60 seconds on avoiding injury

... and most importantly, what has worked for you? (I would have included cold baths and self-massage, for example, but you can only fit so much into a 60-second guide)

Sean

ps: thank you all for your additions to our 60-Second Beginners' Guide, which has turned into a popular read

Comments

• Don't get obsessed with increasing your speed in training. Do the miles in training, do the speed in races.
  • Spend the money and get properly-fitted running shoes.
  • Think a key point missed is to understand not to run "through" pain. or at least to understand what is tired, sore muscles and what is the start of an injury.

How many people who have suffered shin splints tried to keep running when they first got them for instance...nearly all of them. Result, another 3 weeks recovery rather than a couple of days rest.
  • Don't build-up the mileage too quickly...else bring on the shin splints.
  • Vaseline is your friend.
  • Push yourself a little but listen to your body.
  • Immodium can be your friend too. ( MMmm take note)
  • Warm up before you stretch. Stretching, or rather, attempting to stretch cold muscles may result in lots and lots of pain.

Also make sure you're stretching properly. Seek advice from others who may know if you're not sure (eg. when stretching calves, make sure the front knee doesn't go over your toe)
  • Oh! and learn when a niggle might not be a niggle anymore!

(jeez! Three sensible running related posts that may ACTUALLY help someone!)
  • Funny, I wasn't reading "Vaseline is your friend" as running related, but I see the connection now.
  • I've lost count of thge number of times I've said this

but

Do not go running if you are feeling ill - even if its "just a cold".

All that above the neck / below the neck stuff - its all bollox.

Just dont....

• I agree FR. I ran a 1/2M with an "above the neck".

I had a PW and did not recover for three weeks.
  • Increase the miles per week slowly. Two steps forward, one step back. Don't get carried away. When you can 5 miles without stopping - you've cracked it.
  • get yer arse out of the door for a run even if you don't want to go - you'll feel better for doing it

[fb puts feet up and pops another Stella open.......aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh........]
  • Don't run on your heels!
  • In training:

Whatever you do, do it gradually and progressively - your fitness will not improve instantly but it WILL improve and after a few weeks you will start to notice a real difference.

Start slow - warm up, build up - finish strong.

Finish each run feeling as if you could still do more.

Listen to your body - in time you will learn how - pay early attention to any aches or pains.

After each run rest, recover, replenish and rehydrate.

Keep at it - don't let any setbacks get you down.
  • if you can run on varying terrains like grass and trails, kinder on your legs.

never run if you have a sore throat, very bad cold and so on.

treat yourself to a massage every so often.
  • Don't avoid hills, the sooner your start to tackle them, the easier all your running becomes. Don't forget to mutter the mantra 'Hills are friends, hils are friends, hills are friends...'
  • pay attention to obstacles in your path especially if you run on trails, look a couple of metres ahead and avoid tripping, turning your ankles, etc.
  • Don't run if it hurts.

See an expert if it does.

Spend a year running slowly before starting to run fast.
  • And look out for m
    i
    n
    e
    s
    h
    a
    t
    s

• Don't buy "good" running shoes, buy ones that are right for your gait. THIS APPLIES EVEN IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER. The number of times beginners have told me "I don't want fancy shoes, I'm only a beginner..."
  • :)

Don't start!

seriously though, take it easy on downhills at first, get proper shoes, eat as soon as you get back from a run, if it hurts so much you need ibuprofen to run on it then you shouldn't be running, & remember to have a long-term goal of being able to run in 10 years, which is more important than whatever your current race is.

Oh, and never talk to ultrarunners, fell runners, or triathletes.
  • mineshats?

Look out for poo's you have done? >=-o
  • If you can run 1/4 mile in 60 seconds then you will avoid injury if a bunch of chavs shout abuse at you and you tell them to F**K OFF!
  • Unless your GP has an specific interest in sports injuries you are better off going to see a physio to get treatment and advise if you need it.
  • Fell Running & Mineshafts

Don't run into lamp-posts, cows, marshals in fluro jackets, people, or trees (or anything else).
  • Keeping atraining log is a useful way to track your mileage and type of run. You can build up gradually and vary your training properly. Try: www.fetcheveryone.com
  • Don't spend ££££s on expensive running shoes. Learn how to run properly in racing flats.

Don't try and follow the schedules in popular running magazines advocating speedwork for 4 hour marathons. You'll get injured with a low aerobic base. Run lots of easy / steady miles instead.

Run every day if you can. It keeps the legs loose.
  • BR Everyone without exception that I know who has done speedwork has got injured running. In five years of running with no speedwork I have never got injured running - mind you I am bloody slow!