sense to do some for your first marathon. In my case I'd never done any, and trying to do both was too much at the same time.
    Best of luck with the Shakespeare
  • Options
    That's odd - I was under the impression that the RW novice-type programmes had far less mileage than HH. I don't have the mag here so can't check.

Remember that the HH schedule is for novice runners and is pretty much a 'get-you-round' programme. If you're comparing with a sub-4:30 programme, it might be better to choose the HH Intermediate.

If you're new to running the HH Novice programme WILL work (I've done it twice). If you're a seasoned runner but novice marathoner, I'd say think about the HH Intermediate.

If you're accustomed to doing intervals, fartlek etc, just incorporate them, as he suggests if you read the small print.

Good luck.

Andy
  • Options
    I like the Hal Higdon schedules too because they are very flexible and can be adapted to suit the individual. In fact I don,t think that any schedules are cast in stone. If you think that you would benefit from some speedwork introduce some.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm very bad at doing speedword (not enough self discipline!!) so think I'll stick with HH though I might introduce a bit of tempo/fartlek. Hill running I get for free as I live on one!