Options

Wednesday session

Last night did my planned hour long run (7-8 miles) but at a harder pace than planned - for the first time in a long time I was running almost pain free (but I'm feeling it a bit today! - must be careful).

Today: Probably cross train in (home) gym; 20 minutes bike, 20 minutes row.
Why: Cross training really seems to be working.
Days since rest: 5
Days since hard: 4 (Long run)

Oh yes and treated myself to a new pair of 2070's which should be nicely broken in by marathon (6 weeks on Sunday)

Comments

• Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hurray! Had a really good, fast run with the club yesterday and feel much more motivated. V-rap, thanks for your message yesterday, it's good to know that bad runs just sometimes happen for no apparent reason. Made me feel much better.

What: swim, 30 mins of frontcrawl
    Why: cos it's an easy/rest day, the sun is shining, the sky is blue and the outdoor pool will be open
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: sunday
  • Options
    Lovely day today... for now.

What: Gardening and gym session with possibly treadmill session but might swap that for cross trainer for 30mins. Give the knee a break. It's not sore but I'm thinking I shouldn't push it.

Why: Easy day yesterday and garden needs weeding and sorting.

Last Hard Day: Monday
    Last Rest Day: Tuesday
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Must have been a good day yesterday,Road Runner! I had a really good, fast run too - was shocked to discover I'd run 4 miles in 26:50. Re-measured the route when I got home and found I'd made a mistake and it was actually under 4 miles (though not by much). Was still pleased though as it took me just over 26 minutes to complete 5K in my Race for Life in June, so I've definitely got better. The dreaded speedwork must be paying off! Anyway, today:

What: 3-ish miles with 5 x 2 minute intervals and 2 minute recoveries.
    Why: There's always the desire to get faster ...
    Last hard: Yesterday's tempo run.
    Last rest: Monday.
  • Options
    Minkin

Back to back hard days? Tsk! Tsk!
  • Options
    What - rest day today and tomorrow
    why - working away from home and will be driving until late both days
    last hard sun
    last rest today

Martin I bought some 2070's 2 to 3 months ago. After Brooks Beast's they feel really light and flexible but I like them.
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Minkin

Speedwork does seem to work, doesn't it?! I'm fairly new at this but it has already made a difference.

Martin's right though, you need an easy day today.

RR
  • Options
    I'm back!

Ran twice in Boston, for 30min (Sunday), 20min (Monday) - awful heat (in the 30's) and high humidity and jet lag curbed enthusiasm.

Today's run: 4+m, 50ish minutes. I'm very happy with that. It's my new route, took the dog with who adapted well to the changes (she's an opinionated old thing), played about with the speed, and still got home thinking that I wouldn't have to spend quite all day in bed. And that's having flown home yesterday (after which I did spend all day in bed). I can see this replacing my 3m route without too much problem.

At the wedding tried dancing, rather sobering. I still have a way to go before my legs are quite like other peoples. I can either feel quite proud therefore, to be running as fast as I am, or rather silly, to be attempting to run "races" while hardly out of geriatric duck status.

On the whole, I'd rather feel proud than silly, so I will. But truth to tell, I think I feel a bizarre combination of both.
  • Options
    Welcome back, Marj - pleased to see you're setting us an example by not using a long journey and a wedding as an excuse to veg out!

I'm not posting an exercise session today because I don't know what I'm going to do. After all that moaning about turning into a dishcloth yesterday, I had a migraine (my migraines, which are rare events, are pathetic little things compared to the overwhelming fatigue which always heralds them in, although it was interesting to note that none of the last few patients in my evening surgery was rude enough to comment on the fact that my right eye was half-closed and various muscles on that side of my face were flickering). A few hours later, I felt better than I had for a couple of days.

So I might be up for a long run later. Or I might not. We'll see.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Like you Martin, I'm a firm believer in not practising what I preach!

Yesterday didn't really feel very hard, and wasn't that far, so I'm afarid I'm still doing the speed session tonight! (I DID have a rest day on Monday). I'll do an easy session tomorrow, promise ...
  • Options
    What: my 4.1 mile circuit. Planning to go off at sub 6:10 pace (as with longer hard runs I've been doing recently) & see if I can wind it up from halfway
    Why: building speed endurance
    last hard day: Monday
    last proper rest day : last Wednesday
    last non-run day: Saturday

Minkin - "spiking" is I believe the term for what you're doing. I'm sure I came across this in RW 2 or 3 years back. Favoured by some African athletes as a means of taking their performance to a higher level.
    Must carry an element of risk, but as long as you feel reasonably fresh & you're not forcing yourself to do this run, I'd have thought it was minimal. Enjoy!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    What : Long run around 8-10 miles depending on when I go.
    Why : midweek long(ish) run
  • Options
    What: 6 miles easy, 60-65%
    Why: You're supposed to vary hard and easy day aren't you?

Toying with idea of Kendal 1/2 marathon on Monday. But the longest road run I;ve done in the last month is 9 miles.

Hope you don't often have to work with a migraine Vrap. Though with a twitching face you may have encouraged your patients not to spend too long describing their symptoms. As an efficiency drive it's to be commended.
  • Options
    Hot and sunny :o)

Last nights long steady run turned in to a hard off-road 10k due to my normal training partners being away racing, so I went out with the clubs fast pack

What:
    AM) Swim 1600m (4x400m Build Intervals)
    Lunch) Swim 1200m (Drills)
    PM) Turbo Trainer (30-60mins)
    Why:
    Woke up sharp so added a swim session and going to the chiropractor this afternoon so not enough time to go out to road bike.

