Options

Shoes for duathlon

Hello,

Numpty question :-

I'm doing my first ever duathlon in a couple of weeks - 5km run, 20km bike (road, hilly), 5km run. Is it worth changing from running shoes to bike shoes and back again, or should I just swap my pedals for some with toe clips, and keep my runners on for the whole thing...?

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't bother changing, OK you lose a bit of time, but its the faffing about which would do my head in.

Asics have just launched a new shoe for triathletes which you may find suitable.

I think they are called the Forster.

Nice orange and yellow ones they are. You'll like 'em.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Dave - I asked about those shoes and the only tri-specific thing is the elastic laces, but they do look nice I agree!
  • Options
    Hi Debbo, I agree, thats what they said in the latest running magazine about the laces, although I've never seen a pair.

I also thought that the shoes might be faster draining or drying and a bit more robust, more of a racing road shoe perhaps with less cushioning. But its only my guess.

• Options
    It's only a sprint so the time saved by using clip-ins on the bike would be doubtful compared to the time spent changing shoes(twice) between disciplines.
    If you have some racing trainers with stiffer soles then use them to minimise the loss of power on the bike from compressing the cusioning of the shoe when you pedal.
  • Options
    Personally I am gonna disagree sorry. I suppose it depends on the level you are cycling at but the time lost over 20k can be more than the time it takes to change shoes.

If you break down each discipline, after the first run you have to put the helmet on before you touch the bike, you could have the shoes off before you have done up the helmet.

Bike shoes attached off you go, you lose minimal seconds putting them on and strapping them while moving.

Coming in to T2, you have to rack bike, shoes left on bike, take off helmet and the 15 secs it takes to pull a pair of trainers on with elastic laces is certainly less than the time you will lose on a hilly bike course which is going to take over 30 mins.

I agree, if you haven't practised with shoes attached to bike and don't have elastic laces then it may outweigh each other.

Plus I have to disagree with Smiffy cos he justs swims a little, bike a little and runs some and I have to write it all down ;-)
  • Options
    You are just jealous of my cute tattoo.
  • Options
    Love it mate, very impressive. And jealous, of course !
  • Options
    Another point is....that unless you really care about 10 seconds then its good practice for Tri to do the bike to run transition. So use it as transition practice.

I thought tri was all about the kit anyway?
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

This is something I need to ponder (and practice) some more....
  • Options
    i've got some asics forsters i like them very nice thank you!
  • Options
    I've only ever had one race in my life, a fell run last weekend. So I am hardly qualified to comment, but unless you are pushing for a place in the top 20 of the race, I'd say worry less about a few seconds transition, and focus more on whats easier and less hassle.

Buy some orange and yellow Forsters. Their made for the job, and you'll look trendy.

...worry about the changeovers when you are in major league (assuming you are not already).

all the best.
  • Options
    you'll fit in here Dave, we all comment and none of us are qualified, I have to laugh tho, do you have a mate that sells Forsters ? You are pushing them but you said you have never seen any ... lol !;-)

The only tri specific thing about Forsters is the elastic laces, so they are made for taking off and getting on quickly, not much cushioning but this isn't needed for sprints etc anyway.

If the suggestion is for Norma to use the same pair of shoes for the whole race there is no point in getting a pair that are designed to come off/put on in a hurry.

If you want to go with Dave's suggestion of doing the race in one pair, which is a viable option, your normal running shoes will do with the option of getting straps for the pedals, if you decide to change then make sure you practise before the race because although things like the Forster have been invented to help you speed through transition it can still go very Pete Tong.
  • Options
    I normally change, my first practise was in a race. It only takes about 10 secs max to change anyway and I am sure more time is made up by using proper bike shoes. As others have said go for elastic laces in your trainers.
  • Options
    I wish I had shares in Asics, but I own of few varieties of their shoes and they're great.

Thats as far as my bias goes, although being partially colour blind, the wacky colours appeal to me.
  • Options
    Norma - I did my first and one and only duathlon last week and went through the same debate as you in advance of the race. In the end I decided that (a) as I hadn't had time to practice in bike shoes and (b) I would probably loose more time in transition than i would on the bike (as this is my weakess dicipline), I went with the same shoes throughout option. I firmly believe that this was the right decision for me as i had 2 sub 60sec transitions, no extra flaffing and panicking and I got a top 5 finish...

As the distances are so short, and this is your first one, I would go with what you are comfortable with... if you are worrying about it now, then cut out that worry and stick with the same shoes... then you can concentrate on the race and hopefully enjoy it at the same time.

goodluck.
  • Options
    Thanks Spans - that's the conclusion I was coming to myself. Although I've done lots of cycling in bike shoes, I've never done the shoes on pedals thing, and as my shoes aren't tri-specific, they've got lots of straps to fiddle with. Think I'll stick with runners for this event, and practice changing for next time.

Well done on your top five finish - fantastic stuff.
  • Options
    Top 5 finish well done, what is it with Zilla and women who are better at multisport than him??
  • Options
    LOL!!!

I've had that same thought...I wish I'd thought of that :~(

p.s.

Seems RichM has taken that apporach too *ouch*
  • Options
    Norma, dont worry, Its my first Duathlon, I am seriously crap at the moment, and I sahll be changing shoes purely for the prcatice in tranistion so that when I get fitter and can actually race instead of pureluy trying to get round.. then I have soem experience under my number belt..
  • Options
    i just like fit women Smithy...

In fairness i beat her bike time (last time that may happen), she out ran me by yonks, and i spent 27 mins in transition changing my shoes, stupid double knots.