Options

Track running

I'm running the FLM this year and it is my first marathon. I'm a bit of a beginner to running and need a few tips.

I have access to a running track during the week at my work place. Is it ok for me to run on the track during the week and run on the road at the weekends. I live in quite a rural hilly part of Wales so would get some variation in terrain at the weekend.

Comments suggestions and tips welcome.

Visit me here

Comments

• Options
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't train on the track - although it might be a bit dull trying to do, say 10 miles, on one. And, of course, tracks are ideal for speedwork.

I suggest that if you are running significant distances on the track you should change direction every now and again (running clockwise as well as the conventional anti-clockwise) so that you balance the strain on your body.
  • Options
    donutto,

Thanks for the advice. Speedwork, more like lack of speed-work in my case. It can get a bit boring but then as the track is at the university I can always shout abuse at the lazy arsed students as I go round.

That'll teach them for beating my team at five a side. Bet they're scared too!