Last Hard Day: Today
    Last Hard Run: Tuesday
    Last Rest Day: Sunday
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: VERY leisurely swim/jacuzzi/steam room session.
    Why: 15 miles last night (longest ever training run) has had quite an effect.

Planned to do 11 - 11.5 min miles, but did first 7.5 miles in 78 minutes. Met up with Mr Nessie and his mountain bike at half way. A colleague of his who is also doing Loch Ness had been passing by, and asked to join us as her running partner is on holiday. Unfortunatley she is a lot faster than me. Kept up with her pace (under 10 min miles) for about 2.5 miles, then had to slow right down. Last 2 miles were agony, but I really think that I could have run the whole way and more if I had stuck at an easier pace.

Had to take the lift this morning though! :-)

Last rest: Saturday
    Last hard: Yesterday
  • Options
    Last nights speedwork was something new for me - round the outside of the playing fields, ran one side steady pace, next side faster around 10k pace, next side faster again then last side recovery jog - then repeat 4 times. Felt quite tired today, so may do 3-4 miles easy or may just go for a swim.
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest: Sun
  • Options
    What: Facial & Massage tonight
    Why: Be nice to me day
    Last hard day: yesterday 7 mile hilly run
  • Options
    What:
    AM - 2300m swim
    PM - 9 miles easy
    Why: Midweek mid-distance run
    Last hard day - Yesterday
    Last Rest - Thursday
  • Options
    What: 21 mile bike
    Why: Midweek bike session
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Monday

Went fairly steady at the the club 9 mile fartlek run last night and consequently felt fairly fresh during todays ride, so managed a 20.2 mph average without killing myself.

mm
  • Options
    What: Easy run and weightlifting/stamina circuit

Why: to work on increasingly spindly-looking upper body, as I do a lot more lifting in the winter months (when running less) than in summer. My upper body muscles definition waxes and wanes, according to the season!

Last hard day: yesterday.

Last rest: Monday.

V-rap, sorry to hear you suffer migraine. Take care.

DC
  • Options
    What: 4.3 mile club run, running at 8min/mile pace (maybe) (first night at club, excited!)

Why: Can't manage the longer club circuit tonight and am way behind schedule for GSR

Last hard: Can't remember (all felt hard lately, been ill)

Last rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    What: rest day

Why: usually my scheduled night off and put off doing extra taekwon-do class because of mortifying incident with hair dye, lots of sweat and white tkd suit at last night's class...

Last rest day: Saturday

Last hard day: yesterday's class!

Whoops I really should be posting about running here, but tkd seems to be taking over my life at the moment...

• Options
    But, Fiona, according to your photo you haven't got any hair. Precisely where did you put the dye?

Hope it comes out of the suit OK.

I'm sure we've got plenty of space aboard the forums for runners whose first-choice sport is something other than running. Does this mean that if you meet someone sinister up a dark alley you'll chop them in two instead of running away?
  • Options
    Actually managed to get out on my road bike for 70mins tonight – much better than a turbo trainer – Did a very hilly loop just short of race distance for my next Tri – felt good – average speed was actually up on last outing, only 1kph but still up :o)

Will
  • Options
    Well done Nessie!

What: 10 mile midweek recovery run.
    Feeling ok once I got moving. Should have done easy 4m this morning but too hot to sleep last night & my legs were still doing efforts on the track.
    Then backed All in one Banana cake, should lat me till the weekend.
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: 12 days ago.
  • Options
    Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    Thanks V-rap, suit seems to be ok today post-Vanish tablet. And believe me, I have more hair than the "photo" would have you believe!

As for chopping them up, I'm more likely to be able to scare them to death with any number of wierd grunts, shouts and kicks, before puffing away at 10kph!!! :)

I'm trying to weight the tkd and running as equally important, but doesn't always work out that way.

• Options
    Well, I'm really disappointed with myself tonight. I spent all day in the garden weeding and planting late summer flowers and forgot to apply syncream to the sides of my legs - sunburnt. Not only that, I went to the gym this evening and couldn't get throught the workout... 20mins stepper and 10mins treadmill and decided I was flogging myself half to death. So I left and didn't even do any weights. I wouldn't mind but I was really in the mood for a long hard workout and before I knew it I was shattered. I think it was dehydration related. I have drunk water all day long but obviously not enough... and I didn't sleep well last night (the nearer I'm getting to Friday, the less I'm sleeping).
  • Options
    Also a rather disappointing outing. Went out at slightly too fast a pace, and as a result was unable to accelerate from halfway. Ended up struggling to hold onto 6:07 minute mile pace; overall time was 25:21 when I was looking for 25:00 (6 minute mile pace would have been 24:47).
  • Options
    Hey Cath, got fingers still crossed for you for Friday. Marj
  • Options
    Report on last nights first club run. Wow it was bloody fantastic running around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens and the weather was perfect, sunny with a gentle breeze and not too hot. Loads of people were outside enjoying fresh air weather they we cycling roller blading, playing football etc., even saw archery going on. Next week we will attempt the longer run which also involves running around St James Park and up the Mall, a total run of around 7.5 miles

I ran much better than I could expect what with recovering from my bad chest, did the 4.3 miles in about 34mins, so I was on a real high afterwards and still am. Can't wait for next week, it can't come soon enough!